To have a newfound respect for Dustin Hoffman?

(38 Posts)

After seeing this ?

I found it very touching to see someone 'get it'

NoComet Wed 10-Jul-13 01:37:43

Thanks for sharing, that a fascinating insight in women's minds for me too.

I'm not beautiful, but I am clever and so not being beautiful doesn't bother me. I scrub up well enough when I need to and that's always been enough for me.

I've always been very content in my own skin and, I think that's very liberating.

garlicsmutty Wed 10-Jul-13 03:38:10

another vote of thanks for this thread smile

LostLion Wed 10-Jul-13 03:48:46

That is a really lovely bit of self-reflection.

I think I just fell a little bit in love with Dustin Hoffman.

Longdistance Wed 10-Jul-13 04:08:29

I've always admired him for the roles he's played.

He seems rather intelligent with the way he conducts himself as an actor.

Thanks for putting that up op smile

SixPackWellies Wed 10-Jul-13 06:44:21

I was not expecting to be moved as I can be a bit of a hardened cycnic, but that was moving. How honest he was about it all.

MardyBra Thu 11-Jul-13 00:07:56

Good on you Dustin. I've always had respect for him as an actor although I've always found the Lawrence Olivier "try acting, dear boy" anecdote quite amusing.

As a dumpy middle-aged not-particularly-attractive woman I am increasingly finding that I am ignored and passed over in social situations where people don't know me. I was recently at a party where, on a couple of occasions, I was just about to open my mouth and come out with some killer lines. But the person I was about to engage with would suddenly move on to someone else.

It isn't just men. I am aware that younger, thinner or more beautiful women sometimes write me off as uninteresting because I'm less aesthetically pleasing than them.

Luckily I seem to hold my own once people take the time to get to know me. smile

shewhowines Thu 11-Jul-13 00:11:17

What have his women been like since?

softlysoftly Thu 11-Jul-13 00:20:33

I like him and the video but I'm calling american bullshit on the tears. Would have been perfect insight without them.

He married his second wife before Tootsie, shew.

shewhowines Thu 11-Jul-13 00:28:28

Probably a decent guy then, if his Hollywood marriage has lasted that long. Sounds as if he may well have put his money where his mouth is. He hasn't traded his wife in, for a younger, newer model, as they usually do.

softlysoftly Thu 11-Jul-13 00:28:50

Who runs "Lisa Hoffman Beauty"....

But all credit for sticking with his wife, he seems fairly clean cut rare in his line of work.

ophelia275 Thu 11-Jul-13 08:40:20

Dustin Hoffman is one of my favourite actors. He seems like a genuinely nice guy and Tootsie is a great film.

workingtitle Thu 11-Jul-13 08:46:36

Wow, thanks for sharing. What an insightful man.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now