To sellotape a bow to her head and have done with it?

(104 Posts)

Whenever I take DD (8mo) anywhere, she always gets mistaken for a boy. This doesn't bother me at all - she's bald as a coot, never wears pastel pink (hate the colour), rarely wears dresses, is often in some of her brother's hand-me-downs, and let's face it, babies of that age are are often pretty andogynous anyway.

So anyway, I really don't care if people think she's a boy - it matters not a jot. If they ask 'his' name, I'll tell them (obviously girl's name), or say '"she's 8mo" or whatever. The past few weeks I've had people absolutely ranting at me, telling me I should make it clear she's a girl, I should stop putting her in boy's clothes (once she was wearing stripy yellow and brown leggings, once a blue and white spotted dress ), I'll scar her for life if I insist on dressing her as a boy, she's very ugly for a girl (silly cow, she's gorgeous), plus a whole load of other crap, and I'm fed up. I don't care if people think she's a boy, but I do find some of the comments quite hurtful.

Do I just shop with a load of nutters? Today, for example, she's wearing stripy multicoloured leggings with bows on and a bright purple t-shirt, and I still had some arse of a woman telling me off for dressing her in boy's clothes. So, WIBU to sellotape a bow to her head? Alternatively, if anyone could come up with a good response for me ("did you mean to be so rude" just escalates the ranting), that would be fab!

elfycat Wed 10-Jul-13 11:28:23

A daft lady in a supermarket told me off for having a girl. Apparently she had a 'boy shaped head' confused DD1 was about 6 months at this point.

WTF is a boy-shaped head?

I didn't over-pink her and she was in a navy blue Kari-Me wrap, but still.

TeWiSavesTheDay Wed 10-Jul-13 11:39:33

I always wonder if they would say yes if you offered to strip your babies nappy off and prove it!

Snort at babygros with "THIS CHILD HAS A VAGINA" on them. I just really don't get the people who ask "Are you sure?" or try to convince you that you're wrong. I have to say, after having DS I was ready for all sorts of judgy comments, but I never thought I'd be told off for the clothes I put on DD.

Badvoc Wed 10-Jul-13 12:36:02

Someone actually told you your dd was ugly?
<shakes head at the mind numbingly shitty, crass, cruel and vindictive things people say>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now