To sellotape a bow to her head and have done with it?

(104 Posts)

Whenever I take DD (8mo) anywhere, she always gets mistaken for a boy. This doesn't bother me at all - she's bald as a coot, never wears pastel pink (hate the colour), rarely wears dresses, is often in some of her brother's hand-me-downs, and let's face it, babies of that age are are often pretty andogynous anyway.

So anyway, I really don't care if people think she's a boy - it matters not a jot. If they ask 'his' name, I'll tell them (obviously girl's name), or say '"she's 8mo" or whatever. The past few weeks I've had people absolutely ranting at me, telling me I should make it clear she's a girl, I should stop putting her in boy's clothes (once she was wearing stripy yellow and brown leggings, once a blue and white spotted dress ), I'll scar her for life if I insist on dressing her as a boy, she's very ugly for a girl (silly cow, she's gorgeous), plus a whole load of other crap, and I'm fed up. I don't care if people think she's a boy, but I do find some of the comments quite hurtful.

Do I just shop with a load of nutters? Today, for example, she's wearing stripy multicoloured leggings with bows on and a bright purple t-shirt, and I still had some arse of a woman telling me off for dressing her in boy's clothes. So, WIBU to sellotape a bow to her head? Alternatively, if anyone could come up with a good response for me ("did you mean to be so rude" just escalates the ranting), that would be fab!

coronalover Tue 09-Jul-13 18:56:27

Next time someone gives you grief give a furtive glance around, then tell them in a hushed voice that you are actually a nanny and that she is the DD of a v high profile/VIP couple, and that you have to dress her in 'boys' clothes because she's incognito and you are supposed to avoid her being papped! Spin it out for as long as you can smile

She is totally gorgeous btw!

Beamae Tue 09-Jul-13 19:09:11

Maybe we should all get these and blow their tiny minds!

twistedtwee.co.uk/equal-opportunity-babygrows-c-23.html

wickedwithofthenorth Tue 09-Jul-13 19:41:18

Hair doesn't help! Dd has a stupid amout, always up in bunches or clipped back and still gets call a boy!
I'm related by marrage to the type of nutters who will insit babies need to wear pink or blue and that you are wrong about the sex of your own baby!
Dh's grandmother did't believe dd was dd until she witnessed a nappy change at christmas, yes because we'd lie about baby's gender for 7 weeks, batty woman. Bil regaled us with the tales of her telling everyone that that baby just can't be a girl. Luckily she didn't have the nerve to say it to dh or I she'd have been run over by the very heavy pram. She freely addmits she wanted us to have a boy.

MsJupiterJones Tue 09-Jul-13 19:49:00

DS gets the reverse, people fall over themselves to apologise that they have mistaken him for a girl. The horror!

He is very pretty smile and we dress him in bright colours although I really want to buy him this just to fuck with people's minds...

Buzzardbird Tue 09-Jul-13 19:53:15

Ah, she is cute. A pink slide though? You will scar her for life!

LifeSavedbyLego Tue 09-Jul-13 19:56:43

I had this with ds2. He was very pretty, so unless he was in blue, people assumed he was a girl. Even colours like red which I thought were pretty neutral, nope. not a mistake ever made about ds1, he has grown into his features - bless him.

I don't get it. Presumable for this reason words like they and child were made along with phrases such as "oh they are gorgeous, what's their name?"

Though TBF I was somewhat taken about how hung up about the gender of babies people get. First question when pregnant - oh is it a boy or a girl, second question do you want a boy or a girl. Fucksake.

FridaKarlov Tue 09-Jul-13 20:36:55

I have a girl and don't like pink. I told relatives this before she was born. We were deluged with pink stuff from well meaning but selectively deaf aunties.

Funghoul Tue 09-Jul-13 20:40:11

Gender is a hang up, you're right, and answering with just a healthy baby isn't acceptable! confused
Admittedly dd wears lots of pink and dresses, but this is because these clothes were bought for her. Personally I can't wait until she grows into the run DMC t shirt I bought her that my mum says a girl cannot wear!
How anyone can call a baby ugly is beyond me, your dd is anything but. grin

rootypig Tue 09-Jul-13 20:58:07

fairyjen the-pippa-and-ike-show.com/ has Mexican blankets

DameFanny Tue 09-Jul-13 21:28:03

Going back to the original what can you say back... How about "why do you need to know my baby's sex, are you some kind of PEEDO or wot?" Delivered in a screech, obv.

Or (although she is a gorgeous little dot) "well you say she's ugly but she's got plenty of time to grow into her looks. You on the other hand..."

DameFanny Tue 09-Jul-13 21:31:52

Oh, but you might want to swap the buggy for a racing one grin

I love this thread. Some people are completely batty! What the hell does it matter who wears what colour? I think society is very strange atm. Ds1(17) told me the other day that only girls and gay men wear pink, and I have no idea where he has got this from.

Anyway I have come up a solution to your dilemma op.

You need bows with Velcro on, and then attach the other piece of Velcro to your dd's head. Tbh I find araldite the best glue on the market.

You can then mix and match the bow according to the outfit. This isn't on the market yet, so I am going to patent the idea before anyone else. Would you like me to send you a prototype?

Spidder Tue 09-Jul-13 22:20:27

I don't actually think they look like girls or boys until they're about 3- especially if they have curly hair.

People think dd (20) months is boy all the time. dh gets a bit upset about it, but I pointed out that people thought I was a boy until I was 5 (mum was once asked if we were Scottish hmm ), but no one thinks I look like a bloke now. grin

For whoever noticed the pink slide in the background - it's actually DS's - it was orange but has faded over the past couple of years, so it's him I'm scarring for life I suppose grin.

Loving all the suggestions - soaccidentprone you should definitely go ahead, it's not any more bonkers than baby wigs really smile

::puts araldite and velcro on shopping list::

Thank you all for making me laugh, and telling me that DD is in fact gorgeous. I actually got quite upset about the ugly comment (DD was very prem and I am a bit precious sensitive about her), especially as DH helpfully pointed out that babies are quite ugly really, when you look at it objectively hmm. Thanks DH.

rednellie Tue 09-Jul-13 22:47:21

I got mistaken for a boy up until I was about 16. I even had a woman in a dress shop sniggering to her friend because she thought I was a teenage boy trying on a dress. Oh yes.

I am in no way masculine looking, I just had the temerity to be tall and have short hair. There was one advantage, I never got id for anything.

And I can confirm I am a very womanly woman now with very few no gender issues. grin You're baby is a sweetie. Just nut the next idiot who says anything.

MsJupiterJones Tue 09-Jul-13 22:47:56

Soaccident, you jest, but...

baldybabybows.com/

Oh. My. God. They actually sell bows you glue to your baby's head?! There aren't enough shock faces in the world...

Seriously, what kind of loon must you be to think, every thinks DD is a boy, so I'll glue a bow to her head?

everyone

OMG I don't know whether to be shock or angry

MsJupiterJones Tue 09-Jul-13 22:57:20

Horrific.

blackbirdatglanmore Tue 09-Jul-13 23:03:25

She's gorgeous and I think she looks like a girl! So there! Honestly, I'm not just saying that to appease you, she's a very cute looking baby. Silly mare. And it was rude!

Dd1 had loads of hair, usually wore pink or purple hand me downs and people often asked how old he was or what a lovely boy I had. In the end I reasoned that people who knew me knew she was a girl and people who didn't know me were generally happy with a smile and a nod and no need to correct them. Strangely ds has never been mistaken for a girl despite my lazy approach to haircuts.

Spidder Tue 09-Jul-13 23:04:09

I'd want a bigger bow. They just look like sweets have got stuck. You want something that really screams 'girl'. Blue would definitely be out.

blondieminx Tue 09-Jul-13 23:07:41

shock the FAQ on that website - um, no one frequently asks wtf you'd GLUE a bow to your baby's HEAD???

Some og the comments are really scary:
^"I think these baby bows are adorable!
I'm very excited about it! Finally a
product that works so I don't have to
loose my bows to K Y Jelly or Karo Syrup!"^

What was she using before? Superglue? Plus ick at using KY on your baby's head.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now