to want to push this performance parent off the train?

(122 Posts)
K8Middleton Tue 09-Jul-13 13:39:42

I'm on the London to Brighton train. There is a man with a four year old boy loudly performance parenting. The kid wants to just look out the window but every time he just sits quietly performance dad starts with Tim [not his real name], can you see the children? Tim, let's count to 40! Tiiiiiiim, where is the window? Is it on the left or right? Tiiiiiiiiim, when you go to school what month with it be?

AIBU to shove him out the window?

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Tue 09-Jul-13 13:40:26

Make a call. Talk loudly about performance parenting.

grin

YoniWheretheSunDontShine Tue 09-Jul-13 13:41:36

No, the boy may have SP and his parents may be trying to simply engage him with the world around him.

You have to work extra hard with some people on the autism range, and when out and about is a perfect time to do it.

I would happily give you a nice shove off the train......smile

Amrapaali Tue 09-Jul-13 13:41:56

Sit back and enjoy the performance. You'll get tips on how NOT to parent.

Very useful, IMO

Turniptwirl Tue 09-Jul-13 13:42:31

It's not unreasonable to performance parent that's his choice

It is unreasonable to share that choice with everyone in the vicinity!

Agree with PP for your revenge

1Veryhungrycaterpillar Tue 09-Jul-13 13:43:24

Next time take ear phones!

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Tue 09-Jul-13 13:44:34

As the mother of two on the autistic spectrum I say let them look out the bloody window if they want to! grin

pianodoodle Tue 09-Jul-13 13:44:54

Maybe Tim will push him smile

K8Middleton Tue 09-Jul-13 13:45:21

I can safely say the child does not have SP or other SEN

Corkyandviolet Tue 09-Jul-13 13:47:16

I hope you're not still in London, this could be a very long journey! I used to get stuck with trainspotters on the Cologne to Brussels train, it was infuriating! "Is that a 51342?" "Yes, but we've seen that one before. Let's note it down anyway." And yes, they really do bring cheese sandwiches with them!

Tiggles Tue 09-Jul-13 13:51:37

Can you performance parent child back.
I was on a train once when DS2 must have been about 2 years old, not performance parenting in anyway. When the family next to me were playing I spy. The mother decided that DS2 should be able to play I spy with her children. "Surely DS2 you must be able to play I spy by now". I could have cheerfully pushed her off the train.

Maybe you could do similar for this DS, ask him some really hard questions, way over his ability, and look surprised to the dad when child looks blank.

SelfRighteousPrissyPants Tue 09-Jul-13 13:52:35

The performance parenting I saw last week on the train was funnier. Dad making pretend farting noises and blaming daughter grin

Hecsy my friend's DS is autistic and she would be overjoyed if he spent a train journey looking out of the window. sad

K8Middleton Tue 09-Jul-13 13:56:10

I had taken action. I have passed a sleeping infant to PP and said "You'll need to be quiet now".

"Yes" replies pp. "I've told Tim to be quiet" shock

"No, I meant you" I said.

Peace is restored.

StillInBigKnickers Tue 09-Jul-13 13:56:14

Better than 'shut up you little shit' - heard on a bus last week.
(child showing parent where their friend lived out the window. 6y/old ish? Ignored repeatedly, then the above). sad

LEMisdisappointed Tue 09-Jul-13 14:09:53

Brilliant!!!

YoniWheretheSunDontShine Tue 09-Jul-13 14:11:43

This could be the only moment he has with the DC, I cant think of a more perfect time to engage with them.

Autism comes in many different forms, my cousins DS was spotted as having it at two/three ish Gm flagged it up as he wasnt pointing at things or noticing.

They hired a permanent person - to accompany them as they travelled round the world to engage with him.

Maryann1975 Tue 09-Jul-13 14:15:12

Poor child though. It's a boiling hot day, all they want to do is watch the world go by and their interfering parent keeps disturbing them. If it were me, I would be glad for the peace and quiet!

NigelMolesworth Tue 09-Jul-13 14:17:52

grin

ImaHexGirl Tue 09-Jul-13 14:21:01

OP, is it your DH that is guilty of being the PP? grin

Still, that is so sad sad

DameFanny Tue 09-Jul-13 14:22:17

I was going to suggest asking Tim if he wanted a fruit shoot till I saw your update grin

notsochic Tue 09-Jul-13 14:32:13

grin

ViviPru Tue 09-Jul-13 14:41:03

LTB

grin

OrangeLily Tue 09-Jul-13 14:54:18

haha is it your DH/DP that is the performance parent? Poor you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now