To want to know what the NSPCC actually do?

(136 Posts)
EDMNWiganSalfordandBlackpool Tue 09-Jul-13 08:17:08

Just that really, how are they putting an end to abuse? Surely it has to be passed on to ss anyway. So I want to know what their roll is and what all the donations go to.

mercibucket Tue 09-Jul-13 08:19:27

was thinking this last night too. was it their advert that started you thinking? do they have a helpline?

ComposHat Tue 09-Jul-13 08:19:49

I worked for social services for and I often wondered this.

It seems they spend millions of pounds on high profile marketing campaigns promoting the NSPCC.

EDMNWiganSalfordandBlackpool Tue 09-Jul-13 08:25:54

Yes I saw an advert.

I know they have produced workshops were they send volunteers into schools to talk about abuse but I have worries about that as inexperienced adults who are not qualified and don't know the family situation and go ploughing in like bulls worry me.

But I have worked in schools, have friends who are social workers and don't know anyone who has had dealings outside of fundraising with them.

MalcolmTuckersMum Tue 09-Jul-13 08:31:05

Yes - the current TV ad has that man's voice really emphasising the PLEEEEEEEEEEASE. I hate these disaster adverts anyway but this particular one really doesn't sit well with me

Montybojangles Tue 09-Jul-13 08:36:00

Dont they run and fund childline?

CarpeVinum Tue 09-Jul-13 08:38:20

It was a very very long time ago, I was a teenager, I am now in my mid forties. But they were the only ones who did anything of substance to help my sibs and myself. They were the ones who put pressure on my father, and they shot accross his bow making him more leery about sailing so close to the wind again.

Compared to the school pastoral officer, the spcial workers, they came accross like they actually gave a damn as us as (pint sized) humans rather than "case numbers".

Have no idea if it's still the same. Hope so. Made a huge difference to us.

EDMNWiganSalfordandBlackpool Tue 09-Jul-13 08:41:19

Ah do they fund childline?
Carpe sorry to hear your story, do they actually have people who go out to families?

cornypony Tue 09-Jul-13 08:44:02

They came into a school once where I was working which was in a deprived inner city area.
The lady representing the NSPCC presented an assembly gushing about how the NSPCC helped ....deprived children.
It was incredibly inappropriate. Very David Brent.

WipsGlitter Tue 09-Jul-13 08:47:11

They fundraise for and manage Childline.

They have a helpline where you can pass on concerns about children.

They run a huge range of locally based services - working with children and families who have experienced sexual abuse or domestic violence, with children who a displaying signs of sexually inappropriate behaviour, with fathers who have been violent towards their children, with families where one parent had a mental health problem (to help the child cope with this), are a few of their services. These services are run by trained social workers. You can find out more here: link

They run the childline schools service, the volunteers are highly trained and would know not to 'plough in like bulls', they have a comprehensive disclosure protocol and referal system.

They also raise awareness of abuse.

Balaboosta Tue 09-Jul-13 09:29:28

I hate hate hate their adverts and campaigns. The latest one is about teaching parents to teach their children that "the area in their pants" is private. Vile intrusive and patronising IMO.

amessageforyouYoni Tue 09-Jul-13 09:32:16

They run Childline.

They work tirelessly with CEOP to detect and stop online grooming and child sexual exploitation.

They campaign to raise awareness.

They lobby government.

Cravingdairy Tue 09-Jul-13 09:37:56

Er, hello, go on their website and read their annual review. Not difficult. It's actually not that easy to raise millions of pounds and it's certainly not easy to use that money to make a positive change in society. But hey, any excuse to bash a big charity.

Xiaoxiong Tue 09-Jul-13 09:41:39

I know from personal experience that they do a huge amount of work on the policy side - just one example, they went through every draft of the new Children and Families Bill and the devolved legislation in Wales and Scotland and submitted changes to sections that they believed were put in there for political/budgetary reasons and would be detrimental to the interests of children (eg. speeding up court cases even when not in the best interests of the child, putting priority on spending money to support families from conception to 2 years where evidence shows more of a difference can be made to long term outcomes etc).

They provide counselling - foster dd had 4 years of free counselling from them. She had suffered a lot of abuse.

There is nowhere else that would have done that (Cahms provided 6 sessions - one a month).

Xiaoxiong Tue 09-Jul-13 09:42:37

Which by the way is exactly the kind of thing a small local charity cannot do, it takes a whole policy unit and lawyers, both paid and pro bono.

flatpackhamster Tue 09-Jul-13 09:42:46

amessageforyouYoni

They run Childline.

They work tirelessly with CEOP to detect and stop online grooming and child sexual exploitation.

They campaign to raise awareness.

They lobby government.

They take about £15million of taxpayers' money per year, too - in order to 'lobby' government.

Since when was it a charity's job to 'lobby' anyway? Particularly since they do it with taxpayers' money?

amessageforyouYoni Tue 09-Jul-13 09:45:09

That is EXACTLY what charities and pressure groups are 'supposed' to do:

a) provide support services to a particular vulnerable client group
b) campaign to put important issues related to that group on the agenda.

What else are they supposed to do? Please....do tell!

WipsGlitter Tue 09-Jul-13 09:51:48

A lot of the taxpayers money is from local authorites to provide the services outlined above that the LA are not in a position to provide. Their money from goverment is dropping.

Oblomov Tue 09-Jul-13 10:04:06

I have often wondered this. They seem totally ineffective.
People quote the NSPCC guidelines, say, leaving a child alone, as 'law', until someone points out that they are only a charity's GUIDELINES and carry no weight what-so-ever.

NoComet Tue 09-Jul-13 10:04:44

I'm certain they do a huge amount of good, but they have sent me so much smug annoying advertising since DD1 was born, my donations go to Banardo's insteed.

CarpeVinum Tue 09-Jul-13 10:17:51

do they actually have people who go out to families?

In 1984 I called, they came. Really quick. And it was not a clear cut case of outright neglect or startling abuse. It was more subtle than that.

I'd hope children today in the same or worse position that I was in would have the same response. Cos they were fantastic. And the only "authority figures" who seemed to see us as people, not "case number". Just feeling like somebody wasn't glossing over or minimising or downplaying or acting all "well what can you do?" <shrug> was good for my headspace.

CarpeVinum Tue 09-Jul-13 10:20:14

The lady representing the NSPCC presented an assembly gushing about how the NSPCC helped ....deprived children.

I don't remember the David Brent aspect. But their recognisable profile in my school was the reason why I called them when I needed help (despite social worker, school padtoral officer already being involved)

ThingummyBob Tue 09-Jul-13 10:23:04

I don't care for the way in which the NSPCC campaign for funds but they do a lot of good work as mentioned further up.
I can get over the weird adverts in light of what they do.

EDMNWiganSalfordandBlackpool Tue 09-Jul-13 10:26:34

I was not posting to slag them off by the way, I genuinely wanted to know what they did!

I have attended fundraising events but never had any dealings with them other than that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now