That this School Gate Mum is Rude

(151 Posts)
threerings Mon 08-Jul-13 18:37:33

Waiting for my DC at home time today, I don't normally go into the School and wait as DC is at that "It's not cool mum" Stage. But wanted a lolly from the Mums selling them to raise some School Profits.
Anyways I saw one of the Mums who I speak to , As I don't really speak with a lot or any mums there, New to the school just recently. I go over and say hello to her and as I say it one of the other mums who I have not ever seen before says " O there she is the Lady of the night" to me!!! The other mum tells her not to be so rude, so the other mum repeats herself and says " What, I'm only saying she looking like a lady of the night"
Well it was awkward tumbleweed moment going on. I didn't know what it meant so just carried on talking. I got home and looked it up to see what it means, And I now feel as though she deserves a fooking slap the cheeky bitch. How rude.....

usualsuspect Mon 08-Jul-13 19:57:28

I'd want to know why she said it, I couldn't just forget it.

You have to ask her,OP

usualsuspect Mon 08-Jul-13 19:58:49

Ah, yes, maybe she thought you looked glammed up for a night out?

1Veryhungrycaterpillar Mon 08-Jul-13 20:01:14

It's so hard but try to rise above it she obviously has ishoo's

emilialuxembourg Mon 08-Jul-13 20:01:18

How were you not familiar with the phrase 'lady of the night' and had to look it up, but you use terms like 'fookin' and 'prossie'? This story doesn't add up. Unless you're English abroad?

Burmobasher Mon 08-Jul-13 20:01:35

grin Fuzzywuzzy
Even if you turned up wearing nowt but nipple tassels and a gimp mask I would still be too polite to say anything. She sounds like a rotten cow bag and I bet your not the first mum she's pissed off.

1Veryhungrycaterpillar Mon 08-Jul-13 20:06:24

Lady of the night is quite an old fashioned expression though stands to reason not everyone has heard it

threerings Mon 08-Jul-13 20:07:59

I just looked normal in my long dress and sunglasses so couldn't see my make up. I don't wear false eyelashes, eye shadow. But do wear a bit of foundation and Vaseline on my chapped lips. Not overdone for the school run just minimum effort. Flat pump shoes, no hooker heels.
I feel like calling her out on it to be honest, As like I said I'm new to the school and was already feeling like nobody there talks to me and now she has made me feel like shit and I just want to keep my head down and wait else wear for DC away from the school gates.

threerings Mon 08-Jul-13 20:12:23

Emilia I am not familiar with that phrase so did have to look it up. When I did it pissed me off, As even if I did know what it means I would not be so rude as to use it to anyone.

hermioneweasley Mon 08-Jul-13 20:12:54

She sounds mental. I wouldn't give her another thought.

Guitargirl Mon 08-Jul-13 20:15:00

She doesn't sound very pleasant but neither do you to be honest - how do you think a 'prossie' is supposed to look anyway? The image you seem to have is from cheap films.

zzzzz Mon 08-Jul-13 20:15:14

You know this is her problem don't you?

Even if you were the ladiest lady of the nightiest night, this would be beyond odd.

Ask her what on earth she meant by it if you like, but I'd just ignore it.

She sounds like she may have some serious social problems.

badfaketan Mon 08-Jul-13 20:16:14

Were you wearing the shades inside like celebs do in clubs?
(Clutching at straws here)!
It's so rude I can only think she doesn't know the true meaning.

Shelby2010 Mon 08-Jul-13 20:16:24

Could she have meant Lady of Mystery, on the basis they hardly see you, but got herself mixed up? Sounds like what she actually said was not only rude but completely bizarre! Call the friendly mum & ask if anything was said after you left. Then come back & tell us.

Whitegrenache Mon 08-Jul-13 20:21:14

Hissy, exactly like you, it "apparently"happened and the lady of the night was asked to leave the school gates!! And this was rural leafy Durham grin

clippityclop Mon 08-Jul-13 20:21:38

Weirdo, ignore and move on!

cfc Mon 08-Jul-13 20:30:44

If no one else talks to you then you#ve got nowt to lose. Call the bitch out.

I wouldn't be surprised if you find that when you do, you'll make friends. They'll respect you for it, I know I would!

threerings Mon 08-Jul-13 20:47:52

no not wearing shades inside, we were outside in the fresh air. Maybe I will go all Julia Roberts dressed tomorrow and really give her something to comment about.

Jimmybob Mon 08-Jul-13 20:52:46

If I was brave enough...

I would be tempted to say -

"I wondered when you commented that I looked like a lady of the night yesterday if you wondered what it meant?"

She may say yes and then you could either tell her what you think or ask her why she said that...or watch her squirm with embarassment when you explain what it means to her ....and how rude and judgemental she is.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 08-Jul-13 20:54:52

Maybe she is currently absolutely mortified about what she said.

I reckon that either she didn't know what it meant and just meant woman of mystery type thing.

She was having one of the horrible cringey moments where she said the wrong thing, twice, and she actually meant to say something different.

I still cant believe the amount of totally inappropriate people I called twat/said twat too thinking it was just a northern version of twit

threerings Mon 08-Jul-13 21:03:08

The moment may of gone now I think, She will have time to back track and make out like she didn't know what she was saying would cause offence.

Officershitty Mon 08-Jul-13 21:07:08

You said you had a long dress on. Was it dark? Do you have long dark hair? Perhaps she thought you were dressed like a goth. In any case, she was shockingly rude. Buy a large handbag, stand close to her and accidentally knock her on the bonce with it.

Officershitty Mon 08-Jul-13 21:09:47

She doesn't sound very pleasant but neither do you to be honest Guitargirl, be a bit nicer.

changeling1234 Mon 08-Jul-13 21:11:18

My guess is that she is confused over what the phrase means. A very proper, elderly lady I worked with once called a colleague a "complete wanker". We were all shock. Turns out she thought it meant the same as wally. Gave us all a good laugh though.

LookingForwardToMarch Mon 08-Jul-13 21:11:27

Hmmm weird.

To be honest the fact that other woman tried to shush her seems to indicate that she knew what the comment was for?

Odd for it to just be a case of jealousy...a case of mistaken identity perhaps?

frutilla Mon 08-Jul-13 21:14:28

Do you look like Sarah Brightman, wasn't she The Lady of the Night in Phantom of the Opera?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now