Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

That this School Gate Mum is Rude

(151 Posts)
threerings Mon 08-Jul-13 18:37:33

Waiting for my DC at home time today, I don't normally go into the School and wait as DC is at that "It's not cool mum" Stage. But wanted a lolly from the Mums selling them to raise some School Profits.
Anyways I saw one of the Mums who I speak to , As I don't really speak with a lot or any mums there, New to the school just recently. I go over and say hello to her and as I say it one of the other mums who I have not ever seen before says " O there she is the Lady of the night" to me!!! The other mum tells her not to be so rude, so the other mum repeats herself and says " What, I'm only saying she looking like a lady of the night"
Well it was awkward tumbleweed moment going on. I didn't know what it meant so just carried on talking. I got home and looked it up to see what it means, And I now feel as though she deserves a fooking slap the cheeky bitch. How rude.....

ParadiseChick Mon 08-Jul-13 19:27:13

Are there any rumours flying about you?

Hissy Mon 08-Jul-13 19:29:04

Maybe she thought you were in your nighty? confused

Or have your dc described your job in a way which might have been misunderstood? A nightshift in a hospital might easily be mutated by playground chat. Dd1 told her teachers that dh's job was to tickle children because his job was to make sad children happy and that was how he made her happy (he actually works in CAMHS and no tickling involved)

threerings Mon 08-Jul-13 19:30:15

The other Mum got really flustered and tried to hush her up saying sush don't be so rude, That's really rude. Does it sound like I looked like a prostitute?

1Veryhungrycaterpillar Mon 08-Jul-13 19:30:18

Can't believe she moved her takings away from you, she can't think much of your prostitute skills/earnings!

Hissy Mon 08-Jul-13 19:31:01

Funny enough, our school 'invited someone to leave' our playground one afternoon pick up.

She was in thigh highs and a microskirt...

Hissy Mon 08-Jul-13 19:31:13

Apparently.

Wishfulmakeupping Mon 08-Jul-13 19:31:41

Wtaf I'm offended on your behalf! You need to corner her sharpish and ask her what she meant and what her problem is! Cheeky bitch

Theselittlelightsofmine Mon 08-Jul-13 19:32:00

I would ask your friend if she has any idea what that comment was supposed to of meant.

Gumps Mon 08-Jul-13 19:33:28

I'm sorry to say that if the other mum hushed her up she knew why she made the comment. There must be some rumours/stories going round school about you sad

KatOD Mon 08-Jul-13 19:38:29

I'd call her on it and ask her what her problem is and why she felt it necessary to be so rude/immature towards you (preferably in front of people). If she claims there's no problem just point out that she can't possibly understand the vocabulary she's using.

How horrible for you.

threerings Mon 08-Jul-13 19:46:29

only been at the school for four weeks, so it cant be rumours flying about. They know nothing about me because I keep myself to myself. And we use to go to school out of the area.

BlueSprite Mon 08-Jul-13 19:47:47

Do you wear lots of make-up,which makes you look quite done up - eyelash extensions, glam hair etc? Not judging at all,just asking as perhaps she is jealous of the effort you make and wants to put you down? This happened to one of my friends, who is very pretty and always makes an effort with her appearance,although in her case the digs were far more subtle.

nosila12 Mon 08-Jul-13 19:50:49

i can't think what the expression is but isn't there one that kind of means - flitting in and out without really stopping to chat. could she have been meaning to say something like that i wonder.

nosila12 Mon 08-Jul-13 19:51:29

ooh that's it - ships in the night!

1Veryhungrycaterpillar Mon 08-Jul-13 19:51:54

Maybe she doesn't know what that means and meant you only come out at night because she doesn't she you much at school? Still rude though

BlueSprite Mon 08-Jul-13 19:53:11

Forgot to say, she is a nasty piece of work and you are definitely not being unreasonable.

Whitegrenache Mon 08-Jul-13 19:53:21

Hissy...are you in Durham by any chance?

usualsuspect Mon 08-Jul-13 19:53:24

Fly by night?

FuzzyWuzzywasaWoman Mon 08-Jul-13 19:54:49

Have you by any chance asked her DH to be cycle buddies?

Hissy Mon 08-Jul-13 19:55:22

smile whitegrenache, surprisingly, NO! Leafy Hampshire.

Don't tell me it happens elsewhere? shock

peggotty Mon 08-Jul-13 19:55:40

It doesn't bloody matter what the op looks like/chooses to wear - that woman was just horribly rude and offensive!! She should be thoroughly ashamed of herself! Don't question yourself or your own behaviour any further - sometimes people are just nasty because they get away with it! I hope you're feeling ok and try to forget about her.

usualsuspect Mon 08-Jul-13 19:56:10

Mind you, 'fly by night' is not exactly flattering unless she didn't know what it meant.

1Veryhungrycaterpillar Mon 08-Jul-13 19:56:50

She obviously has no life too, I'd feel sorry for her

kelda Mon 08-Jul-13 19:57:25

I wonder if the woman didn't know what it meant exactly. Maybe she was just implying that the OP was looking glamourous in a long dress and shades. The OP says herself she didn't know what the phrase means.

I would let it go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now