To send dc to Thai Boxing? opinions and views/experience please

(25 Posts)
EDMNWiganSalfordandBlackpool Mon 08-Jul-13 15:22:37

Ok, near me there is a martial arts place that runs Bully Busting sessions. They are to increase confidence and self esteem and give the kids the confidence to tell teacher/get away/defend if needed. The instructor runs these sessions in schools also.

Teacher has experience with my dds sen and particularly caters for problems with co-ordination and such.

I vaguely know the instructor through my own different martial art past experience, he is pretty sensible and was bullied very badly as a child hence these sessions.

From what I can see from pictures/video the kids spar in the same way as karate with full body armour and light contact. They do not do proper fights till the older class which is 14 plus and dc are well under that age and to be honest I can't see dc wanting to do proper fights then and they do not have to even in older class.

So WIBU to consider it for the dc even though Thai boxing has a bad reputation so that it gives dd in particular some confidence to defend kick back against the bully?

Shodan Mon 08-Jul-13 15:48:40

Hmm.

I've never heard of Muay Thai for kids- it is renowned for being quite harsh. However, if you know if the instructor and trust him, then it may be ok.

I think, so long as a) your dc know that it is (like any martial art) for defence /confidence purposes only and b) the sparring is definitely light contact then it should be ok.

One thing though- (and you may be aware of this from your own MA training)- light contact does occasionally get hard, particularly with more inexperienced people, so it's worth bearing in mind.

Shodan Mon 08-Jul-13 15:49:50

Sigh.

Poor sentence construction there- I hope I got the point across! grin

<blames the heat>

Technotropic Mon 08-Jul-13 16:51:41

Thai boxing is fine if taught with the right attitude. I send my girls to kickboxing and they love it.

Personally I think it infinitely more useful than Karate or some other non-contact martial arts classes as they actually teach you how to spar(when they get old enough).

It's pointless IMHO not knowing how to really hurt someone and disable them efficiently unless you're learning purely for fitness; in which case you'd be better of going to boxercise.

Why do you say that Thai boxing has a bad reputation?

mistlethrush Mon 08-Jul-13 16:57:47

My DS does non-contact Karate - the only contact they are meant to make is with the pads. However, they learn grabs and blocks and do sparring too - they just need to be a lot more accurate so that they don't make contact. If he put it into practice if he needed to, he would be quite capable of hurting an adult - so I'm not sure why this is 'not knowing how to really hurt someone and disable them efficiently' - perhaps the previous poster hadn't been to a karate group where they do this sort of thing?

I do think that the right martial arts training will help with confidence - and once they are a higher level, it might make bullies think again. Out of interest, one of the classes that DS goes to has a child in with SEN and her needs are accommodated very well.

JackieOHHH Mon 08-Jul-13 16:58:44

My son (11 on Thursday!) has been doing Muay Thai boxing for almost a year and he loves it...he's gained lots of confidence, learned lots of moves, and the grading is excellent. He has been to Stockport 3 times to meet Master sken ( who brought the art to England in the seventies), and has double graded last time.
He spars sometimes with kids his age/ size, and has done inter club fighting once.
Our teacher is brilliant, has special kids clubs, and is a great support and mentor.
I'd say go for it, it's been the making of my son ( who has suffered bullying, and would get angry,,and bring the anger home, now he deals with it at the time).

EDMNWiganSalfordandBlackpool Mon 08-Jul-13 17:09:44

Thanks all
Techno there were those programs last year which put it in a really bad light and made out the parents of those training were basically allowing their children to do bare knuckle fight (they weren't), one of the clubs featured and really slagged off is local to us but not the one we are thinking of.

EDMNWiganSalfordandBlackpool Mon 08-Jul-13 17:11:06

Jackie does your son train anywhere near the first two places in my name? I know of Master Sken and have met him a few times many moons ago smile

pigletmania Mon 08-Jul-13 17:14:28

Yanbu go for it. I used to do Muay Tai and ad a very professional and sensible instructor. Your instructor sounds quite sensible.

Technotropic Mon 08-Jul-13 17:16:41

Mistlethrush

This is a serious question, not having a go or anything.

Have you ever been in a fight (play or otherwise) and been punched in the face? Or hit hard enough to get that sensation where your adrenalin takes over and you lose the ability to focus properly?

Typically, when you take part in non-contact sparing you never experience what it is like to be hit square in the face (or anywhere else for that matter). Thus you never learn to control yourself or your adrenalin. You can learn to punch/kick perfectly in a controlled environment but once you've been hurt and you lose control of your senses it is incredibly difficult to remember, let alone throw a useful punch/kick.

Full contact sparing won't ever replicate a real self defence scenario but it will help massively with learning to control yourself.

I don't like the idea of my girls being punched/kicked/hurt but it is a valuable learning experience. IMHO it is critical (if learning self defence) to know how to take a strike and how to deliver one. I have done both (albeit non contact Kung Fu) and I learnt 100x more from a few full contact sparing sessions than I did in years of non-contact.

Technotropic Mon 08-Jul-13 17:18:20

EDMNWiganSalfordandBlackpool

Ah, not seen those programmes so see what you're saying. The classes I've been to and the girls go are more people friendly with gloves/leg pads etc.

Shodan Mon 08-Jul-13 18:03:42

FWIW, I agree with mistlethrush wrt contact- it's a big shock to be hit in the face/kicked in the stomach. Non-contact karate in no way replicates this, which is why we do contact sparring in my region of our club.

It's not just about learning how it feels to be hit- it's also about regrouping straightaway.

Nothing makes you learn to block more effectively than knowing that if you don't, you might actually get hurt.

Also mistlethrush- not all karate clubs are non-contact. Many are, of course, but by no means all.

bettycocker Mon 08-Jul-13 18:16:55

I have done Muay Thai in my time too lazy now.

They will design the classes to be suitable for children. That's what they did when I went.

No club would let children loose on each other and tell them to have a fight! Martial Arts are about discipline, self control and respect.

gnittinggnome Mon 08-Jul-13 18:32:11

As a complete pansy humanities student, I took jiu jitsu for two years, and it was a brilliant idea. You learn coordination, stamina, concentration, and (with jiu jitsu) how to land from being pushed or thrown without hurting yourself. I completely intend to send all and any DC to a martial art as soon as they would benefit from it. Growing up with two sisters, we never physically fought, and I never learnt to control my feelings / adrenaline, and I wish I'd started it as a child

Re the reputation, that is very dependent on the tutor. If you know the instructor, and s/he has a good reputation, and your DC come away happy, then go for it. Sit in on a few lessons and see if you like the look of it - if the tutors won't let you, or won't hold an open day, avoid.

mistlethrush Mon 08-Jul-13 18:34:38

The interesting thing I find about the karate is that the blocks now appear to be completely inbuilt - because they are practised so many times. And of course, the blocks are designed to hurt the attacker in themselves, not just prevent the attack getting through. So I think that learning the moves so that they are natural in this way will give a significant advantage.

When he's older, he will be able to choose to change to a contact version - but for the moment, the combination of the move learning, together with the precision that the non-contact requires, is actually a very good combination for my son. Learning the restraint is very helpful - whilst being able to sock a pad when required!

VonHerrBurton Mon 08-Jul-13 20:09:17

My ex bf is a martial arts instructor, specifically muay Thai and kick boxing. We were together a long time and the club he ran was a real family affair, loads of young kids belonged right up to 50yo plus.

The kids loved it, it was always made very clear it was for self defence only and discipline and respect for other members and people in general was paramount. I saw young kids go from training a couple of times a week to growing into teens and having an interest that kept them off 'the streets'

A good club/instructor should give off a family friendly, respectful, fun vibe.

My son who's 10 does Taekwondo to a high standard, I was keen to get him involved in martial arts asap because of my experiences years ago with that club. Its now a massive part of his life. Give it a go.

Technotropic Mon 08-Jul-13 20:34:38

mistlethrush

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking what your son is doing. Some self defence/martial arts is better than none at all. I was just pointing out the difference IMHO between contact and non contact.

To add to what Shodan has said, there is also a huge difference between throwing a punch/kick that is intended not to make contact and one that has the full motion, impact and follow through. Pad work is great for technique but pads don't hit back.

To me, non contact vs contact is almost like the difference between a treadmill vs running outside, spinning vs cycling outside and pool swimming vs swimming in the sea. It's great and almost like the real thing but doesn't quite prepare you for the real experience.

AnaisB Mon 08-Jul-13 20:45:05

I thai boxed for a bit and my brother and some friends still do.

I'd say it massively improved his condifence. He is not a good footballer and at his school friendships for boys were really football-centric. Thai-boxing got him fit, gave him a sense of achievement, meant he met loads of new people and was "cool" (important when you a shy 12 year old.)

Having done muay thai, karate and ju-jitsu i think the contact and spaing of muay thai is incredibly useful.

He's unlikely to get hurt as a kid because they tend to be so padded up.

catgirl1976 Mon 08-Jul-13 20:55:13

I did Muay Thai for a little bit

I loved it

It was bloody hard though! smile

I gave it up because I was the only girl in the class and I felt the men were a bit confused if they had to spar with me as they wouldn't want to go full pelt (thankfully) and felt a bit uncomfortable, so I ended up feeling whoever got paired with me that week IYSWIM

Well, that and I really wasn't fit enough

With a good instructor who caters for children (and it sounds like this one knows his stuff) I think it would be great for your DC

catgirl1976 Mon 08-Jul-13 20:57:23
EDMNWiganSalfordandBlackpool Wed 10-Jul-13 02:09:06

Well we went and dd had an amazing time, it was very sale and controlled, lots of games and fun.

EDMNWiganSalfordandBlackpool Wed 10-Jul-13 02:10:14

Safe

Technotropic Wed 10-Jul-13 08:46:31

Glad to hear it and hope your dd keeps at it. Definitely one of the best sports to do IMHO.

All the best smile

JackieOHHH Wed 10-Jul-13 08:58:57

Hi OP, I'm in Huddersfield which is where the club is, so a bit far for you to travel, master Sken is based in Stockport ( as you probably know), so maybe his club can advise you?

EDMNWiganSalfordandBlackpool Wed 10-Jul-13 09:20:47

Thanks Jackie smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now