Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think addressing your unborn child/newborn baby/child who can't read on fb is strange?

(106 Posts)

I'm new to FB. I was weak and gave into family and friend pressure to have an account for events and groups I belong to. I find many elements totally bizarre (outright racism, sexism and general twattery) but try to steer clear/defriend members who partake in that behaviour. What I can't escape us generally level headed, normally sound friends or family who address their offspring (born and unborn) as a status e.g today someone directly addressed their one year old saying 'Happy Birthday X, one year today since you let up our lives. We love you the world over blah blah blah'

Is this a new custom? I haven't addressed the Gertrude clan when its their birthday unless 2. They can read 2. They have a FB account. AIBU to find these status' odd or us it very normal?

Apologies for fat fingered phone typing.

bearleftmonkeyright Mon 08-Jul-13 15:16:16

It's normal, what can you do? (shrugs)

Tee2072 Mon 08-Jul-13 15:18:24

No different than writing letters for them to read late, is it? I have a letter a month to my son from before he was born and the first two years of his life.

MrsBungle Mon 08-Jul-13 15:21:02

Totally normal. Hth.

maddening Mon 08-Jul-13 15:26:53

Did you write a birthday card for your dc?

Jubelteen Mon 08-Jul-13 15:43:22

YANBU, it's weird, I assume that her one year-old lives with her, so she said 'Happy Birthday' and gave a card this morning. Only reason to post on FB is to remind people who may have forgotten don't really care that her wonderful child is one today.

bellablot Mon 08-Jul-13 15:44:27

I'm on the same page as you OP, it's ridiculous, people do it so everyone can comment happy birthday and apparently the more 'likes' you receive the better you are (more of a twat you are).

I don't write my children birthday cards, why would I if they can't read it?

Latara Mon 08-Jul-13 15:49:15

YANBU, I have FB and find this very annoying.

Latara Mon 08-Jul-13 15:52:24

Like stealth boasting; ''ooh look at meee I have a child...''

IME photos and messages regarding babies / Pregnancy / children / marriage ALWAYS get the most likes.

(Can you tell i'm a slightly bitter singleton?) grin

pinkyredrose Mon 08-Jul-13 15:56:06

Whatever rocks their boat. It's not hurting anyone is it?

pinkyredrose Mon 08-Jul-13 15:57:30

Tee2072 that's really lovely about the letters smile

What a great idea.

JessieMcJessie Mon 08-Jul-13 16:03:12

I hate it when people address cards from children who are not old enough to have any idea who the recipient is or what a birthday/ Christmas etc is. My pet, pet hate is "from Tony, Sheila and bump". Vom.

Jubelteen Mon 08-Jul-13 16:05:51

tee2072 the letters are totally different, a lovely idea to put in their keepsake box, which is personal and private and can be read in years to come. Is a FB message posted today going to be accessible in 2033 when the child is 21?

Annakin31 Mon 08-Jul-13 16:09:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Annakin31 Mon 08-Jul-13 16:11:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KellyElly Mon 08-Jul-13 16:15:32

It's their child's birthday, they are expressing it more to family and friends on FB than their one year old who can't read obviously. Whats' The problem? It's not odd at all. In fact if someone is a regular status updater it would be odder if they didn't comment on important life events on FB.

KellyElly Mon 08-Jul-13 16:15:50

*What's the problem

Tee2072 Mon 08-Jul-13 16:17:24

Well, I write them on my blog, so not private at all.

Guess I'm twatty. shrug Whatever.

ThisWayForCrazy Mon 08-Jul-13 16:28:53

Would you get a birthday card for their 1st, 2nd, 3rd birthday?

Crinkle77 Mon 08-Jul-13 16:36:10

Latara so with you on that

musicalmum40 Mon 08-Jul-13 16:56:29

I'm with you it's downright weird. So is wishing your spouse Happy Birthday on fb. Like you don't see them in person?!! Unfortunately it's catching on/. I don't really give a monkeys but this is one practice I won't be adopting

FeckOffCup Mon 08-Jul-13 17:12:49

I've never written to my DD on facebook but I do write her name in cards to other people, she's part of the family, to me it would feel wrong only putting from me and DH and leaving her out.

bellablot Mon 08-Jul-13 17:20:56

Annakin a shame for who exactly and why?

I do like the idea of letters but I like photo story books even better and hopefully my adult children will to.

FB messages are self-indulgent, my opinion. smile

Snoot Mon 08-Jul-13 17:26:37

What drives me mad is the really soggy-baby-brained, previously articulate women who post as their baby confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now