Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To point out that the word is 'being' not 'been'

(153 Posts)
Thisvehicleisreversing Sun 07-Jul-13 23:28:00

I've read a number of posts over the last few days where a poster has used 'been' when they've meant 'being'

It's annoying. So there.

juneybean Sun 07-Jul-13 23:30:08

Oh yes, a nursery I worked in had a file for parents to look at "Look at what we have being doing" so it works both ways!

Numberlock Sun 07-Jul-13 23:30:17

Can you give an example of context?

BackforGood Sun 07-Jul-13 23:30:47

Do you know something? Some people just type quickly and press post. We don't sit and proof read things as we would if it were going on a job application or a poster to go on display or something else. This is a website on which to 'chat' not write formal documents.
So sorry to have offended you but I'm still not going to proof read everything I@ve typed before pressing post

<Ooh look - another mistake>

picnicbasketcase Sun 07-Jul-13 23:30:51

Human been?

WorraLiberty Sun 07-Jul-13 23:34:37

YANBU

Someone on my Facebook always confuses the two words and it takes heroic strength on my part to scroll past and not point it out grin

"The kids are been annoying"

"Been as though you asked..."

<< Cries real tears >>

MrsMook Sun 07-Jul-13 23:38:11

My husband's terrible on that one. He just doesn't hear the difference in the two words to know which to write. I often have to proof read documents for him to get decent grammar before he can get them proof read for technical accuarcy.

HotCrossPun Sun 07-Jul-13 23:44:58

I was going to say YABU.

Then I remembered the irritation that I used to feel when my brothers girlfriend always said 'his' wrongly.

She'd say - Would you hand DN he's dummy?

angry

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 08-Jul-13 17:51:52

Yanbu.

Typos happen though obviously.

Can we talk about people using defiantly rather than definitely? This is a smartphone autocorrect thing. My Facebook (I know,I know) is littered with it.

Can be unintentionally hilarious though.

Even worse is "lose" and "loose", and it's not just on chat pages! Drives me round the bend! and double negatives angry arghhh!! People who say "I don't have none" or "I don't know nothing" [stressed emoticon]

HooverFairy Tue 09-Jul-13 19:46:29

YANBU this particular error irritates me so much! The lose and loose one can almost be forgiven but HotCross, how did you manage not to strangle her? That's a ridiculous mistake!

One person I'm friends with on Facebook writes 'paniced' instead of 'panicked', really unreasonably winds me up.

How can you say that "lose" and "loose" can almost be forgiven [faints]???

AKAK81 Wed 10-Jul-13 09:06:24

I see this often along with seen instead of seeing. Its useful in that you know you're dealing with a moron.

I just don't care. I will use which ever my fingers type so there

<blows raspberry at thread>

Been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been

MalcolmTuckersMum Wed 10-Jul-13 09:09:52

I keep saying this and nobody answers - 'lose' and 'loose' don't even begin to sound the same so how does anyone make this mistake without real effort? grin
As for 'been' and 'being' yes, noticed a lot of it lately so YANBU
I don't understand why these threads always bring out the 'it doesn't matter' contingent. It does matter. Of course it matters. It's our language and it's not up to you to change it.

<<<blows hot piss steam out of ears and cries some tears with worra>>>

Goldmandra Wed 10-Jul-13 09:14:30

My DD brought a piece of homework marked by a teacher a few months ago. The comment on the bottom was

"You could of drawn more pictures to illustrate your design."

shock

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MalcolmTuckersMum Wed 10-Jul-13 09:16:16

shock - Gold when the teachers are making these mistakes you realise it really is too late to fix this.

LuisSuarezTeeth Wed 10-Jul-13 09:17:42

We're only human beans. May I respectfully point you in the direction of Pedants' Corner? grin

Hah you will hate I bin to the new cinema, eeek!

Arrianne Wed 10-Jul-13 10:22:19

I loathe could of instead of could have. It is everywhere. As for not checking.....So lazy. Yes I am pedantic. Oh and I hate it when people ask if they can lend something from me. I say no but you can borrow it.

Wahla Wed 10-Jul-13 10:31:19

Round here everybody says done instead of did. "I done it yesterday" - argh!

I think some of the confusion with lose and lose is that choose rhymes with lose but looks like loose, IYSWIM.

NinaJade666 Wed 10-Jul-13 11:15:43

I won him - No, you won. (Or you beat him)

I brought a shirt from Next - BOUGHT FFS!

The fact that teachers are making these mistakes just makes me want to scream. angry

Goldmandra Wed 10-Jul-13 11:24:22

I nearly raised it as I have a lot of meetings with the staff at the moment about managing DD2's SN. Then I realised I didn't think I could raise it without sounding patronising and critical which I really don't want to do while they are being so helpful.

I have to wonder how anyone could get through a degree without getting the basics right.

EvieanneVolvic Wed 10-Jul-13 11:26:04

"Been as though you asked..."

Oh Worra !!!!! <hugs>

That is just dreadful! Not even close.

<stops shrieking> Okay typos happen but there are typos and there are typos and there is treating language as though it's an optional bonus!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now