Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

... to think that a clean, fed, tired toddler. ..

(31 Posts)

... should have gone to sleep way before now considering he was put to bed at 6pm and started his day at 5 am?

Just wondering, because he obviously thinks I'm bu for not letting him get up and play.

LimitedEditionLady Tue 09-Jul-13 15:44:51

My toddler had a phase of this for a week and then just stopped and went back to his usual routine.weird arent they lol

3littlefrogs Mon 08-Jul-13 20:14:29

grin
Glad to be of help.

MrsHoarder Mon 08-Jul-13 20:13:10

3littlefrogs you are a genius! Admittedly I had no black bin bags so have improvised with a strip of navy fabric from the fabric stash, but its a lot darker I'm here tonight.

omg omg he's falling asleep having his milk! The nap jugglingmay have worked. Now to see if he stays asleep. ..shock

thank you all x

I did put him down for a nap just after 9 this morning so we'll see if I can get him down for a lunchtime nap too and if that helps.

He's just such a grouchy git atm. mama mama mameeeeee whinge wine

3littlefrogs Mon 08-Jul-13 08:44:32

Mrshoarder - you can blutak black binliners over the window until you get the curtains fixed. (voice of experience).

dubstarr73 Mon 08-Jul-13 08:40:29

This heat is a a killerMy 2 year old dropped his naps months ago.But this heat has his sleeping patterns crazy.He fell asleep at 5 teh other day and dindt waken till 8 the next morning.But he was so cranky the next day.
Hes also one of these kids if hes awake hes awake .No amount of soothing r shushing works.So i just bring him down.

At least now he will sleep n the couch before he used to fly around like a loon.

sleepywombat Mon 08-Jul-13 05:59:04

Hello cakes, like the new name.

My 18 mo dropped his morning nap aged 14 or 15 months & has started having/needing it again too. Atm he is sleeping 9.30-10.15ish, then 1-3 in afternoon with 7.00 bedtime.

He is also one of those that needs more day sleep in order to sleep better at night.

Ds1 used to have nights when he took hours to go to sleep regardless of his daytime napping at a similar age - I put it down to developmental leaps. Fortunately for me, though, he used to play/chat to himself quite happily in his cot late into the night, so I could just ignore!

Hope you all eventually got some sleep!

redcaryellowcar Mon 08-Jul-13 05:48:52

I read that at 18-21m some children need a short morning nap too, e.g as well as lunchtime one. Can't remember why- sorry, but on days when we went out in the morning and Ds slept on the way and again at lunch he would sleep better at night.

ZenGardener Mon 08-Jul-13 05:47:05

I feel your pain.

My just turned 2 year old went to bed at 1am last night. She never goes to bed before 10pm. She's just a night owl. I was hoping she would go down for the night at 7pm as she had no nap but she woke again at 9pm and didn't go back to sleep until 1am.

One of the girls at my sons nursery used to sleep 11pm to 5am every night so I count myself lucky at least she sleeps until 7am.

yup. He's up again now. dh is dealing with him.

I darent curtail his lunchtime nap. He'll be even worse if he hasn't had that sleep. ugh. and now my throat hurts which is a sure sign of impending lurgy. Just what we need.

I fell very very unreasonable this morning

softlysoftly Mon 08-Jul-13 01:49:03

*cold

softlysoftly Mon 08-Jul-13 01:48:24

3.8 yr old and 1 yr old only drifted off at 10pm, normally down by 8. I'm struggling to go off (not sure mning is helping) it's just too stuffy and was too light.

1yr old had a late nap but 3 yr old was up from 7 running around like a loon all day.

Roll on winter and snuggly duvets, may keep it deliberately child so they don't want to get up wink

YABU but I feel your pain.

IRCL Mon 08-Jul-13 01:31:34

My daughter has incredible stamina and can stay awake for hours.

I feel your pain.

All mine are still up complaining about the heat. My 3 year old just will not settle down grrr. We all have to be up early tomorrow

littleducks Sun 07-Jul-13 22:28:13

Mine are much older now and can explain what is actually keeping them awake (and are finally mature enough to admit to being tired!). They have been struggling with the heat, the light, the lack of air or the general summer noise levels if windows are open (people in gardens) and they want to snuggle up in their duvets for comfort reasons but are too hot. Tbh I can understand most of it and would probably struggle to sleep if I wasn't pregnant and seemingly able to fall asleep at a moments notice atm

So yes, he should be asleep but probably several reasons he cant quite nod off

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sun 07-Jul-13 22:27:50

Our 2.3 year old has only just gone to bed. The heat this afternoon flattened him and he had a long nap, so he's been awake this evening.

His older brother had been asleep since 8pm.

pianodoodle Sun 07-Jul-13 22:22:24

Poor you especially getting up at 5am sad

It makes the evenings very short/non existant when that happens!

DD times are still the same as when she was 18 months, but you still get phases where it doesn't go to plan. Mostly if she's been a bit poorly or had too long a nap during the day.

Trying a shorter nap maybe or just chasing him round the house for a while after dinner to tire him out?!

Some warm milk maybe? X

MrsHoarder Sun 07-Jul-13 22:13:52

I have a similar problem. Just got downstairs after hours of sitting/lying on the floor because its so hot that cuddling makes ds grumpy but he was in clingy mood.

Doesn't help that his curtains fell down 4 Weeks ago and three next day dh ended up with an emergency hospital admission and still isn't allowed to lift enough to help fix them.

SkiBumMum Sun 07-Jul-13 22:11:32

Does he nap? Mine did this when she was over tired. Did a few strategic car trips to get a second nap in and lo and behold she went back to sleeping better at night when she was less tired.

BridgetBidet Sun 07-Jul-13 22:08:50

Is he teething maybe?

blackbirdatglanmore Sun 07-Jul-13 22:05:23

x posts pointy - sorry!

blackbirdatglanmore Sun 07-Jul-13 22:05:06

Do you have a fan, Cakes? My brother has terrible insomnia and when it is hot, not only does it cool the room down but also provides a soothing noise inducing sleep x

pointythings Sun 07-Jul-13 22:02:25

I'd invest in a fan. Not only does it cool the room, the hum can also help knock them out since it acts as white noise.

He's 18mo. This had been going on for a couple of weeks but when we moved his bedtime back to 8pm (the time he seemed to be actually going to sleep) he still dicked around for over 2 hours which meant he didn't get to sleep till nearly 10pm! normally he's out cold by 6.30pm latest as we can't seem to shift his wake up time at all so he's had a long day by then.

it is hot in his room but it doesn't bother him at nap time. He's only in his nappy

It's killing us. We get up early and don't even have the evening to ourselves any more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now