To be unwilling to encourage dd do her homework this week as for the past 3 weeks her homework has not been marked?

(38 Posts)
chocolatespiders Sun 07-Jul-13 19:39:13

Or do I accept that it is a busy time of the year for teachers.

We have been enjoying the sunshine far to much to think about homework!!

Shesaysso Sun 07-Jul-13 19:44:58

Same thing happens at my DS's school. We havent done it this week. I'm sorry but I think if his teachers can't even be bothered to look at it why should we bother. He gets really disheartened when his elder sister gets feedback/ stickers for her homework and he gets nothing.

Eyesunderarock Sun 07-Jul-13 19:47:25

I hate giving regular homework and I hate marking it.
Write a note giving your reasons.

Piddlepuddle Sun 07-Jul-13 19:49:11

No you are absolutely NBU

Is absolutely fair enough that no one wants to or has the time to mark it.

In which case don't set the bloody stuff

Eyesunderarock Sun 07-Jul-13 19:50:25

School rules. sad

WMittens Sun 07-Jul-13 19:50:47

I'm sorry but I think if his teachers can't even be bothered to look at it why should we bother.

Because you want your child to get educated?

I agree that the lack of feedback is crap, but the idea is to gain knowledge, not marks.

Euphemia Sun 07-Jul-13 19:51:48

YANBU, and I'm a teacher!

I'd be tempted not to bother, and see if the teacher even noticed.

arethereanyleftatall Sun 07-Jul-13 19:52:44

Isn't homework for the Childs benefit, regardless of whether it's marked or not.

chocolatespiders Sun 07-Jul-13 19:55:27

If she doesn't do it she will miss play/lunch time and will have to do it during this time.
It is planning and designing an advert>>> oh no I think we have left it to late.. dd is still cooling in the paddling pool smile

fuzzpig Sun 07-Jul-13 19:55:36

I would, but DD quite likes doing her fortnightly HW anyway (she's only 6, so that may not last forever grin) so no battle.

I did find that a lot of her HW seemed to get 'marked' (commented on) in one go last term - could that be the case with your DC?

Oh dear, hopes none of yours are in my class I don't think I've marked homework for a couple of weeks because I've been so busy doing other things for end of term like plays, leaving assemblies, getting things organised to move classrooms, dealing with children who are worried about next year etc. Makes note to self to check books tomorrow :-)

chocolatespiders Sun 07-Jul-13 19:56:16

We did do the numeracy this morning smile

soverylucky Sun 07-Jul-13 19:56:29

Normally I would say YANBU but there may be reasons why it has not been marked. Is this a problem that has persisted all year or is it just the last three weeks? The teacher may have been ill, there are lots and lots of reports to write at the moment, end of year exams to mark, performance management targets to update and supply evidence for, organisation of trips or end of year shows etc. I think if this has been an on going problem then YANBU but if it is a one off and the rest of the year has been fine then perhaps give the teacher another chance.

ApocalypseThen Sun 07-Jul-13 19:57:38

You do know that homework is for the child's benefit? It's not piecework that teachers are being paid to extract from child slaves.

Eyesunderarock Sun 07-Jul-13 19:58:28

Adverts are easy, faff around on word for a while, import images.
Email it or put it on a memory stick.
Or don't bother, but say why. The teacher has no defence then.

formicadinosaur Sun 07-Jul-13 19:58:46

My DS started to write quite outrageous things in his homework and always got a big tick.

ANormalOne Sun 07-Jul-13 19:58:58

I think you should encourage your DD to do homework still, but bring it up with her teacher that it hasn't been marked. I don't think it's appropriate to allow your DD to ignore her responsibilities, just because someone else is.

Eyesunderarock Sun 07-Jul-13 19:59:31

Then the school should decree July homework free, it's not as if the end of term is a surprise with the workload.

Eyesunderarock Sun 07-Jul-13 20:01:03

'My DS started to write quite outrageous things in his homework and always got a big tick.'

I love it when students get creative and riff on a theme. If I set English that is skills based and content free choice, they are amazingly inventive. smile

Katisha Sun 07-Jul-13 20:02:04

Children need to see their effort has been acknowledged. If you're not going to mark it them don't set it. And DSs are fed up to the back teeth always having to do posters, leaflets, adverts...

Shesaysso Sun 07-Jul-13 20:07:32

Wmittens absolutely agree with you and I do put a lot of effort in to help Ds with his education. However he's 5 years old and with a choice of doing homework that won't get looked at or playing outside in the sun I'm afraid the latter has won for me this week.

HooverFairy Sun 07-Jul-13 20:08:24

I can understand why you feel this way, but aren't you just teaching your child that they don't have to put the effort in if other people don't? I'd still insist that the homework was done, then I'd write a separate letter to the teacher expressing how I felt about the work not being marked. The homework will benefit your dd, and trying to get out of doing something isn't the best lesson. It is a busy time of year, perhaps your dd's teacher is struggling with the marking load a bit.

PasswordProtected Sun 07-Jul-13 20:12:55

If that is the attitude from parents and teachers, it is no wonder that the UK is going to go down the economic tubes fairly soon.

NotYoMomma Sun 07-Jul-13 20:13:37

stupid argument

its like when parents don't read withtheir children or even take an interest in helping them learn and then get all arsey when they are not as good as other kids.

I hated volunteering in the school and seeing the same kids again and again with no parental input in their diaries

chocolatespiders Sun 07-Jul-13 20:19:05

3 teachers in the family and I know they are always bogged down with marking. DD sometimes helps with the giving out of stickers.

Will do it on word and nip into work extra early to print it out so DD can take it in tomorrow.

I agree July should be homework free smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now