To be shocked at the price of formula milk?

(257 Posts)
Souredstones Sun 07-Jul-13 18:35:41

It's been 9 years since I was last pregnant and this time round I'm not going to attempt breast feeding because for my previous pregnancies I produced no milk and wasn't able to feed them. So I'm not stressing out I'm going straight in for the formula. I have medical reasons for doing so.

I get that they've put the price up to deter formula feeding. I know why. I agree breast is best. But from what I saw today it's now a sneeze under £10 a tin.

I'm lucky we can afford it, but what if you're on the threshold of not receiving help and find yourself, as I did, unable to bf even with the full intentions of bfing and being unable to afford this price.

Is there a reason it's doubled in price in the last decade? Have production techniques changed that much?

Souredstones Sun 07-Jul-13 18:40:24

Btw wasn't looking to buy any (I'm only 5 weeks!) just saw it as I walked down the aisle.

DS1 is 14. A box of Aptamil in 1999 was about £5.50 and that was from the Doctor's. Blimey.

SpooMoo Sun 07-Jul-13 18:41:46

If you're on no/low income I thought there were vouchers?

CheeseFondueRocks Sun 07-Jul-13 18:42:08

I believe you get voucher for formula when you're on a low income. Might be wrong.

Souredstones Sun 07-Jul-13 18:43:01

It's the ones who don't qualify for the vouchers but are cutting it fine on the finances I'm wondering about

soverylucky Sun 07-Jul-13 18:43:05

I used to pay £4.70 from the clinic and that was 8 years ago.

spangledboots Sun 07-Jul-13 18:43:57

How long on average does one tin last? (sorry - I'm a non-mum!)

Queen0fFeckingEverything Sun 07-Jul-13 18:44:05

Something like half the cost of every tin of formula goes straight to the companies advertising budget.

That might have something to do with it!

Gigondas Sun 07-Jul-13 18:44:05

It has gone up even in 4 years between my dd- there was an issue a year or so back regarding demand from china for european formula (following safety scares related to Chinese formula) but not sure whether that hit price.

Most things have doubled in price over the last decade.

SmellsLikeWeenSpirits Sun 07-Jul-13 18:45:12

perhaps the manufacturers should consider not spending quite so much on prime time advertising slots. That might reduce the cost.

And I don't think you're correct that 'they' put up prices to deter formula feeding

HumphreyCobbler Sun 07-Jul-13 18:45:29

They haven't put the price up to deter formula feeding! They have put the price up to make money.

'They' are formula producers - they are going to charge as much as they can get away with. Nothing to do with breastfeeding.

Souredstones Sun 07-Jul-13 18:45:47

madame everything other than salaries that is

Souredstones Sun 07-Jul-13 18:46:14

In which case it's even more bloody ridiculous

Fakebook Sun 07-Jul-13 18:46:14

I used to pay £5.98 in 2008. I think the average price is about £7.00 now.

ArabellaBeaumaris Sun 07-Jul-13 18:46:23

'They' price it to make as much of a profit as they can. It's capitalism.

ImNotBloody14 Sun 07-Jul-13 18:46:27

Hmm, i had ds1 8 years ago and i remember a tin being around £8/9 then. Doesnt sound like they've increased much in cost.

I THINK you get vouchers towards the cost of it from the docs if you're on low income...but it's crazy money regardless!

As is, may I say, the cost of cheese....that always surprises me.... (Realises she's missed the point of the thread)

NatashaBee Sun 07-Jul-13 18:46:48

What brand is that? Have you checked out Costco to see if they sell it in bulk? You'd need to get a member to take you but they might sell it cheaper than the supermarket.

vinisque Sun 07-Jul-13 18:46:49

Yabvu - everything has gone up not just formula. The companies exist to make profit

Queen0fFeckingEverything Sun 07-Jul-13 18:47:39
PeachActiviaMinge Sun 07-Jul-13 18:48:29

You get 6.40 in vouchers weekly a tin costs 7.99+ DS goes through a tin every 5 days at 10 weeks old. You cope somehow when its the best you can do.

ruledbyheart Sun 07-Jul-13 18:49:10

I think its disgusting the price keeps going up, babies who aren't breastfed need formula, a baby can't stay hungry and it can't have anything else.
I'm planning on BFing but with previous experience I have had to move on to formula and its going to be tight on our budget as not entitled to any help as DP working but that is a low paid job to support an entire family.

sleepyhead Sun 07-Jul-13 18:49:30

Formula is expensive because they've got babies over a barrel. They charge that much because they can.

It's easy to make (the "formula" isn't a secret) and the ingredients are cheap and readily available. I'd like to see the government making formula (I think they used to didn't they? Called National Milk or something?) and selling it at cost price plus a little towards infant milk research.

No need for multinationals to be making vast profits from an essential foodstuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now