Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think Virgina Wade should say 'Oi! Do you mind?'

(48 Posts)
squoosh Sun 07-Jul-13 17:51:30

Firstly, huge congratulations to Andy Murray!

But if I was Virginia Wade I'd be mightily hacked off at all this 'first British winner of Wimbledon in 77 years' malarkey. Come on Sue!

How insulting to Virginia.

(I realise Virginia has most likely never said 'Oi!' to anyone)

NoComet Mon 08-Jul-13 14:03:05

?What an incredible day!! So proud of my lil bro! What a champion!!? tweeted Jamie Murray, who had won the Wimbledon mixed doubles title in 2007 with Jelena Jankovic of Serbia.

I bet big brother, who I haven't heard the BBC mention once, is fucking pissed off at being totally ignored!

MarmaladeTwatkins Mon 08-Jul-13 13:57:26

YANBU

It pisses me off as well how the proper trophy is reserved for the men whilst the women are fobbed off with a crappy bowl. <shallow>

Mintyy Mon 08-Jul-13 13:54:24

Oh dear, that is absolutely scandalous sad.

What a blunder!

squoosh Mon 08-Jul-13 13:53:05

Well spotted BadLad

BadLad Mon 08-Jul-13 13:50:25

Here is the blurb under the link on this site.

Andy Murray beat Novak Djokovic in straight sets in the broiling heat of Centre Court yesterday- and put an end to the UK's 77-year wait for a British champion. Join in the celebrations here.

You'd think mumsnet would have remembered VW.

Lovecat Mon 08-Jul-13 09:46:11

I have to confess that until I saw this thread I'd completely forgotten about Virginia Wade blush. I've only been listening to commercial radio, and they're all giving it 77 years since a Brit won Wimbledon and not specifying the men's singles title.

Mintyy Mon 08-Jul-13 09:31:08

Strikes me that the best way to complain about this would be to tweet about it if any of you use Twitter? I am sure there is much twittering going on on this subject. Then the great Beeb pr machine is bound to see it; I think we are rather less visible in this quiet backwater of Mumsnet.

Edinbugger Mon 08-Jul-13 09:17:03

And again this morning- Radio Four 'first British wimbledon champion in 77 years...'. Sigh.

Mintyy Mon 08-Jul-13 09:13:53

I think it was just a slip up. Every report I have heard has referred to the men's singles.

Nanny0gg England Mon 08-Jul-13 09:11:32

And now they're saying he'll be up for a knighthood.

Why? Virginia Wade is 'merely' an OBE.

mrsjay Mon 08-Jul-13 09:07:09

I hate how it is all about the mens final as the men just win, makes me a bit angry tbh. I am happy he won and all that but the mens final seems to be the B all ,

Jeremy Bates and Jo Durie won the mixed doubles in, I think, 1987.

hamilton75 Mon 08-Jul-13 08:18:42

YANBU. Its lazy, inaccurate reporting and disrespectful to VW and the doubles winners.

sashh Mon 08-Jul-13 05:08:43

I actually noticed that (on Radio 4 anyway) they kept saying 'men's singles title'.

corlan Sun 07-Jul-13 22:26:46

I'm glad other people are bothered by this.

I was telling my 7 year old DD how exciting it would be if Murray won as it was nearly 40 years since a British player won. Then to hear Virginia Wade's achievement totally dismissed by all the 77 years stuff on the news was pretty depressing.

BasilBabyEater Sun 07-Jul-13 21:52:52

I find both the men's and women's games boring tbh.

I don't discriminate.

tennis

BasilBabyEater Sun 07-Jul-13 21:52:04

Because it is whingeing when women expect their existence and achievements to be acknowledged.

Whingeing, I tell you. grin

classifiedinformation Sun 07-Jul-13 21:36:45

A British man was in the mens doubles duo who won the title last year. However, it is obvious that with Andy Murray they are referring to the men's title because of the comparison to Fred Perry.

If Laura Robson had won the women's title, the media would have been all over her like a rash too.

I am a woman and not sexist, but find the women's game pretty boring. Sorry.

TheSmallClanger Sun 07-Jul-13 21:36:08

Sometimes, it is made clear that they are referring to the men's singles. Often, it is not.

Sue Barker's French Open title doesn't seem to count that often when British Grand Slam winners are discussed, either.

Kiriwawa Sun 07-Jul-13 21:31:34

In the report I heard, the commentator said: The first British player to win the singles at Wimbledon in 77 years!'

Although I salute Murray's fantastic achievement, this simply isn't true.

TheFallenMadonna Sun 07-Jul-13 21:19:20

My mistake!

edam Sun 07-Jul-13 21:19:16

The WTA has proposed playing five sets, they've been knocked back. The women are quite prepared to play five, it's the tournament organisers who don't want them to.

ilovesooty Netherlands Sun 07-Jul-13 21:18:31

Yes, it was Betty Stove. It doesn't have an accent.

Well being objective from the commentary I heard I had no idea there had been any British winners since 1936

TheFallenMadonna Sun 07-Jul-13 21:17:20

She best Betty Stove in the final. There should be some kind of accent there too I think, but not sure where...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now