To be furious at poor hygiene

(83 Posts)
PenguinBear Sat 06-Jul-13 18:59:44

We are at a BBQ hosted by another family and he has just put the meat on the BBQ. He touched all the raw meat with his hands and has since poured the wine, touched the chair and then his face! I am a tad very neurotic about raw meat after a horrendous food poisoning incident while camping as a teen. 

I don't feel I can eat anything or let the dc go near anything. What do I do? I feel v stressed ( I knows it's an over reaction) but what do I do?

EliotNess Sat 06-Jul-13 19:00:09

You're being obsessive

Shitsinger Sat 06-Jul-13 19:01:57

ugh grim !
I would go home but I don't do Barbeques for this very reason!

GetStuffezd Sat 06-Jul-13 19:02:00

Agree with Eliot

minibmw2010 Sat 06-Jul-13 19:02:22

It's not great but I thought the risk was raw chicken, not raw meat as such?

Preciousbane Sat 06-Jul-13 19:02:46

The meat will be cooked, just don't lick his face or the chair

maternitart Sat 06-Jul-13 19:03:13

If the meat is cooked through, you'll be fine eating it.

"Jokingly" say "aren't you going to wash your hands after touching all that raw meat, we'll all be puking tonight if you're not careful!"

This is one of the reasons I'm glad I'm veggie! hope it's not chicken, campylobacter is horrid

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Sat 06-Jul-13 19:03:45

I'd be a bit concerned if it were chicken, less so other meats.

Just have plenty of wine. It'll kill the bacteria. Or you won't care anymore.

Sparklingbrook Sat 06-Jul-13 19:04:25

Isn't it a bit rude MNetting at a BBQ. You should be mingling, and chatting.

If you hadn't been watching him you would never have known. as long as the meat is well cooked you will be fine. Don't stress and try and enjoy yourself.

valiumredhead Sat 06-Jul-13 19:05:20

Add long as the meat is cooked through and he's not chipping salad with same knife as the meat you'll be fine. You'd be horrified of you saw what went on in a professional kitchen if you think that's badgrin

valiumredhead Sat 06-Jul-13 19:05:48

As
Chopping

EvieanneVolvic Sat 06-Jul-13 19:05:59

Sweet jesus how do some people even get up in the morning???

And absolutely what Sparkling said...where are your manners??

Sparklingbrook Sat 06-Jul-13 19:06:16

Make yourself a big sandwich with all the salad/coleslaw. But check for flies in it first.

tripecity Sat 06-Jul-13 19:06:31

Ask him to wash his hands - and dont even do it jokingly, I wouldnt. Thats horrid, I'm not surprised you arent happy!

tiggytape Sat 06-Jul-13 19:06:47

I don't think that's obsessive. Epecially if it is chicken or minced products like burgers and especially if he is touching other things that will be eaten (or drank) without being cooked.
It depends whether this was on the way indoors to wash his hands or whether all the food will be touched by someone handling raw meat.

CaptainJamesTKirk Sat 06-Jul-13 19:07:30

What preciousbane said.

EvieanneVolvic Sat 06-Jul-13 19:07:57

Ask him to wash his hands - and don't even do it jokingly

and this will have the added benefit of making sure you're never invited again!

Sparklingbrook Sat 06-Jul-13 19:08:36

Poor Man. he lays on a BBQ and everyone is watching him cook and ewwwing.

I wouldn't like it but then I hate touching raw meat and always wash my hands straight after, I did a food hygiene course for work many moons ago so I am always thinking 'cross contamination!' - that was the answer to most of the questions grin

What if he touches the buns next without washing his hands...surely that will leave some raw meatiness ?!

CaptainJamesTKirk Sat 06-Jul-13 19:08:59

And sparkling is right, you're at a BBQ as a guest. Get off your phone and stop MNing!

Sparkling, are you hosting a BBQ right about now? grin

EvieanneVolvic Sat 06-Jul-13 19:11:21

Not everyone Sparkling, just the OP! Who was probably so engrossed with her MNing that she didn't see him slather antibac all over the place!

Sparklingbrook Sat 06-Jul-13 19:11:41

No Sugar. grin

Sparklingbrook Sat 06-Jul-13 19:12:26

I feel sorry for BBQ man TBH.

EvieanneVolvic Sat 06-Jul-13 19:12:31

What if he touches the buns next without washing his hands

Wine through my nose...for a moment I thought you meant an entirely different kind of bun in which case raw meat traces would be the least of it!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now