to complain to shop about ice cream cone??

(105 Posts)
Gingerandcocoa Sat 06-Jul-13 10:06:07

I went to a local ice cream shop yesterday, and really wanted my ice cream in a cone. I noted, however, that the serving staff were using their bare hands to pick up the cone, right after handling money - as i've seen sooo many times in the UK and europe.

I think it's absolutely disgusting, and whilst I have in the past politely asked if they could use a napkin to pick up mine (I apologised and said I was really fussy), this time I didn't want to upset anyone, just had mine in a cup, but then proceeded to write to the shop complaining.

I really don't think I am BU, but maybe I am? I don't understand why others don't complain??? Who can even guarantee that the staff wash their hands after using the loo???

Didactylos Sun 07-Jul-13 19:19:59

but this is what you have stomach acid for!

RockChicken1 Sun 07-Jul-13 19:10:39

Speaking as a microbiologist this is honestly not something you need to worry about. Yes coins are dirty but they don't provide very good environments for bacteria to grow. You would need a sufficient number of bacterial cells to transfer from the coins, to the ice cream man's hands, to the cone and then to your body. And for the bacteria to be pathogenic, most species are harmless.

Tee2072 Sun 07-Jul-13 17:45:48

Chuff when they first started doing that our favourite Chinese got a 0/5.

Not our favourite any more!

mumofapirate Sun 07-Jul-13 17:18:41

I wouldn't complain personally as I don't have freshly washed hands myself so it'd be a bit daft. So yes yabu imo.

Branleuse Sun 07-Jul-13 17:12:58

ocd?

ChuffMuffin Sun 07-Jul-13 17:07:08

I really don't think a touched ice cream cone will kill you. But if you're worried look them up on Scores on the Doors, it's a website that lists food hygiene ratings for takeaways/shops by you. So it'll show you the places that really ARE dirty feckers.

I made the mistake of searching my postcode and now I can't eat from about two thirds of the takeaways round here. I'm talking 1 out of 5 scores. One mobile catering van even scored 0 out of 5 shock. Bleurgh.

primallass Sun 07-Jul-13 16:55:31

It's threads like this that make me realise how slovenly I am.

YoureAllABunchOfBastards Sun 07-Jul-13 16:31:32

I just read this out loud to DH. dS1, aged 6, piped up 'Just eat the ice cream and throw the cone in the bin. That's what she should do if she's that worried.'

jamdonut Sun 07-Jul-13 14:13:26

Hands should be washed regularly and things like trays kept clean, but really,something like ice-cream in a cone is unlikely to kill you! I hate to see dirty conditions ,but I would never even have given that a second thought when buying one!
How the hell did I reach almost 49 years of age? Certainly not by worrying about things like this...and my children (now teenage to 20's) have hardly ever had sickness or diarrhoea.hmm

Tee2072 Sun 07-Jul-13 14:11:12

Eating it, rather. Sorry. Should have proofread.

YoureAllABunchOfBastards Sun 07-Jul-13 14:02:49

Eh? Jesus Christ, it has never occurred to me to worry about any of this crap!

Tee2072 Sun 07-Jul-13 13:57:57

ivy my point is that you're already reading it. Even in your own home.

Clary Sun 07-Jul-13 00:15:03

I hate the "gloves on to handle food" nonsense. I agree with those who say you can't wash your gloves in the way that you can wash your hands!

I honestly have no problem having other people touching my food with their hands. Think about it - how does all the food you eat get to you? Do you not think it is handled by people somewhere along the way? Yes they wash their hands (maybe...I have worked in a number of food prep factories in my time!) but in between they may/must have touched other surfaces, cutlery, etc.

But then I pick up an eat food off the kitchen floor (it is clean tho because I clean it often) grin

rob99 Sat 06-Jul-13 23:44:13

It's a big problem, I don't know what can be done about it but I pray to God that someone will find a solution soon.

HairyGrotter Sat 06-Jul-13 23:40:13

I read somewhere that most bank notes have cocaine residue on, therefore I make a point of always licking bank notes before paying for my ice cream

OhDearNigel Sat 06-Jul-13 23:27:53

I always watch out for which fries touch the tray, and then throw those out..........

This has got to be a joke post, surely ?

OhDearNigel Sat 06-Jul-13 23:26:34

Another human touched your ice cream cone while preparing it ??

[faints in shock]

Changebagsandgladrags Sat 06-Jul-13 23:01:14

And when someone takes the gloves out of the packet they are touching them all over with their dirty manky pooey hands. If I were you I'd get out of the ice cream queue altogether. grin

ivykaty44 Sat 06-Jul-13 21:54:45

tee of course there is shit everywhere - but still doesn't mean I want to eat the stuff and especially someone else shit

Altinkum Sat 06-Jul-13 21:49:00

Right so I assume you wash your hands before eating the ice cream... You did after all touch money.

Gloves, you still handle the money and touch the food items, hence still the same germs! And possibly a thousand more with others money.

In my work, we use our bare hands, wash hands regularly and use hand wash after each transaction.

Yabu. Gloves are much worse than bare hands, hands will at times be washed, gloves will never be washed.

It's a false sense of hygiene safety.

TabithaStephens Sat 06-Jul-13 21:26:23

I've never even thought about this. I think people get too hung up about germs etc.

KingRollo Sat 06-Jul-13 21:21:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nanny0gg Sat 06-Jul-13 21:14:28

<idly wonders how she's lived to nearly 60 with all these nasty germs about...>

Fakebook Sat 06-Jul-13 21:07:59

Get a life.

Bluecarrot Sat 06-Jul-13 21:06:17

My local butcher lifts meat then takes money while wearing the same gloves. It freaks me out so much I don't go there but of course I know that all circulated money is heaving with germs, but this case is so obvious i feel queasy! Bleugh!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now