AIBU to think that leaving young children in a car for over 1/2 an hour in this heat is irresponsible.

(42 Posts)

Yesterday DH told me that in the full heat of the afternoon he had seen two children (young under 3) sleeping in a car for over half an hour and still no sign of parent. No windows open. Must have been like an oven in there.

Apart from the other risks, AIBU to think this parent was irresponsible?

5 mins while popping to the shop is one thing, but half an hour is a long time.

TidyDancer Sat 06-Jul-13 12:32:03

Christ that's terrible. I can't imagine what goes through people's minds to think that's okay!

I wouldn't leave the DCs or DDog in this weather, not even for minutes. In the heat we have at the moment, it's simply not worth the risk.

Turniptwirl Sat 06-Jul-13 12:26:56

Glad the kids were ok! Hope the police go give the parent a severe talking to.

I wouldn't leave a dog in the car in this heat never mind children!

LifeIsSoBad Sat 06-Jul-13 12:03:26

Oops sorry OP just read your DH friend called them

LifeIsSoBad Sat 06-Jul-13 11:42:57

I would have called 999 straight away. That's disgusting!! Poor children. TBH I'm shocked your DH never

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sat 06-Jul-13 11:41:46

I would be never, ever, leave DS in the car on his own. He is only 7 months at the moment but I do think the consequences are too awful

It was boiling yesterday and I managed to lock my car keys, purse and phone in the car. Normally I put DS in the car first but hasn't as it was so hot and wanted the car to cool down a bit.

If I had, I would have smashed a window immediately - absolutely.

I really don't think I am PFB but it's the one thing that gives me the shivers. I even get DH to get me petrol as I hate lugging him inside if I can't pay at the pump.

3littlefrogs Sat 06-Jul-13 11:32:35

I once stopped a man who was going to leave his (tiny) baby in his car while he went to collect some medication from the hospital pharmacy. He could have been ages. It obviously hadn't occurred to him that this was not an appropriate thing to do.

I am afraid I told him that if I was his wife I would be really upset with him.

He probably thought I was an interfering old bat. However, he did then take the baby with him.

jojane Sat 06-Jul-13 11:06:44

I did leave ds1 and ds2 strapped in car at tescos the other day. We had bought petrol and about to go on a 1/2 hour trip. Dd decided she was DESPERATE for the loo and couldn't possible wait so I parked up grabbed her and ran into toilet. Windows were open a little bit and ds1 is 6 so would have been able to tell any passerby where I was and that I was coming right back. I hated doing it and ran the whole way, think i was gone about 3 min as ran in, dumped dd on loo, yanked her off and ran back.

wonderingsoul Sat 06-Jul-13 10:55:37

you may have only been a couple of minutes but passer by wouldnt have known that.

DoubleLifeIsALifeHalved Sat 06-Jul-13 10:53:23

Oh thank God for that! From your first post I was scared he just left them like that.

People that leave children or animals in cars like that should be arrested. It's the arrogance of them that really pisses me off... 'oh I know better and will continue to risk the lives of my children just because I am so fucking inportant'!!! It's really scary.

His colleague gave the registration number to the Police when they turned up so hopefully they will pay her a visit. She was very rude and swore at DH's colleague when he challenged her. She should have been grateful that her kids were ok and that someone cared enough to stop and make sure they were ok.

DeathByTray Sat 06-Jul-13 09:38:21

I wouldn't automatically assume the parent/carer was being irresponsible.
They may have had every intention just to be a couple of minutes but something happened to them. I would always act to be on the safe side.

wonderingsoul Sat 06-Jul-13 09:36:28

deff phone the police if you see this sort of thing again.

even for a dog.

id even go as far as break a window to let some air in.

bit ott but children and animals die.

just think about when you first get into your car after its been in the sun for an hour.. its so hot you cant breath and you gagging to get the windows down ac on. its like an oven.

3littlefrogs Sat 06-Jul-13 09:31:39

I hope they got the registration number OP.

3littlefrogs Sat 06-Jul-13 09:30:25

Another lady came along while I was trying to calm the children (shouting through the closed windows - probably not helpful, but car was locked and the children were all strapped in car seats).

I looked in all the shops nearby (car parked on very busy main road), couldn't find the driver.

The other lady who came along actually made a citizens arrest when the woman came back with all her bags. She had been gone at least 20 minutes.

The police came and took her name and address and said they would be round to speak to her and the parents of the children. She couldn't see what she had done wrong. She was very irate at our interference.

I just asked him what happened, sorry to drip feed.

He was passing then came back and they were still there half an hour later. His work colleague called Police, but apparently the parent turned up whilst his colleague was waiting for them. About 45 minutes after he first saw them. Colleague gave them a telling off, but they drove off before the Police got there.

apachepony Sat 06-Jul-13 09:28:00

Jaysis, please let us know the kids were alright, that is certainly long enough for serious harm.

DeathByTray Sat 06-Jul-13 09:24:47

Horse, I'm not so sure as the OP said "over half an hour and still no sign of the parents"

3littlefrogs - that is awful, the poor children.

I presume your DH saw the parent come back after the 30 minutes?

3littlefrogs Sat 06-Jul-13 09:21:50

I once called the police when I saw 3 small children left in a car. It wasn't a particularly hot day, but they were distressed because the alarm kept going off.

The police took it very seriously.

They were being looked after by the grandmother and she had gone off to do her shopping.

Children die in hot cars. Not just dogs.

I would've banged on the window to wake them up. Then I would've dialled 999. They could've been abandoned.

Hope they're ok.

AuntieStella Sat 06-Jul-13 09:19:23

Sadly there are cases of babies dying from overheating in cars (bigger children tend to be able to get out).

I'd call the police to a dog in a car with no open windows on a hot day, and definitely for children.

CocacolaMum Sat 06-Jul-13 09:17:22

DeathByTray I agree!

3littlefrogs Sat 06-Jul-13 09:16:49

They could have died in that time.

Why on earth didn't he call the police?

Seriously - did he really observe that for 30 minutes and not do anything?

FannyFifer Sat 06-Jul-13 09:15:55

Do he watched for half an hour & just left? Did parents turn up?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now