Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To wake OH up to get a daddy long legs

(48 Posts)
doingmyhead Sat 06-Jul-13 00:42:40

Out of the bedroom?

I know I am a wimp but I am proper confused

I won't be able to sleep unless my head is under the covers and it's way to hot for that tonight!

Oh my!

MadeOfStarDust Sat 06-Jul-13 20:24:18

I can tell you how my fear of spiders started.....

MIL comes rushing into our bedroom to get hubby to kill one in the spare room when she was staying there..... we were <ahem> "busy" at the time - I was MORTIFIED!!

Her response - without even flinching was "Oh, when you are done son, can you get rid of this spider in my room?"

Not a clue. My psyche is a strange and multi layered bottle of weird, obviously!

cozietoesie Sat 06-Jul-13 20:09:33

I think it better not to ask how this fish phobia arose.

I would actually have a heart attack if a fish.wandered into my house.

I can't walk through the fish market in town, I get shaky at the thought!

Not normal me! grin

Solari Sat 06-Jul-13 13:55:35

Arrrgh cozietoesie! Although, I did live with someone who had a cat once. They did eat all the spiders, but had a bad habit of regurgitating them onto the carpet in pieces, to be stepped on in a squishy mess in the dark of night. envy

bluebell8782 Sat 06-Jul-13 13:44:36

Yanbu for getting DH to do it but Yabu to call them Daddy Long Legs..Dll's are spiders and don't fly. The flying things are crane flies I think.

cozietoesie Sat 06-Jul-13 13:41:14

Get a cat, Solari. (If you don't mind the sound of crunching.) They have a special fondness for DDL.

Solari Sat 06-Jul-13 13:16:35

perplexedpirate , did you see this comedy bit too? Your post reminded me of it. grin

youtu.be/ewOS4AsJMS8

Solari Sat 06-Jul-13 13:14:31

<shudder> DH is the designated daddy long legs catcher here. But I can't bear to watch him do it, as he actually walks up to it and plucks it out of the air/off the wall with his hand!

How? How can someone do that? <shudders some more>

perplexedpirate Sat 06-Jul-13 13:00:12

I can cope with any insect, Mosquitos, spiders (yes I know they're not insects hmm) even the big ass roaches where I used to live, but faced with a daddy long legs I come over all vommy.
They are just shit. They are spectacularly badly designed, look stupid flying, and would be venomous but for the fact that their ridiculous fangs are too weak to bite.
Daddy long legs are stupid. Stupid!

quesadilla Sat 06-Jul-13 10:37:52

YANBU. I am a major league arachnophobe and I wouldn't need to wake DH to remove one: I would scream the house down, in fact I have been known to ask him to check rooms before I go in if its spider season.

cozietoesie Sat 06-Jul-13 10:10:00

Marauding Mackerel ?

I take the point.

grin

AgentZigzag Sat 06-Jul-13 09:48:04

That depends on where you live cozie.

cozietoesie Sat 06-Jul-13 09:11:23

Well fish don't generally wander uninvited into your house TooTaboo.

hmm

DLL are evil fuckers. I have a genuine phobia, as well as fish. OMG even reading this I am beyond cringing and looking around in case one jumps out and tries to eat me.

I swore DD wouldn't be the same as I find want her growing up being frightened by insects. Encouraged her as a toddler and kept a lid on my fear if a DLL approached.

Yeah, she's now petrified of everything. Gah.

My mum is like you MrTumble. She doesn't experience it so it doesn't exist. Only it does and regardless of whether it is scientifically "real" or not, it isn't pleasant and I would do anything to not be frightened of a bloody fly sad

Spiders are great, I name them and have been known to say hello to them blush

Don't get me started on fish <shudders>

bigmumma73 Sat 06-Jul-13 08:08:17

Hope u all finally got to sleep! Cluffy I imagine getting back to sleep after horse incident took a liitle longer than op hubbie did! Had several foxes in house, gotta love living in town! Enjoy the sunshine all!

ImNotBloody14 Sat 06-Jul-13 02:15:27

grin

AgentZigzag Sat 06-Jul-13 02:11:35

Well, you've done really well getting on and posting at all Imnot then smile

You're probably about three stages on from me <necks another>

ImNotBloody14 Sat 06-Jul-13 02:08:36

Im a bit vodkad

ImNotBloody14 Sat 06-Jul-13 02:08:05

Age t is right

AgentZigzag Sat 06-Jul-13 01:58:58

You're right squoosh, they haven't got the evil intent spiders have, plotting away at how best to fuck you up to revenge their dead relations.

Dlls just remind me of picking special mushies in october before the first frosts, they're everywhere on the grass then.

AgentZigzag Sat 06-Jul-13 01:55:56

Can I be of any help Imnot?

'I could take a horse out of the garden, but I couldn't cope with daddy long legs'?

That's alcoholic fat fingers that is grin

Love it.

squoosh Sat 06-Jul-13 01:55:19

I used to really hate Daddy Long Legs' till I realised they were stupid, bouncy things that were a bit clueless once you switched the light off.

HansieMom Sat 06-Jul-13 01:51:00

There is no reason to kill a daddy long legs! Just let it crawl onto a paper and take it outside. I tell my grandchildren it is just busy being a spider, no need to kill it, for goodness sake!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now