To let me daughter put 'no address' letters in the post box every few days? Or is it causing too much extra work for Royal Mail?

(124 Posts)
FiveSugarsPlease Fri 05-Jul-13 21:24:22

My daughter is 5 and has HFA.

For the past few months, she's been telling me about a teddy bear friend called Jerren who lives in Africa. She likes to draw pictures and letters for him.

For the past few weeks, she's been wanting to post them each time. I agreed to this as i thought there was no harm. It's just 2-3 sheets of paper in the post box each week that can be recycled/put in the bin quite easily, and it keeps a little girl happy.

But posting one of the pictures today, a man and lady stopped me and said i was causing a lot of extra work for Royal Mail by littering the post box with nonsense.

DD tried to explain to the lady about her bear friend, i tried to subtly explain, too. The couple just rolled their eyes and walked off.

I'm now wondering if I'm BU letting dd post these letters? She'll be heartbroken if i make her stop before she's ready or before this phase naturally wears off. But if it's some sort of crime and/or giving the postal workers extra work, I should stop, yes?

Opinions would be very much appreciated.

PigOnStilts Fri 05-Jul-13 22:15:46

I think it's a Shame to send all that hard work off into the ether....you have to address it even just back to yourself...you'd be so happy to have all that in years time.

vintagecakeisstillnice Fri 05-Jul-13 22:18:08

Ohh Catgirl1976 I now have that image too.

But its all in black and white, and very very serious.

Sadly, (though the vodka may be to blame here) I can also see Jerren Bear pacing though the undergrowth/overgrowth wondering where his letters are.

Cursing Royal Mail; wondering if he should start a thread: Royal Mail; How crap are they!

I mean really there's only one species of me in this WHOLE continent, they could ask around. . .

Realises she’s getting too involved and backs away. .

MistyB Fri 05-Jul-13 22:21:14

catgirl that's the bones of a great book.

There is a MN children's illustrator who has done something for another MN daughter.

I think it should start with the grumpy people not believing in Jerren and ending with Jerren being found and somehow being confronted with evidence of his existence, though of course would need a wink at then end as we all really know that Jerren is really just a teddy bear.

HFA with a cracking sense of imagination, op, your daughter sounds lovely!

(and what on earth do the grumpy people think at Christmas, do they hang out a post boxes telling young children that Father Christmas doesn't exist and not to waste the Royal Mail's resources!)

Tullahulla Fri 05-Jul-13 22:21:32

Oh and next time you see the do gooders, tell them to naff off! Believe me, when my son was 5 he was putting much worse things in the post box! Unbeknown to me him and his wee pal were pouring strawberry milkshake in one.
For years I sent letter to my gran, loving written on my Wombles stationary with no stamp on it, she just paid when her postman delivered and never told me for years.
Of course, now I'm an adult and a manager in a P.O, I am much more responsible!

Purple2012 Fri 05-Jul-13 22:21:44

Could Jerren have a little girl owner who writes back saying how much Jerren likes the letters and pictures?

catgirl1976 Fri 05-Jul-13 22:22:00

YY vintage smile Black and white and fritfully serious

But now I too can see a forlorn Jerren looking wistfully out over the Savannah

steppemum Fri 05-Jul-13 22:24:48

OP - do you think Jerren might have friends who like to write to jerren's human friend???

She could get photos of teddies with a message form all over the place, and then she could send a letter back. Jerren's friends might even pass on her pictures to Jerren

I would happily take a photo of a bear and send a message to jerren via your dd!

BridgetBidet Fri 05-Jul-13 22:31:52

I bet she gets a letter back from 'Jerren' in the not too distant future. You'd have to be totally heartless not to see it for the lovely thing it is.

WhiteBirdBlueSky Fri 05-Jul-13 22:33:17

That film sounds like a classic catgirl.

ParadiseChick Fri 05-Jul-13 22:34:54

That's so sweet tell the old couple to fuck off

I like to think the postie has then ask pinned up in his wee howf.

inneedofrain Fri 05-Jul-13 22:37:06

I think it is a lovely idea

I would be most happy to write back from Jarred's friend

I'm well practiced writing note from Santa, fairies all sorts me

BriansBrain Fri 05-Jul-13 22:37:43

You could send your daughters pictures to a willing friend who eventually sends the letters all back to your daughter with a Jerren visiting for its holidays!

rockybalboa Fri 05-Jul-13 22:40:09

Aw, that's cute! Screw the sticky beaks. I'd happily write back too (although I'm not in Africa...)

Melfish Fri 05-Jul-13 22:43:00

What a miserable pair of old farts! What business is it of theirs- I take it they weren't RM staff. If the posties just bin letters like that via their sorting machine then it is hardly onerous. FGS DH posted his hat when he was a kid, then got a fit of remorse and had to wait by the postbox for the postman to appear and rescue it for him.
Let DD keep on posting!

vintagecakeisstillnice Fri 05-Jul-13 22:46:53

Oh I'm welling up here at poor old Jerren doing that 1940/50s hitch in the voice while looking wistfully out over the Savannah.

(You know what I mean, all very Brief Encounter)

Scene goes all black and white:

Imagine a sturdy 30ish bear , well groomed with a raffish touch about him, tempered with a hint of deep deep sadness.

He and friends are having the usual Ex-Pat G & T chat and someone crass enough asks why he doesn’t have a friend.

(I want to say owner here because you own your teddy bear but. . . . )

And he says:

I once had a young lady who was so good as to write to me from the old country. (Wistful look at pic of Queen E)

One Day,

One Day,

I will show her what her faith in me accomplished.

She made me a better Bear

Fade to black with rousing music. . .

BridgetBidet Fri 05-Jul-13 22:49:04

I had letters from Spiderman posted to me from the top of the empire state building when I was little. You should get someone to write back and post it when they're on holiday if you can?

youmeatsix Fri 05-Jul-13 22:50:08

i think that is so sweet, the couple should mind their own business. I would be sending them to a relative, you could make them into a book for her for when she is older, it would make a fabulous keepsake

Beaverfeaver Fri 05-Jul-13 22:53:37

I would like to think the posties enjoy receiving the letters and have the pictures up on their pin board in te post office.

Please don't stop posting them in the letter box as otherwise you might upset the posties

catgirl1976 Fri 05-Jul-13 22:56:05

vintage - we must have the same mind or vodka - that is exactly it grin

catgirl1976 Fri 05-Jul-13 22:57:14

Misty - I think I might write it (with royalties to FiveSugars DD grin )

FiveSugarsPlease Fri 05-Jul-13 23:07:59

grin

The story made me laugh! I'll definitely be telling it to dd tomorrow.

Thank you for all the offers of being Jerren(s).

But dd is very picky, and i think the reason she likes not having a reply (aside the fact from him just being a teddy bear and thus incapable of writing), is that she likes it to all be on her terms. So if Jerren was to spontaneously reply, he might say the wrong thing, or might draw the wrong picture. So far it's all in her own mind, he thinks and acts exactly as she wants him to, and that's what's keeping her happy.

However...

I love all of these ideas.

I'll try and suggest the homemade postbox to her tomorrow, but she's very clever and will forever watch it until a postman comes to collect her mail.

She puts an awful lot of thought and passion into each of Jerren's letters, and it would be lovely to keep a few of them (not enough room for them all) to look back on when she's older. I might sneakily add on my own address to a few and put them in my big cardboard box of sentimental stuff when they get posted back to us.

You're all lovely thanks

IneedAsockamnesty Fri 05-Jul-13 23:09:27

I have it on very good authority (In fact the country's leading expert in teddy bears called jerren) that every single one ( some complicated sciencey stuff about evolution but started being noticed in about 1899 and first documented by dr H Stieff) is quite compatant in several methods of communication.

This includes but is not limited to a very interesting picture board and photo combo type of tapping system that enables them to hold a full conversation and express there needs. As an aside they are also well known for being very charming as a result of these unique skills there has for some time been a gov grant that is available to all bears apon reaching the age of 3 years and 2 months to enable them to fund a scribe sadly there are only about 50 fully trained scribes in the entire country who are licensed and able to accept work as the grant is paid by a voucher system but they do offer a very attractive training package if anyone's interested.

The scribes work from very well advertised comunity centres so are easy to find.

Due to the charming nature of these bears the scribes are very used to replying to the many letters the bears recive ( they even have a section on it in the course)

I know its not the done thing on MN to refer to previous threads but I'm sure MNHQ will make an exception under these circumstances but I'm sure that all 7 of the country's leading scribe trainers are actually mumsnetters as is the great great great great granddaughter of dr H Stieff who may have inherited the documentation that proves this great talent.

I'm only shocked that such educated obvious jerren fans are unaware of this fact.

I used to do this blush grin
I used to write to Care Bears, not even the proper ones, ones I'd made up. I had a really vivid imagination as a child and used to love writing and drawing to them then posting them on. My mum just humoured me.

Let her carry on, it won't be forever, the couple were a pair of misery guts.
I don't do it these days grin, and it's now a fond (but embarrassing) story my mum likes to tell from time to time.
I had totally forgotten about it until I read this thread.

Robinredboobs Fri 05-Jul-13 23:26:02

I think you should put the letters in an envelope and pay for a stamp. That way you are teaching her how to post letters correctly and at the same time paying to use the service (even though they won't end up anywhere). Putting sheets of paper in the post box? No I don't think that's on really. I secong getting a family or friend to receive the letters then she will be really happy when the reply comes back from "Africa".

Have you read the op's posts properly Robin?

Thought not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now