Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think you can't judge a child by their name??

(413 Posts)
SaveWaterDrinkMalibu Thu 04-Jul-13 21:45:26

Would you judge a child by their first name?

Katie Hopkins on this morning was saying how she judged the children her children play with by their names.

There's a YouTube video but can't link it

SarahAndFuck Mon 08-Jul-13 10:56:30

X-posted. He wasn't old at all. Parents must have known. I was fifteen in 1990 and you couldn't move at school without someone calling you a dick for something.

SarahAndFuck Mon 08-Jul-13 11:09:41

Yes, that might be newer. We didn't cover goodhead in English lessons grin.

But I would still guess that they knew. Certainly at school at the time there was a lot of graffiti along the lines of "X gives good head" etc.

And to draw on random references, because I really don't want to google "good head", I remember the 1970's remake of King Kong, where the lead actress makes a reference to the film Deep Throat, released a couple of years before the KK remake.

I haven't seen DT but I suspect that it, and other films like it in the 70's/80's, had put 'good head' in the public vocabulary well before this boy's parents decided that Richard went well with their surname. grin

Yes, I would agree that the parents should have been well aware that the name Richard goodhead would raise eyebrows/guffaws in 1990. If he'd been born in the 40s or 50s, I can see that they might have thought nothing of the name. But you'd have to have been living in a box for decades not to give it some thought in 1990.

PriyaKoothrappali Mon 08-Jul-13 15:51:27

I also interviewed someone with the name Butt. However, the whole family as a oner, changed their name by deedpoll and when we asked him why, he said 'WE JUST DID..ALRIGHT???!!' grin. sorry. I have drifted from the point of the original OP blush.

Yours,
Chardonnay Falulla Smith.

YoniWheretheSunDontShine Mon 08-Jul-13 16:59:47

We know MN judge by names in a horrific way!

We all know Tarquin and Octavias shop at waitrose and eat humous...

Rupert and any slightly posh sounding names have been slammed to high heavens over the years on here!

They named the Bond girl in Moonraker Holly Goodhead in 1979, so unless someone's going to argue that that was an entirely innocent choice...?

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 08-Jul-13 17:39:38

Speaking of Bond Girls - Pussy Galore. Totally innocent of course wink. No judgements to be made there.

Lilka Mon 08-Jul-13 19:10:31

Also speaking of Bond - forget the girls questionable names, what about Roger Moore? wink grin

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 08-Jul-13 19:44:38

Lilka grin grin

I can across a paediatrician called Roger Young once, which I felt was unfortunate.

CaterpillarCara Mon 08-Jul-13 20:52:28

DP and his siblings are Edward, Hugo and Cindy.

If you think they don't match, then you judge names.

PriyaKoothrappali Mon 08-Jul-13 21:36:59

I know of quite a few families whose older child/ren have quite 'conservative' names then they have a younger one with a more 'liberal' name. It's often as if the parents have relaxed and don't care what people think anymore and choose the name they've always loved. For example I know a Sarah and her younger sister Coralie.

Zynnia Mon 08-Jul-13 22:52:43

I went to school with a Andy Niblock and he was OBVIOUSLY called Randy Noblick for six years.

Priyakoothrappali, interesting theory.

revealall Mon 08-Jul-13 23:12:35

PriyaKoothrappali - agreed!

I'm not sure the whole Dick and Willy thing makes any difference though to people naming their children Richard and William. They are very traditional names and the shortened versions are just part of being a bloke.

Fanny being feminine and therefore utterly disgusting has died a death.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now