To think the Met spending £5 million on Maddie McCann is unfair on others who have missing children

(457 Posts)
Ilovemyself Thu 04-Jul-13 18:24:08

I know how retched I would feel if I were in the McCanns position, and would want no expense to be spared in the hunt for answers.

But I can't help but think that this case has been so high profile that other cases must have funding cut or not even be followed up as the budget is limited.

I honestly don't know what the answer is, but it does seem this case has benefitted in ways others wouldn't.

I feel bad for thinking its unfair on others, but just can't help wondering how other victims of serious crime feel.

Salmotrutta Thu 04-Jul-13 18:26:07

Have you considered that it might lead to finding other missing children too? hmm

Whoever did it presumably didnt just do it once.

lucamom Thu 04-Jul-13 18:28:54

I don't care how much it costs. For her and all the missing children we should find the money and never stop looking.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Thu 04-Jul-13 18:29:39

I think they would want the same level for themselves, not a lower level for someone else.

I wish each and every case had the same attention and resources, it is a tragedy that the money simply isn't allocated there. But I wouldn't think that that meant that this case should have less.

That's like saying that because there are starving people, all others should have less food. I'd prefer to bring the least up than the most down, iyswim.

But, as with all things, it comes down to money and the priorities of those who have control over it.

FreudiansSlipper Thu 04-Jul-13 18:29:56

YABVVVU

i can not get my head around anyone thinking that way

Ilovemyself Thu 04-Jul-13 18:30:27

Salmotrutta. That is a point I didn't actually consider and a good one. Not that those in the UK would necessarily benefit. Maybe because it is outside of our jurisdiction it sits slightly uneasier in my head.

thebody Thu 04-Jul-13 18:31:42

I just hope they find her and others like Ben needham too.

thebody Thu 04-Jul-13 18:32:04

I just hope they find her and others like Ben needham too.

BarbarianMum Thu 04-Jul-13 18:32:09

I think the police should investigate and continue investigating the disappearance of all missing children when it is felt that the investigation is or could lead to new evidence, lines of enquiry etc

In fact, I'm pretty sure that is how such cases are supposed to be handled (although when it comes to teen 'runaways' it clearly isn't always).

So on that basis, I have no problem with the Met continuing to look for Madeleine if they feel there is more that can be reasonably done. Regardless of costs to date.

Presumably some new evidence has come to light? There must be a reason for them to reopen enquiries.

lottieandmia Thu 04-Jul-13 18:34:03

God, not this again, Btw she was never known as 'Maddie'.

There is something different about this case - the people involved assume Madeleine is alive. There must be a reason for that that isn't public information.

There is more to this case than we know. YABU

saintmerryweather Thu 04-Jul-13 18:34:53

yanbu op...there are so many children that go missing every year that we never hear about. surely its better to spread the resources a bit more evenly to try to find more children

CloudsAndTrees Thu 04-Jul-13 18:38:19

YABU.

It has nothing to do with any other case. If there is £5m worth of work to be done, then they should get on and do it.

So much money out of the public purse is wasted on so many different things, but an abducted child is not one of them.

googlyeyes Thu 04-Jul-13 18:39:49

Yabvu

Just because you can't help everyone, doesn't mean you shouldn't help anyone.

Many children go missing every year, but it is incredibly, incredibly rare for it to happen in this kind of circumstance. That's why Madeleine's case, and Ben Needham's have stuck in our minds

soverylucky Thu 04-Jul-13 18:39:56

they should spend more on others - it isn't that they are spending too much on Madeline - they are not spending enough on others.

DontmindifIdo Thu 04-Jul-13 18:40:37

Saintmeryweather - most of the children who go missing where we never hear about them it's because there's a good idea of who has them, most 'missing' children are actually with a parent or relative who doesn't have a right to take them, or are children who have run away.

Anyway, OP, YABU - because quite frankly, the money would be also found for any other missing child enquiry if there was a chance of finding them. If the police really didn't have any leads, then this case would be wound up.

JennySense Thu 04-Jul-13 18:40:42

I fully support the new inquiry but I wish that they would reopen the search for Keith Bennett .

I agree, resources need to be shared between cases. Too much has been spent on this case, whereas other parents of missing children get no where near this level of funding.

BarbarianMum Thu 04-Jul-13 18:44:32

<<I fully support the new inquiry but I wish that they would reopen the search for Keith Bennett .>>

How? I mean they do know where he's buried, poor lad, but it is a really big place and as I understand it most standard means of body finding won't work on the peat.

GoldenGytha Thu 04-Jul-13 18:45:47

Yes, I agree with you there Jenny

Poor Keith has to be found, it's heartbreaking that his mother died without
ever knowing where his body is.

I really hope that for the remaining members of his family's sakes, he is found.

And that extends to all families of all missing children.

Ilovemyself Thu 04-Jul-13 18:47:03

I know I would want to spend as much as possible if item was mine. It's not the amount that is being spent on the McCanns. It is the amount that is not being spent on the others.

CloudsAndTrees Thu 04-Jul-13 18:52:17

It's not really about how much is spent on this case compared to others though. It depends if there are leads in other cases that are worth following.

The police should be following every possible line of enquiry in every case. It doesn't matter if they spend 500% more on one case than another, as long as each case is fully investigated and all that can be done is done.

JedwardScissorhands Thu 04-Jul-13 18:53:20

I think I would rather money be spent looking for children who may be alive, or on capturing abductors still at large, than recovering the body of a child who died decades ago and whose murderers were convicted.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Thu 04-Jul-13 18:54:18

When she had been missing for 48hrs a colleague of mine remarked 'Poor kid is fish food'. I was shocked and told him to shut up, there was a good chance they would find her etc. I would say that all sensible hope is well and truly gone now, really.

Ilovemyself Thu 04-Jul-13 18:54:34

Dontmindifido. Do you really think that the money would be found in this day and age? What else would then suffer?

Some areas are getting cut and crime resolution suffers. Something has to give somewhere

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now