Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think that I am just pathetic

(82 Posts)
suchawimp Wed 03-Jul-13 20:12:47

and it isn't normal to be like this at 26.

I did something wrong at work and have to tell my manager tomorrow. I feel sick and am shaking and going hot and cold - I just can't seem to deal with stuff like this. It just makes me feel small and useless.

I don't know what she will say but it won't be nice. I hate being told off and really hate confrontation and raised voices. I don't know why and it is pathetic I know.

Is there a way to toughen up and get over this sort of thing?

froubylou Mon 08-Jul-13 09:30:57

Op, my grandfather used to say to my ma 'worse things happen at sea'.

And although it sounds trite he was right.

You made a mistake. It happens. Use it to become better at your job. I've been there. I left a set of safe keys on my desk. Safe was emptied over night. 3k was never seen again though the keys were returned helpfully to my desk by morning. I got a huge bollocking. But my boss at the time backed me up to head office and put his own job on the line to help me keep mine.

For that I worked harder for him than anyone else I have ever worked for before and my loyalty to him saw ud both shoot up the ladder far quicker than anyone would have believed and even 10 years on I still class him as a friend even though I left the company.

Use it to be a better manager than yours is now. A manager is only as good as the team they have and getting the very best out of all kinds of people isn't something you can learn on a course.

And make sure you are organised for today. You have had some fantastic advice on here. If your manager is passing the book then let her. Request the meeting withher mmanager alone. You will be better thought of in the long run and it will give her something to stew over.

shewhowines Mon 08-Jul-13 09:31:46

I think it's normal to feel like that. I know I have in the past. I think it's worse because she sounds a nightmare boss.

I know it's easy to say and harder to feel - but it is only a job. You are so much more than the sum total of one job. What feels like the end of the world right now, will fade into insignificance soon.

I don't believe there is a person alive who has never cocked up big time at some point or another.

Hope today goes well

DoubleLifeIsALifeHalved Mon 08-Jul-13 11:44:32

Ouch, nasty reaction from your manager... Hope today is bearable

weisswusrt Mon 08-Jul-13 14:03:25

Can you turn it back on her?
Her "You screwed up"
You "yes, I'm sorry. How should I handle situations like this in future"

She is paid to manage people after all....so make her come up with some answers!

theodorakisses Mon 08-Jul-13 14:20:25

Please report back, I hope it goes ok

PrettyKitty1986 Mon 08-Jul-13 14:31:30

Tbh I think the manager is getting a tough deal here.

The op said she 'did something wrong' at work. People seem to be interpreting that as she made a mistake.

For all we know the 'something wrong' could be bordering on gross misconduct. In which case, removing privelages (such as the ops course) could be the best way to go for the manager.

I don't see how people can possibly comment in the Seth they have with such limited information really.

theodorakisses Mon 08-Jul-13 16:21:42

anyone who feels scared, unless are being manipulative weirdos would not have posted this, I would rather make a fool of myself with a troll than not support a real person

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now