To think most people wouldn't carry on speaking on their mobile while being served in a shop?

(256 Posts)
angelos02 Wed 03-Jul-13 09:14:45

On Lorraine (sorry) this morning they were talking about a case in which a cashier refused to serve someone until they finished their mobile phone conversation. What kind of person would carry on speaking on their mobile while being served. I've never seen it happen but clearly it does. Manners? Anyone?

thebody Wed 03-Jul-13 10:12:06

Samandi, I find it incredibly rude to be bombarded by an assistant trying to sell me warrantees or a bloody reward card when all I want to do is pay and go.

YoungBritishPissArtist Wed 03-Jul-13 10:13:07

I saw a sign once in Lakeland saying that they wouldn't serve people on the phone.

I think it's incredibly rude. If the call is important, tell the sales assistant that. Otherwise, just wait until you're outside!

I wasn't brave enough for AIBU when I posted about this yesterday!! Yes it is very rude and a pet hate of mine. Just like loud conversations on trains (once heard a woman discussing her STD then complaining people were listening in) and taking calls / answering texts over dinner.

thebody Wed 03-Jul-13 10:17:15

If I saw that notice in a shop I would assume THEY were incredibly rude.

No wonder out service industry and customer care is so crap.

I am sick of being asked if I want insurance, a reward card, a loyalty points card.., no I don't I just want to pay.

I suspect that's why shops don't like it, just like chuggers don't approach you when you are on the phone as they can't sell you crap.

You can be polite and pay while on a phone.

Bumpotato Wed 03-Jul-13 10:19:16

I agree with thebody

However if the transaction involves anything more than asking if you need a bag it is easier to stop the mobile conversation for a moment.

I've worked in shops and of the customer is always right mentality, unless of course they are being abusive. I don't think a mobile call falls into that category.

angelos02 Wed 03-Jul-13 10:19:39

I think if someone apologises and says the call is important that it is OK. At least that acknowledges it is a bit impolite.

Yonihadtoask Wed 03-Jul-13 10:22:49

I think it is rude.

If the call is that important - speak to the caller and tell them you will phone them back in 5 minutes . No one is ever at the checkout for longer than that surely?

There is a shop local to me - and the guy who owns it/serves on the till is constantly on his mobile - whilst serving customers. he did it last time I went in - I shan't shop there again.

Yonihadtoask Wed 03-Jul-13 10:24:43

I also do not answer a phone call if I am out with a friend, lunching or visiting. I may look at the phone to switch it off. If I was expecting something really important then I would take the call but otherwise no. I certainly don't check for texts every 5minutes like some people I know. It is the height of rudeness, implying that your company isn't sufficient.

angelos02 Wed 03-Jul-13 10:26:30

yoni I completely agree. None of my friends/family do it but I often see people out for drinks or a meal and have their mobile on the table. Put it away FFS.

Beeyump Wed 03-Jul-13 10:27:50

I think that lunch with friends and quickly buying something in a shop are very different scenarios.

GobblersKnob Wed 03-Jul-13 10:27:57

It is the height of rudeness, implying that your company isn't sufficient.

So true.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Wed 03-Jul-13 10:29:08

EXACTLY what Yonihadtoask said. What is wrong with people that they have to check their phone every minute? It's like a comfort blanket or a dummy for some people, I reckon. It is a compulsion and I find it quite disturbing, as well as just bloody rude.

mayorquimby Wed 03-Jul-13 10:30:33

Worked behind a till for years.
Like most things it depends completely in the manner in which someone does it.
Acknowledge the worker and display a bit of an apology and respect = fine
Completely ignore them and act like they're unimportant = very rude

MidniteScribbler Wed 03-Jul-13 10:34:31

It's rude, and the people that think that sales staff are machines and don't deserve the courtesy of being spoken to should stick to the self serve checkouts. But then they won't be able to take their "the fate of the world rests on this" phone call while trying to scan their own groceries to.

Lots of stores here have signs that say they will wait until customers finish a call before serving them. What a shame we need a sign to remind people of basic courtesy and respect for others.

LisaMed Wed 03-Jul-13 10:36:50

I once got refused service at Sainsbury's because I was on the phone many years ago.

I had got my phone out to get h to come and help me unload and pack the trolley as I was recovering from dislocating both shoulders (don't do this, you can't get your knickers up if you have both arms in a sling and you have to go commando!). I was in bits as I was really struggling as it was and it was really only seconds.

I also feel a bit uncomfortable having chats with the till operators but I try and co-operate as I know that they can get into trouble if they don't.

FreudiansSlipper Wed 03-Jul-13 10:37:02

I have done this

my work at the time I took lots of phone calls and diverted my phone to my mobile when away from my desk

I do not feel I was being rude I would still thank the cashier

plainjaney Wed 03-Jul-13 10:38:55

It is bloody rude. I was in queue at Tesco once, just got to the front when DS rang, I said 'call you back in a sec I'm just at the till'. Cashier actually remarked that I was the first person she'd ever seen do that. I find that incredibly sad.

puffinnuffin Wed 03-Jul-13 10:43:03

I was an a keep fit class the other week and a lady there was talking on her phone for the entire class. She had a weight in one hand,the phone in the other and talked loudly whilst doing the exercises! I thought that was extremely rude as we couldn't hear the instructor.

thebody Wed 03-Jul-13 10:46:38

Oh for fucks sake.

It's yes rude to be talking and texting when out with a friend and ignoring them. Everyone knows that so stop banging on about it. Totally different debate and not relevant to the op.

It isn't ' incredibly rude' to pay at a till, take a phone call, smile at operator and say thanks.

Again I suspect shops/ banks dislike customers NOT giving them full attention because it drops them from trying to sell bloody club cards or insurance you don't want / need.

That's 'incredibly rude' especially in BHS when you say no and they say 'are you sure?'

dreamingofsun Wed 03-Jul-13 10:47:29

i don't see that me talking on a phone is any different to a checkout person talking to their colleague on the till next door whilst they serve me. at the end of the day i want to be served and i'm the customer - i'm not looking for a relationship with the check-out person.

work calls can be very important and you can't just hang up half way through so you don't upset the check-out person.

so what happens if you get a work call once you get to the head of the queue....you can't just hold the queue up whilst you take it.

its fine for all those that are just taking calls from mates....unfortunately life isn't like that for everyone.

EvieanneVolvic Wed 03-Jul-13 10:50:25

I may go against the grain here but I don't actually want a relationship with the till operator at ASDA when I pay. I just want to pack and go and if I get a call then I take it. I can perfectly well multi task and say thanks and smile at operator while in my phone anyway.

I disagree with this obn a couple of counts: firstly it's damned irritating and disrespectful to the cashier and secondly I'm sorry but I don't care how much attention you think you are paying and how good you think you are at multitasking, you will inevitably be going slower (possibly only suing one hand for one thing) and it has been said here and I have witnessed it a LOT of times that the cashier has asked something (eg cashback) which the talker has missed.

EvieanneVolvic Wed 03-Jul-13 10:53:33

i don't see that me talking on a phone is any different to a checkout person talking to their colleague on the till next door whilst they serve me.

Correct: I hate that too! And ironically ime Sainsburys are the worst offenders!

ShabbyButNotChic Wed 03-Jul-13 10:56:56

school govener i didnt make anyone wait actually, i carries on packing with the phone wedged in my shoulder, said please and thank you, smiled etc. i dont want to be bff's with the cashier, i do the pleasantries and still did. Its not like i held up a queue or anything.

I'm with you.

I saw this in the papers. I couldn't believe how upset the woman seemed to be, and how normal she thought it was to just continue your phone call.

I'm disappointed in Sainsburys, as they should have backed their staff member. Being on your phone is rude and very unnecessary for the few minutes it takes to get served - especially as the staff are taught to ask questions such as cashback and help with packing.

Also the staff member didn't refuse to serve her, just told her she was waiting till she was off the phone.

Unfortunately, it is something more prevelant than you would think. I haven't worked in shops for 10 years, but remember it happening back then! Such bad manners.

Inkblinkandmustard Wed 03-Jul-13 11:01:03

I'm a GP - have once had a patient take a phone call and chat away whilst I was examining her and doing a smear - v odd.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now