to be eating pickled onion monster munch at 35?

(70 Posts)

so my mum and I have this discussion going on.
I love mm,skips,flumps,flying saucers etc.
basically all the treats I liked when I was a kid but mother thinks it looks uncivilised for a grown woman to be eating these sorts of things.
she says I should have evolved to kettle chips,plain tortillas and thornton choccies.
I think bollocks.
so what do you all think?
and do any of you still happily consume'childish'snacks?
what is your favourite?

electric.what is stottie cake?

5madthings Wed 03-Jul-13 07:46:51

Nice and spicy niknakss and the fishy flacoured ones they do....

YANBU. I stock up on monster munch, midget gems and lots of other childhood treats when I go to England.

I am currently eating smarties. For breakfast. Because I can. Because I am a grown up grin and the kids are still in bed

ElectricSoftParade Wed 03-Jul-13 07:49:33

Haha! Was just googling to find a recipe and am going to have a go at making some. I now need a MM and stottie sandwich.

^From the Ocado site:

Not really cakes at all, but rather breads originating from north-east England.

Good with sweet or savoury fillings; split through the middle and spread with your favourite.

Leftovers can be made into breadcrumbs for stuffings or toppings. They are also great for making bread and butter pudding.^

They are a bit like Focaccia but without any added extras. Lovely!

Why are kettle crisps grown up? They are just really really greasy crisps with a stupid price tag.

FreudiansSlipper Wed 03-Jul-13 07:49:45

I love cadburys animal bars and wotsits sandwiches are delicious

Tortilla chips are horrible well the ones you buy in packets are

Does anyone know if they still sell Trio's

XBenedict Wed 03-Jul-13 07:49:46

Not unreasonable at all however if you'd said it was the roast beef flavour I might have had a different answer bleurgh!

Nice n spicy NikNaks for me and I'm 42

luxemburgerli Wed 03-Jul-13 07:50:01

YANBU at all, eat what makes you happy. A quick question though, I moved away from the UK years ago and when I went back to visit I couldn't find any beef flavoured monster munch! They were the best... don't they exist any more?

sounds good.
if its full of carbs then thats ok by me.
potato cakes toasted with lashings of butter.
can anyone remember little bacon flavoured crisps in the shapes of pigs?
they were hollow and light and flakey.
gorgeous.

YANBU at all....Pickled Onion Monster Munch are LUUUUUSH

I love sour stuff too, and Haribo etc.

I used to love super sour Chewits and Fruitang...can you still get them?

raisah Wed 03-Jul-13 07:55:51

I love pickled onion monster munch! LOVELY

MyNameIsLola Wed 03-Jul-13 08:02:01

YADNBU!

I love MM, Tomato Snaps and Tangy Toms.

Sweets wise, I can't get enough Refreshers, skittles, M&Ms and ice pops!

yep you can still get beef monsters and sour chewits.not sure about fruiting.
on the other hand I used to love wham bars but had one a while ago and it was vile.

Oooh oohh ohhhhhh!!! I've just remembered Irn Bru bars....now THEY were outstanding! Haven't seen one for years.

crashdoll Wed 03-Jul-13 08:14:38

If she says that again, breathe your pickled onion breath all over her! I love all those sorts of crisps. My faves are wotsits, skips and nik naks. <wanders off in search of crisps>

KatoPotato Wed 03-Jul-13 08:15:10

You're all so classy! It's Johnny's Onion Rings for me every time!

cathpip Wed 03-Jul-13 08:23:45

Fish finger butties, refreshers, and definitely pickled onion monster munch. My dh bought me posh chocies from Harvey Nicks once, I didNt have the heart to tell him that they weren't a patch on cadburys smile

fish and chips with the newspaper print packet.
cant get them anymore.

TheMoonOnAStick Wed 03-Jul-13 08:26:37

I have always LOVED Wotsits. I've tried to excuse buying them by saying they're for dc but they don't like them much so I think I'm going to have to admit they're for me.

I also love Angel Delight. Dc do like it but a made up packet is really only enough for them and I'm left scraping the bowl.

For sweeties it's Jazzies all the way. Dd discovered they now make giant sized Jazzies. Heavensmile Jazzies on top of Angel Delight - now thats a pudding.

wonderingsoul Wed 03-Jul-13 08:27:09

ynbu

my dad is 65 and his favourite sweets are still flying saucers, he has found memories of them as a child. think ill buy him some today.

yy to pickled onion momster munch, they are my favourites.

i still love frumps..only the proper ones though... the non offically frumps are given to the kids [winks]

Trills Wed 03-Jul-13 08:30:20

YAB ridiculous to think that there is a link between age and reasonableness and your choice of snack.

Cheeseatmidnight Wed 03-Jul-13 08:31:38

I ate a bag at midnight last night!

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Wed 03-Jul-13 08:32:20

sherbet fountains, that's my contribution grin

Tailtwister Wed 03-Jul-13 08:36:55

Does anyone remember sweets called fizz bombs? They were my favourite, but I've never seen them around since.

Pickled onion monster munch...yum.

you can still get fizz bombs I think.
didn't they come individualy wrapped but in rows and you just tore off the amount you wanted?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now