Text

(34 Posts)
LongDeadMotherofHorrors Tue 02-Jul-13 20:59:01

Noun - text
Verb - to text
Conjugation of verb in past: "she texted me", not "she text me"

SmiteYouWithThunderbolts Tue 02-Jul-13 21:02:42

I agree with that in theory but it just sounds wrong. I play it safe with "she sent me a text".

Hardhaton Tue 02-Jul-13 21:02:47

What's your point?

Bowlersarm Tue 02-Jul-13 21:08:16

It doesn't matter. It's a new word/phrase adopted by the young essentially and filtering through to the old, and actually I think it's ok to say it however you would like to. Especially when texting itself entirely consists of abbreviations, letters missing, in fact, a totally different way of communicating than ever before.

LongDeadMotherofHorrors Tue 02-Jul-13 21:08:46

Smite - good solution. Just wordier.
Hardh - that it is inconsistent with all other verb rules and I don't understand why people do it. It just takes a few extra letters in speech and it sounds really odd - "so and so just text me"

AmyFarrahFowlerCooper Tue 02-Jul-13 21:09:29

Doesn't bother me half as much as people who receive "textses". Its texts, people!

LongDeadMotherofHorrors Tue 02-Jul-13 21:13:22

Hilarious - I've never seen "textses" before! Bit like "waspses", only less appealing...

Bowlersarm - sorry, you may be right, but the pedant in me will not die lying down!

cardibach Tue 02-Jul-13 21:13:29

Long, there are other irregular verbs, though, so I don't think you can use the 'verb rules' argument. The verb 'to text' is a new one (arguably we should say she wrote/sent me a text - text has always been a noun previously), a real example of living language, so you can't really prescribe it's conjugation! With you on the 'textses' though, Amy

LuisSuarezTeeth Tue 02-Jul-13 21:16:11

You appear to be in the wrong topic. I text you earlier about this.

LongDeadMotherofHorrors Tue 02-Jul-13 21:23:08

Cardi - fair point, though if we are going to acknowledge it as a verb it should follow some some convention

LuisSu - you are very wicked!

StuntGirl Tue 02-Jul-13 21:28:11

Texted sounds all flavours of wrong.

Text is fine.

Textses needs to be obliterated from the English language <shudder>

everlong Tue 02-Jul-13 21:29:58

Meh.

I always ' she text me '

Texted sounds wrong. Sorry.

Letticetheslug Tue 02-Jul-13 21:31:32

"she text me" is wrong, but then I am an old fuddy duddy...

Heartbrokenmum73 Tue 02-Jul-13 21:32:37

I've actually heard people say that they've topped up their phone and now have free 'texties' for the weekend - wtf is that all about?

everlong Tue 02-Jul-13 21:35:34

I know it's wrong.

I don't care smile

PelvicFloorClenchReminder Tue 02-Jul-13 21:36:58

They all sound hideous <shudder>

I either send a telegram or a pigeon, and whilst waiting for a reply, I grumble into my chin about new fangled contraptions.

It is perfectly acceptable, by the way, to remove limbs from anyone says "textses".

LongDeadMotherofHorrors Tue 02-Jul-13 21:38:00

Here's a thought:
To message: new verb

Parallel usage:
"She message me?" Nope.

Now let's extend the distortions further, as has happened with textting wink:

Messageses
Messagies

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Tue 02-Jul-13 21:40:41

Pedants corner >>>>>

LongDeadMotherofHorrors Tue 02-Jul-13 21:40:46

PelvicFloor - frankly it's astonishing you ever discovered the WWW - or are you accessing Mumsnet by witchcraft? PS I'm guessing you've got a pile of limbs outside your back door - yes? grin

LongDeadMotherofHorrors Tue 02-Jul-13 21:41:18

Chipping - hi ho, >>>>>>>bye then!

Ifcatshadthumbs Tue 02-Jul-13 21:41:55

Texted sounds wrong. Like a three year old saying "she hitted me"

LauraRoslin Tue 02-Jul-13 21:42:41

I would always use "texted".

HoHoHoNoYouDont Tue 02-Jul-13 21:44:34

When you say texted quickly it almost makes the -ed silent therefore making it kind of acceptable.

That's what I'm going to keep telling myself.

PelvicFloorClenchReminder Tue 02-Jul-13 21:45:27

My presence here is something of a luddite paradox, yes grin

Viviennemary Tue 02-Jul-13 21:51:42

I don't do text messages. Somebody showed me but it seemed like too much effort. If you send a letter you don't say you've lettered somebody. I hate these invented verbs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now