Babysitting teenagers

(62 Posts)
madasa Tue 02-Jul-13 20:24:24

My sister has just text me to say could I let her know when I am free to babysit my niece and nephew as she needs a night out.

They are 12 and 15 years old! AIBU to think they are old enough to look after themselves?

I am happy to do anything for her but this seems a little bit strange confused

lola88 Tue 02-Jul-13 22:46:50

additional needs is obviously a different thing but since the op never mentioned that which I sure she would have had it applied i'm assuming that there are no additional needs in this case.

I stand by what I said 15 is almost an adult if they can't be in charge of a sibling for a few hours they are going to struggle when real life hits in a few years maybe sooner.

MummytoKatie Tue 02-Jul-13 23:05:51

When I was 15 I babysat a lot. Including for one pair of siblings where the older one (a girl) was in the year below me at school.

Neither of them had any additional needs as far as I know. (Grew up in a very small town where everyone knows everyone else's business.)

I think I was there to referee as they wound each other up like mad.

BackforGood Tue 02-Jul-13 23:09:06

I will leave my 14 yr old with my 11 yr old - would be quite concerned about 'why not' if she can't leave a 15 and 12 yr old tbh.
If she won't go without though, I was going to suggest inviting them over to yours - might not be such an obvious 'babysit'

lustybusty Tue 02-Jul-13 23:17:28

mummytokatie aside from the small town bit you could've been my "referee"!!

exoticfruits Wed 03-Jul-13 07:40:39

I always wonder what those with the 'irresponsible' children are doing to train them to be responsible? It always strikes me that they just write them off as 'irresponsible' and the situation is never resolved.

My 15 year old used to look after my 12 year old while I worked nights 4 nights a week, but they get on ok -when no one else is around anyway- I can see not leaving them if they are going to kill each other.

IneedAsockamnesty Wed 03-Jul-13 08:43:33

Perhaps she left them a few days ago for a few hours and they messed up fighting or causing a noise problem and she does not wish to risk it again so soon.

chocciebickie Wed 03-Jul-13 08:56:35

I was asked to "babysit" my friends 15 and 17 year old girls! Total madness grin I think at 12 and 15 they'd be fine while your sister had an evening out...you have to trust them a bit at that age surely and if your sister isn't far away and has her mobile I can't see a problem.

LongDeadMotherofHorrors Wed 03-Jul-13 13:48:38

Cory - I apologise for being flippant. blush

cory Wed 03-Jul-13 14:02:43

Are you on the right thread, Mother? confused

LongDeadMotherofHorrors Wed 03-Jul-13 18:20:35

Cory

I refer you to :
Me:
"Cory - your 11 yo sounds like the daughter character in AbFab!"

You:
"It was actually my ds. And I have to say I was very glad it was him in charge and not my dad who panics and gets flustered and makes everybody around him nervous."

I was worried that I had caused offence.

sonatensatz Wed 03-Jul-13 18:53:14

I think it depends on the teenagers. When I was that age I would have been very happy for someone to come round and be in the house with me. I was fine to be at home alone during the day but once it was dark I was terrified. I used to close all the doors and curtains and then sit on the front room window sill shaking with fear until my parents came home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now