No class trip

(48 Posts)
MildlyMiserable Tue 02-Jul-13 16:24:36

AIBU to have emailed the school and asked why not?
I approached the teacher today to ask when/where to be told there was no class trip and she doesn't know why.
I feel conned, we have bake sales for each class every half term and were told these go toward class outings. The last sale was 2 Fridays ago, I supplied and my parents bought - as we always do. The newsletter was very specific that proceeds would go towards the class trip.
I have emailed asking the office if they could enlighten me, why there is no trip and if the trip/money raised will be carried over to next year.
AIBU to thnk if I put the effort in when asked, why can't they?
Sorry to write and run, am cross and late for swimming - argh!

MildlyMiserable Thu 04-Jul-13 20:21:01

I spoke to the office this morning, they acknowledged receipt of my email and not responding, a trip has now been booked, a museum in town, travel by tube.
The explanation for not booking any earlier is that the school is very busy in July. I shall now let the matter lie.
Thanks for all your responses (I know the money issue was not answered but am assuming this covers the travel for adults accompanying the class).

Vivacia Thu 04-Jul-13 06:51:46

Yes, that's well-explained. To make it clear to the school then, I feel you should be careful to ask about the money raised rather than a trip otherwise you run the risk of sounding as though you feel you're owed a trip.

MildlyMiserable Wed 03-Jul-13 23:19:14

Thanks Vix a much more succinct answer.

VixZenFenchell Wed 03-Jul-13 23:09:24

Vivacia I think the two questions 1) where is the money and 2) why no trip are one and the same thing.

Because the premise behind the fund raising was to raise money for a trip, asking why there is now no trip is tantamount to asking where the money is. Alternatively, asking where the money has gone is tantamount to asking "why no trip, given we've raised money for it?" There is no sense of entitlement for a trip per se, just the trip that they were given to understand they were fund raising for.

MildlyMiserable Wed 03-Jul-13 23:05:36

Vivacia I agree that they owe an explanation as to where the money is. I don't agree they should ask us to raise funds for a trip and then not explain why there isn't one.

Vivacia Wed 03-Jul-13 22:17:10

As ive already said, the school owe you an explanation where the money is. They do not, in my opinion, owe you an explanation as to why there's no trip.

MildlyMiserable Wed 03-Jul-13 21:14:01

sense of entitlement we were asked to bake goods for the sales to raise money for the trips, I baked the goods and bought others, upholding my end of the agreement, just wanting to know when they will be doing the same.
All of the other years are having trips - funded by their respective sales - I just want to know why our class isn't and what will happen to the funds we raised.
I haven't told my DS that I am asking about the trip, no sense in raising expectations, I will approach the HT on Friday if I don't get any joy tomorrow.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 03-Jul-13 20:43:14

sense of entitlement for asking where the fruits of fundraising went to?

primroseyellow Wed 03-Jul-13 20:38:32

1.Class trips are usually organised/initiated by the class teacher so her reply is dubious.
2.It is not acceptable to have children and parents raising money for a non-existent trip.
3.Without raising expectations of DC you could collect copies of all the relevant emails/letters and take them to the HT and simply demand to know exactly what the money is being used for....
And then write to the chair of governors if not satisfied with the response .... but if the HT has any sense and you tell them this is what you intend to do you may find a trip suddently materialises.....

Vivacia Wed 03-Jul-13 20:34:42

Wow, I'm amazed at the sense of entitlement here. Makes you wonder why people go in to teaching.

The only thing you are being reasonable about is asking where the fund raising monies have gone.

TheCutOfYourJib Wed 03-Jul-13 20:28:50

Our reception class have been on 2 this year, 1 to the theatre and 1 to a sea life type place. Both trips cost about £8. We only do the occasional bun sale.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 03-Jul-13 19:59:38

Does it even have to be a trip? Surely the point of it would be amusement or novelty, the money needn't be spent on chartering a coach or expensive tickets for something, couldn't there be some kind of entertainment? <sorry, not volunteering, racks brain>.

ComposHat Wed 03-Jul-13 19:21:49

When we were at school, we never went on trips after the metalwork teacher was alleged to have bummed a tramp in the bus station on a previous trip.

It dogged him for 25 years he was employed at the school.

MildlyMiserable Wed 03-Jul-13 19:04:28

No response to the email, I might try the office in the morning and ask them to respond.
Maybe they think if thye dont snswer I will forget and go away, not this time, bit firmly between my teeth.

englishteacher78 Wed 03-Jul-13 17:48:02

@stardust how bizarre! I prefer to get emails. And reply as quickly people.

ThedementedPenguin Wed 03-Jul-13 09:56:02

I think captain meant our not your. Meaning they have to pay for each trip for their child instead of fundraising.

At least that's what I think was meant.

MadeOfStarDust Wed 03-Jul-13 09:48:55

we would have to wait for a cold day in hell to get a response to an email from school..... so don't hold your breath waiting

Our school policy is they will respond to enquiries made in writing only.... my friend did ask if it had to be with a goosefeather quill, or would biro do....

MiaowTheCat Wed 03-Jul-13 09:06:31

Coach costs are ridiculous and you're usually tied to them doing their school run contracts before and after your school trip - so you won't get a pickup earlier than 9.30 and a drop off later than about 2.30 unless you really really really pay through the nose for it. Always really annoyed me since it made the actual "trip" day ridiculously short.

NotSoSpecial Wed 03-Jul-13 08:51:41

There might be other reasons for no trip, such as lack of available staff with first aid training.

englishteacher78 Wed 03-Jul-13 08:17:38

The coach probably did cost that much. From where I am (commutable distance 50 train minutes) the coach to London costs at least £25 a head! Transport costs for school trips are shocking!

Certainly round here children over 5 are not free on public transport. (exception being one child accompanied by a paying adult on the park and ride bus!)
Have the school replied to your email yet OP? They should at least explain where the money has gone, although there is probably a perfectly reasonable explaination. We were asked to pay £8.50 for our year 4 DC's to go to a Medieval house, for the morning, and it was free to get in. It was only a few miles away from the school. We, the parents, thought that it was far too expensive for what they would get, basically a 15 minute coach ride there and back and less than 2 hours at the house (leaving at 9.30 and back before 12), so we refused to pay. The school refused to put any more trips on for that age group sad. They never had another school trip.

MildlyMiserable Wed 03-Jul-13 07:37:00

trinity primary aged children do - visitorshop.tfl.gov.uk/help-centre/travelling-with-children.html
captain the trips we have been on have been free or paid for by the parents. If you mean "we the tax payer" well I'm glad mine is being spent giving children an educational day out.
The trip I'm talking about not having is one we have raised funds for.

englishteacher78 Wed 03-Jul-13 07:25:25

It is also now the case that trips are meant to cover the cost of teacher cover (probably not as big an issue at primary).
We now go on far fewer theatre trips to London than we used to as the travel costs just make it not as viable. It more than doubles the cost of the trip. We try and go to things at the local theatre - we can walk the students there. And they give us free accompanying teacher tickets.

CaptainSweatPants Wed 03-Jul-13 06:51:54

We have to pay for all your trips sad

trinity0097 Wed 03-Jul-13 06:38:43

Non London children do not get free travel in London.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now