Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To Think Accidental Pregnancy Does Exist?

(160 Posts)

Just had a very bizarre conversation with mother collecting DDs friend.

I won't list of the exact details of the conversation, but on discussing a certain topic it came to light that she doesn't believe anyone accidentally gets pregnant.

I informed her it bloody well does, I've 3 of my 5 DC as evidence. She then scoffed at this and gave me a wink before walking off with her DD.

She used the sentence, "everyone knows accidents are bullshit, people never buy that excuse". Is this true? Or have I been bullshitting my way through the past 20 years without realising.

I feel quite annoyed that she implied I was lying. I'm a confrontational person but as this is DD's new friend I was trying to keep it under control.

AIBU to think its pretty fucking obvious, especially to those with a child or just basic sex education, how one might become pregnant by accident?

gindrinker Wed 03-Jul-13 20:52:19

I think there are accidents and 'accidents'.
If you get pregnant with the implant/IUD/ injection, then you've taken reasonable precautions and getting pregnant although possible isn't very likely. Classed as an accident.
Taking the pill irregularly, using condoms badly etc is taking your life in your own hands.
Not using contraception and chancing it is just irresponsible or trying to have a baby without actually discussing it. Laws of averages state that you'll loose the game at some point.

Then there are the loons who stop taking the pill/stab holes in condoms is play the 'accident card'

I'm 29 and I've never had a scare let alone take a pregnancy test to rule it out.

KobayashiMaru Wed 03-Jul-13 20:59:46

Of course there are accidents, but the vast majority are human error, not true contraceptive failures. Once you've had one accidental pregnancy, you need to get a bit more careful. After two, you're going to get a raised eyebrow or two, unsurprisingly.

Namechanger012345 Wed 03-Jul-13 23:47:37

Getting pregnant while using condoms or the pill doesn't automatically mean you have committed some kind of "user error" and done something incorrectly. Just annoyed by some of the suggestions that people who get pregnant while using these methods are somehow just being sloppy and careless angry I think I'm taking some of these comments overly personally but I recently had a completely accidental pregnancy while using condoms and I was not being careless. I wonder if it was one of those far fetched scenarios with a bit of sperm on a finger or something as mentioned above. Certainly there was no breakage or any noticeable failure. In the end I decided to have an abortion and it was a really really horrible time. I would hate to think anyone thinks I brought this all on by my own sloppiness because I didn't.

courgetteDOTcom Thu 04-Jul-13 00:05:08

No contraception is 100% used perfectly.

Did anyone read a few years who the couple who had both been sterilised several times? I've also heard one that got pregnant and carried after a hysterectomy, sex the night before the op and implanted inside her. Usually those aren't viable but it landed somewhere safe.

TheDoctrineOfAllan Thu 04-Jul-13 00:06:54

Gin, KobayashiMaru (have you read the book of that name too?) - some couples are more fertile than others though, so we might all be having accidents all the time eg sperm on the outside of the condom, a duff pill that missed having any hormone in it or whatever BUT we are lucky in that sperm didn't happen to meet egg.

Have friends who had to have fairly extensive medical intervention to have their first then got pregnant with their second after one condom free shag. Not an accident per se but unexpected (and luckily welcome, if shocking at first).

TheDoctrineOfAllan Thu 04-Jul-13 00:07:57

Namechanger, that's sad, sorry that happened.

Mamagiraffe Mon 08-Jul-13 03:43:45

9 months ago me and my (supposedly infertile) husband (as he is now) had a condom break and took the morning after pill (you can see where this is going can't you? ;-)) ... I type this on my phone in bed next to hewhosnoresalot whilst I'm pretty sure I'm in the early stages of labour!

kickassangel Mon 08-Jul-13 04:45:11

I think that there are real accidents, where all sensible precautions have been taken, and only complete abstinence could be safer.

However, I have also heard of a LOT of 'accidents' which were carelessness. I have also heard people say they had a car accident when they are clearly feckless. I think some people are just better at accepting responsibility than others.

So I can understand someone being skeptical about accidents, but it is still rude to say it to someone.

Just as an aside, why is it so often the women who get frowned upon for getting pregnant? I'm assuming there was a man around somewhere for the accident to happen.

Reading the adoption pages of monkeyworld... Some of the monkeys born in monkey world were the result of contraception failure!

CuppaSarah Mon 08-Jul-13 13:38:17

DD wasn't an accident, but we weren't actually ttc. We discussed the possibility of children. Decided it was something we did both want, but we also weren't in such a rush we were going to get onto ttc. We started using early withdrawal and natural rhythming, knowing it was always a possibility.

But we tell people she was a lovely accident because it's much shorter to explain and people aren't really that interested.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now