to think Chinese Lanterns should be banned

(161 Posts)
Bimbledorf Mon 01-Jul-13 10:10:28

dangerous

As beautiful as they are, Chinese Lanterns are the cause of many fires every year; today they are the cause of the above... Why are we still allowed to use them?

BlessedDespair Tue 02-Jul-13 10:32:27

I don't think they should be banned but I do think that the solar powered ones should be the only ones available so you couldn't send them flying off to land in my horses field smile

How would/do solar powered ones work?

kotinka Tue 02-Jul-13 10:35:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I've got a rose called remember me in my garden for my grandad. It's the same type as he has at the crem.

I've had a quick glance to see how else balloons can be lifted without heat or helium. The safest gas seems to be ammonia (has been used to lift weather balloons) but I dont know how practical it would be for inflating childrens balloons and once it absorbs moisture apparently the result can be quite corrosive (not a chemist!)

MadeOfStarDust Tue 02-Jul-13 11:45:40

The solar powered ones are ones you hang up in a tree or in a garden - they do not float off.....

aha!! that makes a lot of sense!!!

littlecrystal Wed 15-Jan-14 14:23:34

Lifting a zombie thread but just wanted to say honestly I did not know about the danger of sky lanterns before reading this thread. I just thought they will finish burning up high in the sky and dissapear to ash.
I never knew that it falls to the ground still burning and can set a fire.

Thanks for pointing out before I bought it for use.

MakingEveryDayCount Wed 15-Jan-14 15:20:52

I know it's a zombie thread too before anyone points it out, but just wanted to say I've never seen the appeal of them either as they've always struck me as being highly dangerous.
The first time I had heard of them was when a friend set one off for her wedding, and even though it was the first time I'd known about then I; was still confused as to on what planet the person who was on who originally dreamt the idea up!
Setting a candle alight and sending it off to drift in a paper lantern?! Yes, can't see that going wrong! hmm (sarcastic)
You've no control over them once you've let go, and no idea where they'll come down.
Moronic in my opinion.

blahblahblah2014 Wed 15-Jan-14 15:35:18

So what should i do with teh pack of 5 I just bought from the pound shop.......mmmmmmm

TheBigJessie Wed 15-Jan-14 15:55:12

blahblah Recycle, bin, use as evidence of how their sale needs to be regulated in a letter to your MP?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now