Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Would you be paranoid about this man with a camera?

(79 Posts)
NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 01-Jul-13 09:12:05

DH rides our DDs to school...it's 3 miles, they are 8 and 5. The route is along a rural cycle track...very picturesque. Towards the end of the journey today, he said there was a man on the track...with a dog and a camera.

As DH approached with DDs, the man said "I'm just taking picturs of the park" and as DH and DDs passed, DH said he thought the man took a photo of them.

Is that odd? Or is DH paranoid>? He feels he should have said something...but what? I just called him as I often do to see how the ride went...

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Mon 01-Jul-13 13:35:09

BrokenBanana - He could have been taking pictures for an article, or brochure or anything really. Just out of interest - how do you know that he definitely wasn't from the council?

RunRabbit Mon 01-Jul-13 13:43:26

No words for such nonsense biscuit

LtEveDallas Mon 01-Jul-13 13:43:26

They have banned parental recordings because we have a child who is on a child protection order so it needs to be confidential

Thats a good thing, sad for other parents, but it is the right thing for the school to do to protect a child.

It does annoy me when 'no cameras' are used in a blanket scenario though.

DD was in a dance show this weekend. I took a couple of photos of her with my phone, and started to take a video when she was doing her solo.

One of the theatre staff told me to stop. I asked why and she said that cameras and videos weren't allowed.

I asked why and she said "well isn't that obvious?" really sarcastically.

I said no, and asked who the woman at the front with the zoom lense was then, seeing as she had taken a number of shots of MY daughter.

She said she was a member of staff and that the shots were going to be used as promotional material and also sold to parents. She said that everyone taking part had given permission for photos to be taken.

So I just stood there smiling and waiting for the penny to drop....

Unfortunately by the time it did I was too late to film DD and the woman just hurried off after saying "thats different" grin

I dodn't really care that much - I've probably got hours of videos of DD dancing, but that woman did make me chuckle grin

BrokenBanana Mon 01-Jul-13 18:31:45

I would have been a bit hmm if it was a woman as well, I'm perfectly aware that not all paedos are male. I say he wasn't working for the council as a lot of my family work for the council and have had a lot of involvement with the squirty things, I asked them if any photos were taking place that day and they said no. Also he was taking them on a normal phone, no professional would do that.

Maybe he was just happy to see all the children having so much fun and wanted a reminder, who knows. I don't have a problem with people taking photos of children, we've also had quite a few Japanese tourists asking to take pictures of us. I just thought if you were randomly taking pictures of half naked children that are not yours you should really ask the parents permission, otherwise it's a bit weird. Don't you think?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now