Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To go on strike

(55 Posts)
LuisSuarezTeeth Mon 01-Jul-13 06:04:05

This will be long and have some people frothing - apologies on both counts.

I work full time, usually 12 hour days (carer)
DP does not (is looking)
We have 3 DC - DS15, DSS8 and DSS5

I do:

All shopping, cooking, cleaning, admin, homework, ironing, loading dishwasher. I do mean ALL OF IT.

DP does:

Grass cutting
Walk dog
Occasional laundry
Dishwasher 2-3 times a week

Example, yesterday. I got up at 6am, work at 7am. Returned at 6.30pm. Kitchen a bomb site, no tidying done, kids uniform not ready, homework not done, kids tea not made. I put shopping away, make tea, do homework.

By 9pm kids asleep, make food for DS. Too tired to eat myself, DP asks what's for dinner. By now I have loaded dishwasher/unloaded twice. Made packed lunches, emptied bins, folded laundry. When I got in, DP was on lap top. At 9.30pm I walk the dog. I go to bed. Have been up all night with raging toothache.

Well I HAVE HAD ENOUGH!

I am going on strike, quite literally. Has anyone else done this? I am fucking knackered, pissed off and he is an arse.

AIBU? Will the children suffer?

LuisSuarezTeeth Tue 02-Jul-13 15:32:22

[crinkle] it gets me nowhere

Crinkle77 Tue 02-Jul-13 15:10:53

What? Kick his arse.

LuisSuarezTeeth Tue 02-Jul-13 08:41:35

EWO, not OWO hmm

LuisSuarezTeeth Tue 02-Jul-13 08:40:24

Thanks toad.

It's my day off today and I have to take DP to a course and wait for him (I know, I know) it's a back to work thing. I am going to use the 2 hour wait to write a plan, so if anyone has ideas for a rota or schedule please post and thanks to those that have already.

I guess I'm now thinking part strike, part chore list. Am also negotiating with DS school re part time home ed, so he will need a timetable as well.

To completely fill my day off I have a visit from the OWO this afternoon. Positive, but could just do with a rest!

Perhaps going on strike will help ease your DP's depression - if it forces him to get off his arse and get busy, and realise that his contribution (or lack thereof) to running the household actually matters .

Good luck.

LuisSuarezTeeth Tue 02-Jul-13 05:23:41

Sounds sensible Crazykat. I'm all at sea now in terms of what to do.

Even though I am living it, I find it hard to believe reading through this thread! I think because I feel unwell I am unwilling to create conflict. I went to an emergency call last night, got back about 10pm and still wasn't offered so much as a coffee.

Not sleeping at all well either sad

I think you are all right about making a list - although that is annoying in itself because its another job to do (though a trivial point).

crazykat Tue 02-Jul-13 02:30:34

Definitely go on strike. Though keep up with the admin so bills get paid and do an online shop but make sure there's things for easy meals eg pasta mince pizza hot dogs vegetables fruit salad and so on. Make the younger two lunch.

TBH I do everything you do but I don't work and DH does. I can't believe he sits there while you do everything. It would be different if you both worked, then it should be split according to who's home at what time. Given you're the only one working you should be doing less than what your DP currently does.

Try making up a list of what needs doing, one for every day and divide up jobs between DP and DSs. Your oldest should be capable of getting homework done, clean & tidy his room, walk the dogs and make packed lunches.

Even the youngest can tidy his room by himself. Having a set list of what needs doing by DP including what to cook DSs for dinner stops the " I didn't know what you were doing " excuse.

Ideally you should be doing admin (if DP is hopeless as is my DH), cleaning the bath after you use it, load dishwasher few times a week and listening to younger boys read when you're not working.

Maybe try the jobs list idea and tell them if they don't stick to it you'll go on strike then do it.

I know having a list helps me as sometimes I don't feel like doing it as I hate housework. It gives a sense of accomplishment being able to tick off jobs.

LuisSuarezTeeth Tue 02-Jul-13 01:37:34

Oops smile

LuisSuarezTeeth Tue 02-Jul-13 01:36:57

You are likely right SM 😄

scottishmummy Mon 01-Jul-13 22:30:08

Yes,of course things are incremental and it creeps up and becomes habit
Much as you look after them,you too need some TLC,Would a cards on table discussion help?
I don't think token big gestures like strike are answer,a straight talk is,good luck

LuisSuarezTeeth Mon 01-Jul-13 22:26:52

I don't really know how it happened tbh. Life has been so full of other shite I suppose it has crept up on me. It's difficult to know on the depression side. He has a referral for looking into Aspergers and certainly exhibits many traits, plus the boys are possibly on the autistic spectrum. I think there is a lack of empathy but also laziness and complacency.

scottishmummy Mon 01-Jul-13 19:53:57

That's a punishing schedule no wonder you're done in
How comes it all became your responsibility,how come he does minimum
Yes something needs to change in your over accommodating

Pilgit Mon 01-Jul-13 19:53:29

Is DH getting help for his depression? To get through depression you need the three T's - tablets, talking and time. If you only employ one you will not get through it (I talk from experience here). I have had many years of therapy and practice but in a depressive episode I can now function by employing certain rules for my life: the TV goes off at 9am and does not go back on before 5. I have to be washed and dressed before 9. Chores are done first - everything has a place and everything in its place so getting things back is quick and easy. Chores are timetabled -i.e on X day, Y gets done etc. I keep lists and knock things off my list. I get out and do some physical exercise every day - usually running around after DD or gardening (ridiculous jungle out there so lots of heavy lifting to do). I am not allowed to sit in my evening spot on the sofa during the day. I get out of the house every day. It sounds like he is where I was at the beginning and is rudderless in this mire of depression - of course he could just be a lazy shite but the two things look very similar from the outside. Only you can determine which he is. The answer will depend on how much he is doing to 'heal' himself.

It is hideously hard for you. Supporting someone with depression is a hideous and thankless task for a lot of the time. You are totally justified in feeling unsupported and frustrated - oh and knackered!

LuisSuarezTeeth Mon 01-Jul-13 19:45:59

Thanks for all the suggestions. Fwiw I am also on ADs as it has all taken its toll on me, together with under active thyroid. Maybe I have more/different motivation?

I think I have to react calmly, whether its by talking or striking.

I wish I could get away but have no holiday to take.

sit everyone down for a 'family conference' tell them how you are feeling, do not listen to any arguments or ifs and buts, say you have something to discuss and that you will speak first with no interuption. when you have finished (keep it concise, to the point) ask what solutions they can offer. listen to suggestions and draw up a plan, for us it was specific tasks for everyone to share the workload. I still do more than the others but the difference is I don't feel like the skivvy anymore, they do pull their weight a lot more than they used to. i do need to remind folk occaisionally but generally the list is up and they get on with it in their own time. however taking the depression into account have a word with DP about why he feels you are nagging and establish if its because he can't motivate to help or is just too lazy / expecting you to do it all, once established try to support him in getting on with stuff and accept that it may be in his timescale ie: when he is having a good day, rather than in yours. good luck. I feel much more valued since we had this out and the family realised that they did take for granted that I would do everything.

hiddenhome Mon 01-Jul-13 18:21:50

No, don't go on strike. You need to talk to them first.

I've just been in bathroom strike and it didn't work. Six weeks of no cleaning and it just turned to crap. Fluff everywhere, weird stains, mess, smell, the lot sad Nobody touched it. I ended up by having to do it anyway because we were having visitors hmm

Sit them down and explain that things have to change. Being on antidepressants does not stop you from cleaning up either, that's just a cop out.

Dackyduddles Mon 01-Jul-13 17:47:12

Are you able to take some time off maybe? Visit a friend for a week? Say you're going to a friends and when you're back chores will be split. They have a week to cope alone so u don't have to.

I haven't time to finish but might be a way to start ?

I really think you do need to make a drastic change. Wishing u well x

Eyesunderarock Mon 01-Jul-13 17:47:09

That's why a written rota works, no nagging and a constant reminder or place where you can check what needs to be done. Short and simple, no more than three things a day on it.

Wibblypiglikesbananas Mon 01-Jul-13 17:42:28

Just to add, if he is very depressed then as PPs have said, he obviously isn't being lazy. But only you can gauge that and how this effects you/the knock on effects.

Wibblypiglikesbananas Mon 01-Jul-13 17:41:04

It sounds like your DP is taking advantage of you TBH. You work, do pretty much all of the household chores and have one DC, almost grown up. He does very little, has two younger children but you're their main provider and carer, and offer some sense of normality/consistency it seems.

What do you get out of your relationship?

SmiteYouWithThunderbolts Mon 01-Jul-13 17:39:43

How does your DP respond if you calmly try to ask him to pull his weight and pitch in with the housework? It stands to reason that if he's home all day and all the children are at school, he could get plenty done. It's not the same as a SAHM with a young baby, for example.

You say he's on ADs so I presume he suffers with depression. That can be pretty debilitating in itself. At my worst with it, I could not get off the sofa for 2 months (aside from loo visits and bathing)! I would see housework building up around me but I could not get up and deal with it no matter how much I wanted to. It's difficult to explain really. Anyway, I couldn't have coped with then-boyfriend coming home from work and being any level of snippy with me about how much I hadn't done, even though he would have been totally justified.

Perhaps I'm being too generous here and your DP is just a lazy arsehole, but on the off-chance that he really wishes he could do more and just can't because of the depression, try to approach it gently. I like the rota idea that someone suggested earlier. Break down all the tasks into manageable chunks and assign some to your DP, some to the kids and a small amount to you. Planning meals and pinning the menu to the fridge will make life easier for the boys with suspected ASD plus your partner then knows what to chuck in the oven when as opposed to waiting for you.

If after all that you're STILL running yourself ragged after everyone, you WNBU to LTB.

LuisSuarezTeeth Mon 01-Jul-13 17:22:18

Sounds very good to me. I wish I could get DP to listen, but every time I try I get told I am nagging. I think I am logical whereas he can see undercurrents or hidden meanings that just aren't there.

Eyesunderarock Mon 01-Jul-13 13:49:09

Sounds controlling written down like that, but it worked and has done so for years.

Eyesunderarock Mon 01-Jul-13 13:48:12

I set the rules and the lists and was explicit about what I saw everyone's role as being, and listened to the negotiations about who did what.
I began with the mindset that it was unfair that all the extras should be one person's problem, it's a shared house. OH and I were used to houseshares before we got married, and he was a SAHP when the children were small.
But I started early on and I didn't get cross. Our family runs on logic, so I presented a logical argument to OH and the children accepted that they could tidy and pair socks and such from being small.
Now we have 4 adults in the house, and the work is still shared. DD is back from uni and so has taken on the bathroom cleaning, selected ironing and bits of the garden.
Because it is fair and reasonable for the workload to be shared.

LuisSuarezTeeth Mon 01-Jul-13 13:20:33

Have you Eyes? What did you do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now