To hate it when people shorten the names of food?

(249 Posts)
muminthecity Sun 30-Jun-13 22:16:48

Strawbs is the worst one I've heard recently. Veg, spag bol and pots also set my teeth on edge. I don't mind so much when they are written down, it's when they're said out loud that I find it fills me with rage irritating. None of these are particularly difficult words to say so why? Why do it? Anyone else feel my pain, or am I just weird?

(In case anyone asks, I know it isn't the biggest problem in the world, and yes I do have better things to worry about wink.)

LilacPeony Sun 30-Jun-13 22:52:03

I don't mind toms. I say 'shrooms.

Annunziata Sun 30-Jun-13 22:52:59

Mozzarell. Guilty blush

pigletmania Sun 30-Jun-13 22:53:17

Tatties gets my teeth on edge

PelvicFloorClenchReminder Sun 30-Jun-13 22:54:33

Ah, good thing I would never, ever say that then

<whistles>

<cuddles limbs>

LilacPeony Sun 30-Jun-13 22:56:42

I don't like "spag bog." The others I don't mind. We call a cup of tea a "cuppie" in our house. You would hate us. grin

muminthecity Sun 30-Jun-13 22:57:41

Mozzarell? Seriously? Just add the bloody a on the end woman, it's only one extra letter! I think that might just beat strawbs as the WORST SHORTENING OF A WORD EVER!

BlackeyedSusan Sun 30-Jun-13 22:58:36

I say veggies. I blame mr bloom.

muminthecity Sun 30-Jun-13 22:59:12

Ooh cuppie is BAD.
<Adds Lilac to list of MNers I can never be friends with, along with Annunziata. grin

muminthecity Sun 30-Jun-13 22:59:29

>

LalyRawr Sun 30-Jun-13 23:01:33

Oh!

I once heard 'Mozzy' as a shortening of Mozzerella. Was very confused as to why they were putting Mosquitoes on their pizza, but then I realised and OH had to drag me away from the cheese aisle before I rammed them to death with my trolley.

mum can you email me that list when you're done? grin

BreconBeBuggered Sun 30-Jun-13 23:01:53

No, no, tatties is a proper word, piglet. It is. But I have never in my life heard somebody actually refer to potatoes as pots. Where does this happen?

Annunziata Sun 30-Jun-13 23:04:04

<shame>

It's the way my mum pronounces it!

UnrequitedSkink Sun 30-Jun-13 23:04:30

LalyRawr, you made me snort my glass of vino all over the keyboard grin

burberryqueen Sun 30-Jun-13 23:05:05

tatties = tatws which is the Welsh for potatoes and that was the language of the islands once upon a time......

Elderflowergranita Sun 30-Jun-13 23:05:32

What are jacket potatoes? Are they baked potatoes? <Not a UK resident>

I find the term 'jacket potatoes' offensive, let alone 'jackets' <shudder>.

gallifrey Sun 30-Jun-13 23:05:41

I'm with you op I hate it too!

Bumpstarter Sun 30-Jun-13 23:07:15

Pelvic. I nearly throttled a mother in a b and b who was trying to feed an eggy Peggy to her 2 year old. I think it's more of a strangulation risk than a loss of limbs scenario. However you can serve strawbs up any time for me... Completey immune to all this abbreviation angst.

muminthecity Sun 30-Jun-13 23:07:33

Brecon - Oddly enough I have only ever heard pots used for jacket potatoes, never roast or boiled or any other kind. My sister calls them jacket pots, the utter bastard. I'm thinking of cutting off all contact with her actually, until she changes her ways. It's either that or extreme violence.

Ludoole Sun 30-Jun-13 23:07:34

Shortening or lengthening foods doesn't bother me (although I don't do it), but the way people say 'advertisement' gets on my goat!!
Its an advert-is-ment, not an adver-tie-sment!!!!

curlew Sun 30-Jun-13 23:07:35

Roasties and sarnies are the absolute worst.

Particularly now I discover that auto correct tries to turn them into rosaries and sardines..........

Bumpstarter Sun 30-Jun-13 23:08:37

Burberry... Before the time sir Walter Raleigh brought the tatie back from the Americas, I think.

ChewingOnLifesGristle Sun 30-Jun-13 23:09:31

Dh call tomato sauce: red lead or tommy sauce. And tartare sauce: cheerio sauce.

I do a good line in withering looks but he just blithley carries on with it...hmm

muminthecity Sun 30-Jun-13 23:09:44

<Adds Annunziata's mum to list of people to punch not to be friends with.>

<Adds LalyRawr to e-mail contacts list>

grin

chickensaladagain Sun 30-Jun-13 23:11:03

Spaghetti = skettie
Hot drink = brew
Sandwich = butty
Crisps = crips

But tomato sauce never ketchup is tommyarto sauce

Strange family I have

muminthecity Sun 30-Jun-13 23:11:04

Chewing - It is clearly time to give up the withering looks and start on the limb removal grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now