Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

about chocolate in the fridge?

(77 Posts)

Please help settle an eternal argument chez Starfish.

I have just been presented with an evening cup of tea from DH, along with a surprise chocolate treat. Lovely. Except it's been in the blinking fridge and is therefore impossible to bite through and enjoy that proper melt in mouth chocolate thing.

He says he prefers it that way but he is wrong. Isn't he?

JessieMcJessie Mon 01-Jul-13 06:22:26

Unless it's really hot inside and the chocolate will melt at room temp, it should not go anywhere near the fridge and if it has been in there I consider it, like you do OP, to be inedible until it reaches room temp.

DP and I disagree on this and I also recently found a pot of jam cluttering up our not very big fridge. "sterility" doesn't come into it- as A child I remember fondly spooning out the green mould on top of our cupboarded jam to get to the useable jam underneath. My strong stomach has sailed through a million foreign holidays while fridge- lovers have fallen...

LayMizzRarb Sun 30-Jun-13 22:41:02

If the bar is made by one of the big manufacturers or supermarket, it is not real chocolate, but chocolate compound. Cocoa solids mixed with vegetable fat/palm oil/ or in the case of American chocolate - parrafin wax. The American manufacturers do this to ensure chocolate does not melt, be it destined for the heat of death Valley or the snowy colder areas.

'Real' chocolate is made using cocoa solids and cocoa butter... I make it myself. Chocolatiers will not put chocolate in a fridge as you risk 'blooming' where all the fat solids come to the surface, giving a horrible texture.

Real chocolate making is very laborious. To temper it, you have to heat it to an exact temperature, which changes the structure of the chocolate enzymes. You then have to lower the temperature, again to an exact degree.

With real chocolate, it should melt, 2-3 seconds after being placed on your tongue, that way, you can really savour the chocolate and cocoa butter.

So it doesn't matter if you put compound chocolate in the fridge, it's down to personal taste. But real chocolate? To get the most from the taste, leave in a cool place.

P.s I keep crisps in the fridge. Weirdo.
grin

exoticfruits Sun 30-Jun-13 22:37:33

I keep jam in the fridge too.

AnnaBegins Sun 30-Jun-13 22:35:30

Seems to be a man thing in our house - DH once ruined some lovely swiss liqueur chocolate by putting it in the fridge - the liqueur centres crystalised sad I have slowly trained him out of it.

But I have given in on jam and now put it in the fridge. Yes, it is a preserve and chock full of sugar, but it keeps him happy and by the time I've buttered my toast while fending off hungry cats it's usually cold anyway!

exoticfruits Sun 30-Jun-13 22:32:47

If it is a 'man' thing they probably got it from their mothers.I have 3DSs and they grew up with chocolate in the fridge ( because it is nicer).

Loving the chocolate squirrelling, pipkins.

Now Fry's Peppermint from the freezer actually sounds divine...

mum11970 Sun 30-Jun-13 22:27:05

Definitely fridge for my chocolate.

exoticfruits Sun 30-Jun-13 22:26:45

I don't think it is a man thing-in my experience most women like it straight from the fridge.

PipkinsPal Sun 30-Jun-13 22:26:30

Chocolate is not sold from the chiller cabinet so therefore it shouldn't go in the fridge. I don't put chocolate in the fridge because that is where my BF looks for it. I hide it all over the house. In my sewing box, the breadmaker, the laundry basket, the linen basket. If there were 3 bars of chocolate on show my BF would eat the lot in one sitting. I like to savour it. I found a piece of mint aero in a casserole dish once. Don't know how long it had been there but it was blumming lovely.

Messandmayhem Sun 30-Jun-13 22:22:46

I think it's a man thing. Most of the men I know think chocolate should be refrigerated. Most women think it should be at room temperature. I like it a bit melty. Except Frys peppermint creams. You have to freeze those and suck them.

exoticfruits Sun 30-Jun-13 22:22:40

I don't eat chocolate unless it has been in the fridge.
Dark chocolate - straight from the fridge- perfect.

mamachelle Sun 30-Jun-13 22:20:29

nothing better than chocolate straight from the fridge! i also throw mine in the fast freeze part of the freezer if i have just bought it so i can eat it quicker smile

MrsOakenshield Sun 30-Jun-13 22:20:05

wow. I don't keep any of those in the fridge (never had pickled onions) and somehow I've reached the age of 41 with narry an ill-effect. Jam's sterility or otherwise has never even occured to me! It's crammed full of sugar, what on earth can go wrong with it?

Marmite in the fridge forever? whaaaaat?

I keep shop bought jams and chutneys in the fridge, but not home made. And never home made marmalade in the fridge, sacrilege.

Ketchup I'm with you on though, and pickled onions. Nothing worse than a warm pickled onion <shudder>

forevergreek Sun 30-Jun-13 22:16:25

We keep jams in fridge. It says to on jar, surely it's only sterile when not opened and onced opened you keep on fridge like many other things.

Jam- fridge
Ketchup- fridge
Marmite - fridge
Picked onions etc- fridge

Actually we have rather empty cupboards and very full fridge

Burmillababe Sun 30-Jun-13 22:13:30

YABU and so is he, a little bit! Chocolate needs at least an hour in the FREEZER before it can be eaten! I hate it when it is soft!

MrsOakenshield Sun 30-Jun-13 22:09:33

what really irritates me is people who put jam and marmalade in the fridge. Cold marmalade on me toast? Yeuch! It's a fucking preserve, for god's sake, it's not going to go off! Grrrrrrrr.

nannynick Sun 30-Jun-13 22:05:22

Dairy Milk big bar... room temp. Fridge ok on high temp days as long as taken out for 1/2 hour or so to warm up.

Dairy Milk Little Bars (the thin children's bars), lovely from the fridge. They are so thin that they crack and melt in the mouth quickly.

So I would agree with you as you have a fruit&nut bar, it needs to be room temp. Though some choc is nice from the fridge, thin choc like DM buttons, DM Little Bars.

hazeyjane Sun 30-Jun-13 21:48:30

Ok

Dairy Milk - fridge
Galaxy - fridge
Green and blacks - room temp
Chocolate buttons - fridge (so ds can hold and suck them without causing HUGE amounts of mess)
Maltesers - freezer
Milka Daim - room temp
Any dark choc - room temp
Any mint chocolate - fridge
Terry's chocolate orange - fridge
Mars bar - room temp
Snickers - room temp
Chunky kitkat - fridge
any chocolate which is flaky, whipped, bubbly, ripple etc - fridge

I realise that I have thought too much about this.....

StuntGirl Sun 30-Jun-13 21:39:50

Utter madness. Anyone who eats chocolate from the fridge is just not quite right.

At bloody last. My fruit & nut has only now reached the desired eating temperature.

His and hers chocolate is the way forward. DH is now trying to snaffle some of my half after having pigged his down too quickly, when it was freezing cold.

I'm going to enjoy it, lingeringly, piece by piece grin

freddiefrog Sun 30-Jun-13 21:30:22

It's an argument that features regularly here too

DH likes it from the fridge, I like it room temp, even better if it's just on the verge of melting. I hate it from the fridge.

It's a good excuse to buy double the chocolate, he keeps his in the fridge, I keep mine on top of the fridge

DoJo Sun 30-Jun-13 21:29:58

He's wrong - it's too cold and hard and horrid and we frequently have to have his and hers chocolate to account for my husband's wrongness on the matter too!

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 30-Jun-13 21:28:43

I know! sad I've no idea where he's got the idea it's normal from Starfish but he will not accept it's completely wrong no matter how many times I shout gently explain.

Cake? Noooo. That's criminal alis!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now