Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

about chocolate in the fridge?

(77 Posts)

Please help settle an eternal argument chez Starfish.

I have just been presented with an evening cup of tea from DH, along with a surprise chocolate treat. Lovely. Except it's been in the blinking fridge and is therefore impossible to bite through and enjoy that proper melt in mouth chocolate thing.

He says he prefers it that way but he is wrong. Isn't he?

LayMizzRarb Sun 30-Jun-13 22:41:02

If the bar is made by one of the big manufacturers or supermarket, it is not real chocolate, but chocolate compound. Cocoa solids mixed with vegetable fat/palm oil/ or in the case of American chocolate - parrafin wax. The American manufacturers do this to ensure chocolate does not melt, be it destined for the heat of death Valley or the snowy colder areas.

'Real' chocolate is made using cocoa solids and cocoa butter... I make it myself. Chocolatiers will not put chocolate in a fridge as you risk 'blooming' where all the fat solids come to the surface, giving a horrible texture.

Real chocolate making is very laborious. To temper it, you have to heat it to an exact temperature, which changes the structure of the chocolate enzymes. You then have to lower the temperature, again to an exact degree.

With real chocolate, it should melt, 2-3 seconds after being placed on your tongue, that way, you can really savour the chocolate and cocoa butter.

So it doesn't matter if you put compound chocolate in the fridge, it's down to personal taste. But real chocolate? To get the most from the taste, leave in a cool place.

P.s I keep crisps in the fridge. Weirdo.
grin

JessieMcJessie Mon 01-Jul-13 06:22:26

Unless it's really hot inside and the chocolate will melt at room temp, it should not go anywhere near the fridge and if it has been in there I consider it, like you do OP, to be inedible until it reaches room temp.

DP and I disagree on this and I also recently found a pot of jam cluttering up our not very big fridge. "sterility" doesn't come into it- as A child I remember fondly spooning out the green mould on top of our cupboarded jam to get to the useable jam underneath. My strong stomach has sailed through a million foreign holidays while fridge- lovers have fallen...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now