Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

about chocolate in the fridge?

(77 Posts)

Please help settle an eternal argument chez Starfish.

I have just been presented with an evening cup of tea from DH, along with a surprise chocolate treat. Lovely. Except it's been in the blinking fridge and is therefore impossible to bite through and enjoy that proper melt in mouth chocolate thing.

He says he prefers it that way but he is wrong. Isn't he?

Wiifitmama Sun 30-Jun-13 20:45:41

All chocolate must be in the fridge. Always. End of. I would keep it in the freezer if I wasn't scared of breaking my teeth smile

I hate fridge chocolate, DP always puts it in there. The worst was when he put my chocolate chip cookies in there and they went brittle and soggy at the same time angry

SelfRighteousPrissyPants Sun 30-Jun-13 20:47:56

It goes white if you put it in the fridge so he's definitely wrong!

Chocolate should be eaten in the manner of a camel, not a T rex grin grin

I am in a T-Rex kind of a mood... but hell I can't even break the pieces off with my hands as it's so bloody cold.

Tea now finished and still waiting for chocolate to warm up <taps fingers>

TeacupTempest Sun 30-Jun-13 20:48:29

Best not to but at a push milk chocolate can be fridged. Never, never (take not fil) fridge dark chocolate!

MrsOakenshield Sun 30-Jun-13 20:50:43

only dark chocolate goes white, SelfRighteous.

Jamie Oliver chocolate from the fridge is yum.

YoureAllABunchOfBastards Sun 30-Jun-13 20:50:45

I used to love sliced up Mars bar from the fridge. Mmmmmm.

Shroomboom Sun 30-Jun-13 20:51:59

I live in Belgium so therefore I 'know' - chocolate should never be put in the fridge and is best kept at room temperature. The chocolatiers to the Belgian royal family told me this, how can they be wrong?

DramaAlpaca Sun 30-Jun-13 20:52:54

Your DH is absolutely right. Chocolate must be kept in the fridge. Keeping it in the freezer, however, is taking it a bit too far.

We have learned the hard way in our house that you must never leave any chocolate at eye level in the fridge or it will be devoured by DH. DS3 has still not forgotten (or forgiven) the large bar of white chocolate that was "accidentally" eaten by his dad about five years ago! Chocolate has to be hidden right at the back of the fridge.

likesnowflakesinanocean Sun 30-Jun-13 20:57:27

my dad freezes all his chocolate even snickers grin. I agree with you doom temp or melted

Exactly Shroom. This has always been my argument to DH. If chocolate was meant for the fridge, why do chocolatiers not keep/sell chocolate from refrigerated cabinets?

Attempting first frosty bite of F&N...

PoppyWearer Sun 30-Jun-13 21:00:46

No chocolate in the fridge, ever! <gavel>

DuchessFanny Sun 30-Jun-13 21:00:56

My DH does this too, was most pissed off to find that he'd put my dairy milk in the fridge because the weathers a bit warmer than usual ... Doesn't he know I'm now going to have to wait for it to warm up a bit ?!
This is why I love Aussie Tim Tams - bite off the ends then suck coffee through the middle, sounds off but the melty chocolatey-ness is ammaaazing !

forevergreek Sun 30-Jun-13 21:03:58

Just had some lovely dark mint Lindt chocolate from the fridge.

Nottalotta Sun 30-Jun-13 21:03:58

He's wrong.

wonderingsoul Sun 30-Jun-13 21:04:06

billcomp My grandad used to put a mars bar in the freezer then slice it up and put in on a plate for me, I've no idea why he did that but it was lovely!

yess yess. that is his favourite chocolate in the freezer, but he does it with all, but he too cuts the mars bar up to eat.

how strange, but its made me smile that another dad does it grin

spotscotch Sun 30-Jun-13 21:04:58

Argh yanbu, DH puts chocolate in the fridge and it drives me nuts. It's so hard, you can't enjoy it!

Gagging for a bar of fruit and nut now...

catsmother Sun 30-Jun-13 21:06:17

Admittedly chocolatiers don't sell their stuff out of a fridge but I bet their shops have decent air conditioning and/or temperature regulators - or something.

I love chocolate - but it makes me feel very nauseous if it's not chilled first so I never unless I'm absolutely desperate eat it straight from a shop. Personally I prefer to eat my chocolate slowly, letting it melt in the mouth rather than chomp it down, so being cold is better for that. And I agree that frozen Mars or Snickers are great.

forevergreek Sun 30-Jun-13 21:06:54

Although dh does put everything in fridge! Bread/ whole fruit bowl etc... He says it saves cluttering up the sides

The freezer is for coffee and vodka

PearlyWhites Sun 30-Jun-13 21:07:43

Yabu chocolate is horrible unless its fridge cold

wonderingsoul Sun 30-Jun-13 21:08:10

forevergreek

i get the vodka in the freezer...but why coffee?

I just don't get DH's fridge/choc obsession when our kitchen stays lovely and cool all year round. It's north facing, walls about 2ft thick, flagstone flooring and plenty of dark, cool pantry style storage.

It's not going to melt even if it's 35 degrees outside! My chocolate is STILL too chilly to eat. Second cup of tea on the go...

Vodka in the freezer. Ditto limoncello. Coffee beans in the fridge, otherwise they are too hard to grind properly.

forevergreek Sun 30-Jun-13 21:16:39

Fresh ground coffee in the freezer keeps it fresh. Plus we don't drink it ourselves just guests so seems pointless grinding fresh each time for one/ two people

MrsHuxtable Sun 30-Jun-13 21:18:05

I prefer chocolate out of the fridge. DH doesn't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now