Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

about chocolate in the fridge?

(77 Posts)

Please help settle an eternal argument chez Starfish.

I have just been presented with an evening cup of tea from DH, along with a surprise chocolate treat. Lovely. Except it's been in the blinking fridge and is therefore impossible to bite through and enjoy that proper melt in mouth chocolate thing.

He says he prefers it that way but he is wrong. Isn't he?

LittleNoona Sun 30-Jun-13 20:33:46

Absolutely he's wrong!

It must be room temp at most, slightly warmer than that is even better - it's soft and luscious...! Yum!

curiousgeorgie Sun 30-Jun-13 20:33:51

I'm with him. I love fridge chocolate. Fridge chocolate buttons in particular are amazing... wink

cardibach Sun 30-Jun-13 20:34:19

No, he is right. Nothing worse than slightly melted chocolate! Who bites through chocolate anyway? The correct method is to break off a square, then out it in your mouth until your body heat melts it. The colder it is to start, the more satisfying this is. smile

Haha, my DH does this as well, never mind, leave it a few minutes and it will be fine --and better that than being a pile of melted chocolate that looks a bit like...the contents of a nappy!--grin

wonderingsoul Sun 30-Jun-13 20:35:29

my dad puts it in the freezer!!!! so im at my parents and find chocolate in the fridge id be happy lol

SoftlySoftly Sun 30-Jun-13 20:36:51

Wrong but so it's melted chocolate. It has to be at optimum cool room temp.

<<gavel>>

BabsAndTheRu Sun 30-Jun-13 20:37:06

Love chocolate from the fridge, hate it any other way.

Smartieaddict Sun 30-Jun-13 20:37:28

He was wrong to put it in the fridge, but he has given it to you with warm tea, which surely makes up for the cold chocolate? A mouthful of tea should make sure the chocolate is properly melted and lovely in seconds.

DontmindifIdo Sun 30-Jun-13 20:37:38

Depends, dark chocolate or milk chocolate that has nothing added to it (such as buttons or dairy milk) should be in the fridge, but otherwise, room temp.

Thumbtack Sun 30-Jun-13 20:37:41

Oh me and my Dp argue over this!

How can you taste it if it's chilled?

Needs to be room temperature.

YANBU.

He also also dips his chocolate into cold yoghurt, but not tea? I mean, wtaf is that all about?

So wrong, chocolate from the fridge is horrible, brittle and doesn't taste of anything.

zoobaby Sun 30-Jun-13 20:38:40

What is it with men putting wrong things in the fridge? DP sneaks all sorts in there... Pretty much everything and anything. Except for drinks. What's that all about then?

LittleNoona Sun 30-Jun-13 20:38:59

I dip my chocolate into my tea! grin

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Sun 30-Jun-13 20:39:56

I'd take chocolate anyway I could get it right now!!

But to answer your question... it depends what mood I'm in!

But you don't have to tell him that - you can just tell him MN says he's wrong grin

Sparklingbrook Sun 30-Jun-13 20:40:03

Chocolate MUST be kept in the fridge in this weather. We always have Chocolate Digestives from the freezer.

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Sun 30-Jun-13 20:40:53

I need to know what your 'chocolate treat' is??

sewingandcakes Sun 30-Jun-13 20:41:13

I love chocolate from the fridge and am now compelled to go out to buy some

WafflyVersatile Sun 30-Jun-13 20:43:04

He is wrong. You are right.

I 'store' mine above the under-cupboard light so the warmth softens it.

Solari Sun 30-Jun-13 20:43:07

I do this. grin Its particularly nice for the 'melt in the mouth slowly' experience, and especially if its bubbly chocolate like Aero.

Chocolate in the freezer? Worse, BISCUITS?

Bloody hell. I am not telling DH, it will give him ideas.

He's redeemed himself by offering me the lion's share. It is a large bar of fruit and nut. Cheap and cheerful and should definitely therefore NOT be chilled. A bar of 80% Lindt dark I'd be less fussy about. It's thin after all and therefore melts quickly in the mouth, but a Fruit & Nut is a beast of a bar and impossible to eat when chilled.

Ah well, this is the man who puts back empty cardboard beer bottle carriers into the fridge after all hmm.

Bloody good thing he makes great tea.

LastTangoInDevonshire Sun 30-Jun-13 20:44:16

Chocolate should be straight out of the fridge.

BillComptonstrousers Sun 30-Jun-13 20:44:50

My grandad used to put a mars bar in the freezer then slice it up and put in on a plate for me, I've no idea why he did that but it was lovely!
And he would get two digestives, put two squares of dairy milk in between them and put it on top of the mantelpiece above the coal fire. The tension while I waited for the dairy milk to melt was sometimes unbearable!

MrsOakenshield Sun 30-Jun-13 20:44:53

milk chocolate in the fridge. Dark chocolate at room temperature.

MadBusLady Sun 30-Jun-13 20:45:03

Another vote for Mr Starfish. Warm chocolate all squishy and smeared and misshapen from the wrapper is minging. And you don't need to "bite" into it. Chocolate should be eaten in the manner of a camel, not a T rex.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now