Disturbing other house guests

(35 Posts)
ArabellaBeaumaris Sun 30-Jun-13 18:23:04

Stayed over at a friend's family home so that we could attend a big garden party there, as we live 200 miles away. About 15 other (young childless!) people ended up crashing, so there were multiple people sleeping in every room apart from the kitchen.

Dd2 had a lie in & got up at 6.35, I took her downstairs so she didn't wake DD1. We stayed in the kitchen, but dd2 doesn't have a mute button or volume control & I know she disturbed people, especially those in the dining room attached. When dd1 woke up & we had breakfasted & dressed we went out to the playground but I was wondering if I should have done more to keep the kids quiet? I could, I suppose, have given them breakfast & got them dressed in the garden.

Was IBU not going to great lengths to avoid disturbing others? DC are 5 & 21m.

SinisterSal Sun 30-Jun-13 23:16:11

Good Point PP

WafflyVersatile Sun 30-Jun-13 23:42:37

If you end up dossing at someone's house last minute along with 13 other people then you take what you get and roll with the punches.

you were a longstanding arrangement and not doing anything wrong.

quoteunquote Mon 01-Jul-13 00:00:37

The only people allowed to complain or comment about children disturbing people in the morning, are people who can prove they never disturbed anyone when they were children.

I have attempted to prove this about myself, but my father, grandparents, aunts and uncle bore false witness and lied (I tell you) and told the court(my offspring) that I had indeed made noise before 9.30am

bedhaven Mon 01-Jul-13 09:08:00

You may have been unreasonable had you opened the lounge door, let in the kids, closed the door and gone back to bed! You were totally considerate within the options open to you. Don't worry, even if they were disturbed if they haven't got kids I'm sure they'll catch up on sleep.

Trills Mon 01-Jul-13 09:13:11

As a childless person who often finds the noise of children annoying - Y were NBU.

If you "end up crashing", you take what you get.

As long as the children were not actually climbing on the sleeping hungover people, you were fine.

kickassangel Mon 01-Jul-13 09:27:26

Friends stayed at our place once (pre planned) and were woken up by 3 yr old dd sitting on the bed at 6.30 saying "hello, lady what's your name?"

The moment I had heard her footsteps I got out of bed to intercept her, but was just a few moments too late.

You sleep over, you get what you're given.

imademarion Mon 01-Jul-13 09:31:40

Chuckling at Dd2 had a lie in & got up at 6.35.

If nobody said anything to you, I think you can safely say you got away with it and officially not worry for another minute!

If you're posting because you have the impression you did something wrong, maybe mention you hope you didn't disturb anyone when you send your thank you note.

I think if the hosts' parents were down not long after you then you weren't out of order.

Portable DVD player genius idea and maybe take one next time?

Notcontent Mon 01-Jul-13 14:03:03

I think you acted very reasonably!
It would be silly to suggest that you should take your children outside to feed and dress.

MaxPepsi Mon 01-Jul-13 15:30:30

You did nothing wrong.

You were invited to stay by the owners of the house. No one, not even them really, have any cause to complain if your dd woke them.

To be honest, at the moment anything after 6am is a lie in for me, I'd have been very happy!

Wylye Mon 01-Jul-13 15:43:23

YANBU at all - you were invited by the hosts, they knew your small ones would be up early, and so accepted that on behalf of everyone.
You did what you could in the circs to keep them away from the sleepers, which wasn't particularly convenient for you.
Short of gagging DD2 it was the best you could have done really!

Anyone grumbled would have got the hmm look from your hosts I'm sure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now