to not post on threads where the op is ridiculously long, for that reason only?

(30 Posts)
Mintyy Sun 30-Jun-13 16:44:23

I am always terribly impressed (or sometimes a bit mystified) to see people kindly replying to pages and pages of ramble.

I am sure most op's could be written in full, no drip-feeding, in a couple of hundred words confused.

Trills Sun 30-Jun-13 21:12:05

It is never unreasonable to choose not to participate in a thread.

Even if you would have the absolute best advice, that nobody else could offer, it's not your sacred duty to respond.

Have googled TLDR - Too Long, Didn't Read. (Was wondering myself)

I do try to read some long OPs but often just get lost and then give up. I can't see the point in posting "I can't be arsed" etc. Just comment on threads you want to. I tend not to comment on anything with more than 3 pages of posts when I start. I really can't be bothered trawling through them all, and I don't like commenting unless I know what has been said.

Nottalotta Sun 30-Jun-13 20:51:12

What is tldr? I often don't reply to very long posts byt only really because they sometimes worry me (the mental health aspect) and i don't feel 'qualified' to reply.

OwlinaTree Sun 30-Jun-13 18:08:23

yes, some threads offer lots of support. But i would advise people who are looking for support rather than advice to post on a thread that is more about support than advice.

thegreylady Sun 30-Jun-13 17:59:55

Sometimes someone is desperate for someone to listen but there is no-one there in rl.So they pour out all their anger,pain or stress and want to share it with some-one anyone who won't turn away.Sometimes those outpourings are very long and those are often the ones which contain the loudest cry for help.I could not ignore such a post.All you need to say is "I am here,tell me about it".

pollywollydoodle Sun 30-Jun-13 17:58:39

i'm afraid that if it is too long+/not broken up i usually click away...it's too much to take in

Can't say I've ever noticed a long OP about something very small.
<lives charmed life>

OwlinaTree Sun 30-Jun-13 17:37:13

But this is supposed to be a chat forum is it not? Small problems are more chat worthy than massively obvious YABU or YANBU.

usualsuspect Sun 30-Jun-13 17:36:05

I feel like posting TL;DR

But I don't because it's not nice grin

Mintyy Sun 30-Jun-13 17:35:07

I understand, but lots of incredibly long ops are about very small problems.

"I am sure most op's could be written in full, no drip-feeding, in a couple of hundred words"
They probably could, if the OP were not writing whilst upset, enraged, confused, under pressure, stressed, etc. When you're in the middle of a complicated and upsetting dilemma, anyone who can still think/write straight probably doesn't need to come on to MN to ask for help/comments/debate.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Sun 30-Jun-13 17:21:01

The latest novel like OP is written by a troubled mind. I agree that on the whole, less is more opening post wise.

Tee2072 Sun 30-Jun-13 17:21:01

YES! TLDR!!!

or we could add a TLDR summary

TL;DR - my DH is a twat, let's all say he is a twat etc

Tee2072 Sun 30-Jun-13 17:18:19

I never read very long OPs. Sum it up, people. If you can't say it in, say, 5 sentences, don't say it at all.

Then they'd get accused of drip feeding later, though.

OPs just can't win with me.

grin

exoticfruits Sun 30-Jun-13 17:14:12

I must admit that I click straight off if it is too long. However, I think the one you are thinking of had real problems so I hoped someone helped.

OwlinaTree Sun 30-Jun-13 17:12:09

All the hashtags annoy me. #longop #shortop #kindreply #aibu

Mintyy Sun 30-Jun-13 17:06:30

Hmm, think Twitter is a bit drastic!

OwlinaTree Sun 30-Jun-13 17:01:06

Maybe it could be limited like twitter.

Mintyy Sun 30-Jun-13 16:57:02

I agree with you moaning, but sometimes I have to sit on hands to stop myself from c&p'ing and subbing them down. Its a sort of reflex from years of working in publishing.

I agree. I think it's much more polite to not answer rather than post - CBA to read all that, sorry. or PARAGRAPHS, please people!

Mintyy Sun 30-Jun-13 16:53:33

True.

OwlinaTree Sun 30-Jun-13 16:52:52

Equally sometimes there's not much to say to a very short op, as there is not enough information to make a comment.

YANBU not to post on threads you don't want to post on but I don't take anything from that about what length an OP should be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now