Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think every person should know not to kiss a dog on the cheeks?

(72 Posts)
Chandras Sun 30-Jun-13 16:35:44

Well, I'm sure I am it would be unreasonable to expect that, but now that I have got your attention I just want to mention this, feel free to pass it on in order to prevent more accidents:

From the human perspective, a kiss on the cheek is a harmless expression of friendlyness, from a dog perspective it's a different thing:

If dogs were still running wild, the way they would kill their prey would be by grabing it by the neck and giving it a good shake. This is still embeded in dogs' nature, you have seen them playing with toys this way.

In the same way, when 2 dogs fight, the one that grabs the other's neck is the one who wins the fight, with a good likelyhood of the less lucky one dying in the process.

It is therefore that when a dog sees another mouth going straight in the direction of its neck, the ancient instict of survival just kicks in and they bite back.

It may be that you kiss your dogs' cheeks without problem, but then your dogs trust YOU enough not to react, but this might not be the case with visits, other people, or even other members of your family.

So please teach your children that it is not safe to kiss even friendly dogs on the cheeks and, do not let anyone try to kiss your dog on the cheeks either. If this was general knowledge, many accidents coukd be avoided, many people wouldn't have been hurt and many friendly dogs wouldn't have been put to sleep.

Thank you,

IneedAyoniNickname Sun 30-Jun-13 18:57:50

Oh! sad

hahathatsme Sun 30-Jun-13 19:03:32

maybe these dogs attack because they just didn't want a randomer coming up and kissing them, regardless of where it was? hmm I second the person who said licking the mouth area is a sign of submission. But I would never encourage my child to kiss a dog anywhere, they are disgusting things with foul habits that human mouths should not go near!

HoneyDragon Sun 30-Jun-13 19:04:27

Sorry.

Tbh. Being a couple of foot away from the wrong Armadillo could also result in bits dropping off you too.

Dogs are safer. There's only so much a Pomeranian can chew off before you escape.

Hug and Armadillo, all your bits drop of then you die.

HoneyDragon Sun 30-Jun-13 19:05:48

But you should only hug people not dogs really unless you are 100% certain you dog likes it. And children should NEVER hug dogs.

Does this apply to French dogs as well?

LST Sun 30-Jun-13 19:18:10

YABU. We all kiss our dog on the cheek.

BabyMakesMyEyesGoSleepy Sun 30-Jun-13 21:07:06

I can kiss and hug my dog. He is the laziest dog ever and he wouldn't be bothered to make the effort to lift his head,never mind growl. I hoovered around him today. Even when I was pushing his bum he wouldn't move.

melika Sun 30-Jun-13 21:12:52

My mongrel has a marking on each cheek and that's where I always kiss him, my 2 ds do it too. Never thought it was dangerous, he has never shown any agression.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sun 30-Jun-13 21:14:07

I like kissing dogs on the bit where their whiskers grow. It's sort of plump and cute. blush

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sun 30-Jun-13 21:14:28

I don't do it to randomers though...only dogs who love me and know me.

Rahahaharubbish Sun 30-Jun-13 21:15:00

I just roused my stupid Border Collie to test this theory and proper nom nom nomed his neck while he looked at me a tad bemused and did a token ear lick, I think to make me feel a bit better about the whole love in. He's back under the table now looking at me and I just know he's wondering what the jeff that spontaneous display of affection was all about blush

ShowOfHands Sun 30-Jun-13 21:21:34

I've never read a report about a dog attack where anybody said they wanted to kiss the dog. People who want to kiss random dogs are a whole heap of wrong anyway.

I do know you shouldn't dry hump a porcupine though.

HoneyDragon Sun 30-Jun-13 21:24:22

Because of course it's so much better with lube Showy

CatInWellies Sun 30-Jun-13 21:36:33

I know from first hand experience you should never give a llama a high five <<shakes head gravely>>

HoneyDragon Sun 30-Jun-13 22:21:41

You guys do know I'm telling the truth about Armadillos don't you? grin

Armadillos can give you Leprosy.

Never do bumsex with an ostrich, even if it is a Friday and you're at Center Parcs.

digerd Mon 01-Jul-13 12:01:18

How on earth did this thread go from kissing your dog on the cheek to having bumsex with an ostrich on a Friday at Center Parcs grin

Fakebook Mon 01-Jul-13 12:08:18

How about not kissing dogs full stop. It's disgusting. Just keep your children away from dog spit and slime.

HoneyDragon Mon 01-Jul-13 13:02:40

And leprosy. Don't forgot Armadillo Leprosy.

I want to google armadillo leprosy but I'm worried what I might find wink.

This thread made me dream that I had an enormous dog - as big as a donkey. I checked, he didn't have cheeks.

HoneyDragon Mon 01-Jul-13 18:28:07

In the interests of this thread, I feel it is important to highlight that dogs do have cheeks.

As we can see demonstrated by HullyGully in some fetching rouge

So for those who kiss dogs, that is where they kiss them.

Iwantmybed Mon 01-Jul-13 21:20:30

My dogs breath smells of death to be avoided at all costs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now