To think every person should know not to kiss a dog on the cheeks?

(72 Posts)
Chandras Sun 30-Jun-13 16:35:44

Well, I'm sure I am it would be unreasonable to expect that, but now that I have got your attention I just want to mention this, feel free to pass it on in order to prevent more accidents:

From the human perspective, a kiss on the cheek is a harmless expression of friendlyness, from a dog perspective it's a different thing:

If dogs were still running wild, the way they would kill their prey would be by grabing it by the neck and giving it a good shake. This is still embeded in dogs' nature, you have seen them playing with toys this way.

In the same way, when 2 dogs fight, the one that grabs the other's neck is the one who wins the fight, with a good likelyhood of the less lucky one dying in the process.

It is therefore that when a dog sees another mouth going straight in the direction of its neck, the ancient instict of survival just kicks in and they bite back.

It may be that you kiss your dogs' cheeks without problem, but then your dogs trust YOU enough not to react, but this might not be the case with visits, other people, or even other members of your family.

So please teach your children that it is not safe to kiss even friendly dogs on the cheeks and, do not let anyone try to kiss your dog on the cheeks either. If this was general knowledge, many accidents coukd be avoided, many people wouldn't have been hurt and many friendly dogs wouldn't have been put to sleep.

Thank you,

maja00 Sun 30-Jun-13 17:20:09

I have never heard of anyone trying to kiss a dog's cheeks, and have never read that coming up in newspaper reports of dog attacks confused

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Sun 30-Jun-13 17:22:42

Yanbu. Dogs are dirty little fuckers. Why on earth would you snog one on the face?!

Feenie Sun 30-Jun-13 17:30:41

Have you read this story from last Friday?

Stupid, stupid teacher and poor, poor dog sad

crashdoll Sun 30-Jun-13 17:34:36

LOL at snogging a dog's 'cheeks'!

DramaAlpaca Sun 30-Jun-13 17:35:27

YANBU. Kissing a dog anywhere is utterly disgusting.

Disclaimer: I love dogs, but I wouldn't kiss one (or allow my children to do so).

digerd Sun 30-Jun-13 17:38:49

I kissed my dachshund on the cheek from the back as she was getting fed up with me not finding her ball she had deliberately plonked behind the sofa and the wall - she whipped her head round and snapped with frustration, not knowing my nose was in reach of her teeth.
My nose swelled up and had to have a tetanus jabs at GPs. DH didn't tell me off, just laughed at my silliness. grin

Latara Sun 30-Jun-13 17:52:01

YANBU I wouldn't kiss a dog on the cheeks; i daren't even kiss my cat on the face (i kiss her on the tummy but only if i'm holding her paws first which irritates her no end so i have to make a quick getaway!)

Mappa Sun 30-Jun-13 18:02:04

YANBU, I give my dog full on snogs grin but I suppose I would be surprised if someone else did

ThirdTimesABrokenFanjo Sun 30-Jun-13 18:02:33

eurgh

MarianneEnjolras Sun 30-Jun-13 18:04:52

I kiss my cat on the head and she head bops me in return.

Would never want to kiss a dog though.

Leverette Sun 30-Jun-13 18:07:26

I kiss my gorgeous dog everywhere above the waist because she's my big hairy baby grin

Samu2 Sun 30-Jun-13 18:10:17

I would also kiss my dogs cheeks. He loves it.

I wouldn't kiss a dog that wasn't my own, ever.

SugarPasteGreyhound Sun 30-Jun-13 18:34:12

I kiss the top of their heads. Small dog isn't a kissy boy, but big dog loves trying to dish out full on snogs. However sadly he also has an unattractive habit of scarfing random poo <boak>, so the kissing is strictly one way in this house.

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Sun 30-Jun-13 18:36:25

Was the gin good?

EleanorFarjeon Sun 30-Jun-13 18:36:50

I have just looked at my dog. He has no cheeks.

I kiss the top of his head.

Bowlersarm Sun 30-Jun-13 18:38:53

Thank you for the information OP. I am always kissing and cuddling my dogs, I can't seem to stop myself, but it's useful to know it's not ok to do it to dogs you don't know well.

HoneyDragon Sun 30-Jun-13 18:38:59

Never, ever hug an Armadillo. I don't think most people know this.

Used to love kissing all over my beloved dog's face, as a child and even as a grown up, not ashamed to admit it! He was the soppiest lab in the whole world, such a lovely boy.

I do get where you're coming from though OP.

IneedAyoniNickname Sun 30-Jun-13 18:40:54

I'd love to hug an armadillo HD they are so.cute! Why can't I?

I never knew about.kissing a dogs cheeks, but then.I wouldn't kiss a dog at all! Yuck!

everlong Sun 30-Jun-13 18:42:42

Tops of dogs heads are the place to kiss.

littlewhitebag Sun 30-Jun-13 18:45:34

I kiss my dog on her cheek/jowls all the time. Just did it a moment ago. She just gave me her long suffering look. No way did she look like she was going to maul me.

HoneyDragon Sun 30-Jun-13 18:46:36

See. Masses of people totally uneducated in the way of the Armadillo.

<<sigh>>

IneedAyoniNickname Sun 30-Jun-13 18:47:51

But why can't I hug an armadillo? Other than the obvious that I wouldn't know where to find one.

Onetwo34 Sun 30-Jun-13 18:48:51

I don't think you ought to try to kiss a dog on the cheek because you'll probably end up with a dog tongue in your mouth. Bleugh.

HoneyDragon Sun 30-Jun-13 18:52:54

Because if you hug and armadillo your skin drops off - true Fact

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now