To think dh should look after ds for a little while?

(22 Posts)

Dh has been away for a lad's weekend so it's been just me and ds since Friday. Ds is just 4. We've had quite a nice weekend but obviously I haven't had any time to myself.

Dh has returned and is now lying on the sofa watching tv saying he's too tired (and probably hungover) to do anything.

Aibu to think it wouldn't kill him to watch ds for an hour so I can go to the shop for a few things and maybe tidy round a bit?!

I probably am. But still. Arghhhh.

And when I say 'lad's weekend' dh is nearly 40!

HumphreyCobbler Sun 30-Jun-13 16:00:46

How on earth could you think that was unreasonable?

Loulybelle Sun 30-Jun-13 16:01:56

Boot his lazy arse of the sofa and tell him to get to it.

Well I suppose it was optimistic of me to expect any different. He's probably been drinking for 48 hours. He doesn't seem to hungover though although he has had paracetamol.

Tell him to move his arse. He decided to go to this 'lads weekend' and he decided to have a DS.

Tell him to take some painkillers/shove water in his face and get on with it. It's his fault he's in that state anyway.

CrowsLanding Sun 30-Jun-13 16:03:51

Why do you need to ask him to look after his own ds? I never understand these threads.

What is wrong with ' I'm off to the shop now'

Geillis Sun 30-Jun-13 16:04:04

YANBU, don't give him a choice, just leave the house!

CloudsAndTrees Sun 30-Jun-13 16:04:09

Remind him he gave up recovery time when he became a Dad and go and do what you need to do.

x post.

well then, tell him to just get up and do something with his son, it wont kill him and he may even enjoy it.

besides, I'm sure ds has missed his Dad whilst he's been away.

Feelslikea1sttimer Sun 30-Jun-13 16:04:19

I would give him a shopping list and send him off to the shops with ds whilst you have a soak in the bath...

peteypiranha Sun 30-Jun-13 16:05:24

Of course he should do it. Dh has looked after our children even after 2 hours sleep after he has been on sessions with the lads. He still takes them to the park or out to give me a break.

PrettyKitty1986 Sun 30-Jun-13 16:10:26

'Of course he should do it. Dh has looked after our children even after 2 hours sleep after he has been on sessions with the lads. '

Really? hmm
How completely irresponsible.

peteypiranha Sun 30-Jun-13 16:13:15

Why? he doesnt drink lots so he gets smashed hes just up late.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sun 30-Jun-13 16:15:04

Pretty irresponsible how?

I've looked after my children on about that much sleep when they've had a bad night. Was that irresponsible of me? I'd love to know who you think should have taken over.

OP YANBU.

HawaiianSunset12 Sun 30-Jun-13 16:15:25

Why don't you just go out? You say "DH, I'm going out, DS is staying here" and go. He's hardly going to ignore his son then, is he?

PrettyKitty1986 Sun 30-Jun-13 16:32:57

'Sessions with the lads' doesn't imply abstinence.

peteypiranha Sun 30-Jun-13 16:34:23

You can still drink without being a complete mess surely? I have often looked after children on 2/3 hours sleep after nights out, but I still act as normal just an energy drink or coffee and Im completely normal.

arethereanyleftatall Sun 30-Jun-13 17:02:31

'see you in a while, I'm going shopping'
There, not that difficult.

If DP is at home when I need to go out shopping, for example, I just grab my stuff, and go with a cheery "see you later".

He is perfectly capable of looking after his own children.

Ashoething Sun 30-Jun-13 17:18:31

My dh used to do this all the time. Not go away for lads weekends but he would say "I've worked hard all week and need a rest"-with the implication being that is was all my responsibility to look after the kids!

I put up with it for way too long until I got good advice on here and now I just do what other posters on here have suggested-I get ready and say see you in a couple of hours or I tell dh to get off his arse and take kids out!

I would just put my coat on,shout cheerio and go op....

sameoldIggi Sun 30-Jun-13 17:23:20

I find with men it is a lot easier to just say what you are going to do, waiting around for an offer never got me anywhere.
If he refuses to take a turn, well you know what your answer will be the next time he enquiries about attending such a weekend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now