Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to feel saddened about " breast feeding covers

(379 Posts)
Theas18 Sun 30-Jun-13 12:43:32

lady on the next table in the cafe I'm in ifs beat feeding a lovely month or so old baby under a huge bib.

maybe she feels " happier about it" and all that but really. What do you see for a happily breastfeeding b baby-the back of a sweet little head? no big deal and very normal.

Why are we ( society) doing this to mums and babies. surely a 6 month old won't tolerate it anyway, so I guess they give up then sad

GetYourSocksOff Thu 04-Jul-13 20:47:07

Interestingly, and by complete coincidence, I clicked on a blog link on MN earlier (about judginess and avocados). And have found myself falling a little in love with the author and exploring the blog further... Including her section on gentle parenting and as part of that, breastfeeding.

Can I link on here to blogs? I'm not sure.

Her posts on breastfeeding are beautiful and make me wish I'd found her blog before either one of my babies. It's inspiring and has shifted my own perspective a little. Maybe part of the difference is that there are pictures, beautiful pictures, of her feeding her baby and toddler (as opposed to 'do as I say... whilst I sit fully clothed and judge you'). And her writing is humorous and positive and balanced.

This is the kind of message which needs to reach new mums. Just that it's one way of doing it and normal people are doing it and it's kind of beautiful and inspiring. Not that everybody else is getting it wrong.

GetYourSocksOff Thu 04-Jul-13 20:48:30

Sod it, here's the link, someone please report the post if needed.

CaptainUndercrackers Fri 05-Jul-13 08:21:18

That's a fab blog get, thanks for the link. And totally agree that this kind of positive message is so much more effective - and inclusive - than the 'but why are you doing it that way?' handwringing that seems to be so popular.

itsaruddygame Fri 05-Jul-13 10:13:46

This thread really gets on my wick. It's nobody else's business whether a breastfeeding mother feels more comfortable covering up or not. Our society in general is accepting of breast feeding mothers and it is encouraged and promoted as best for babies in this country. Let people get on with feeding their babies and worry about something more important.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now