Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to not understand appeal of Caitlin Moran writing for The Times?

(316 Posts)
ARealDame Sun 30-Jun-13 11:37:07

She always has at least a couple of articles in The Times on Saturday, including her TV reviews, and seems to be heavily promoted there at the moment.

But I often find her writing cringeworthy e.g. this Saturday TV reviewing The White Queen headlines "She Makes Ingrid Bergman look like Someone Stuck Tits on a Turnip". Last Saturday, reviewing exactly the same programme (did anyone at The Times notice hmm?) the review headlined Battles, Castles and Tons of Fruity Historical Humping. Is she just being crass/offensive for the sake of it? And I find so much of her writing self-adulating plus impossible to make any sense of, a jumble of thoughtless sentences stuck together ... almost like a teenager on speed.

It seems a shame when The Times on Saturday has some enjoyable journalism e.g. the often brilliant Janice Turner, Matthew Paris, Giles Coran, plus some great review stuff of the Arts.

My heart just sinks when I see her bylines and picture. AIBU ?

noddyholder Sun 30-Jun-13 16:07:01

Feminist? I think some true feminists would dispute that

HarumScarum Sun 30-Jun-13 16:07:26

Sorry, I was all ready to agree with you, OP, until you got to Janice Turner and Giles Coren. I would read books worth of Caitlin in preference to those two (and I am far from her biggest fan).

Salbertina Sun 30-Jun-13 16:08:46

Oh she IS a true 21st century feminist, in my book, despite her failings!

Bexicles Sun 30-Jun-13 16:09:37

I still like her, I remember reading her in the Melody Maker years ago. She's bright and articulate. Maybe she does come across as a 30 something mum still trying to be down, that's fine by me!

Chunderella Sun 30-Jun-13 16:12:06

She may be ten times the feminist themaltesecat, I don't know. You probably know better than I do on that score. This is the only piece of hers I've ever read, to my knowledge anyway (hope I'm not blowing anyone's cover by suggesting a pseudonym might have been used!).

I find the attempt at dealing with class issues in the article pretty unconvincing, though. Writing it as some luvvie looking down on the proles simply won't do. Moran, whatever you think of her, is one of a very small number of famous journalists to have had anything close to a working class upbringing. It seems rather odd to have a punt at her and not one of the ones who has marinated in unacknowledged privilege. Additionally, I really hope Fifi has herself experienced being a young woman on a council estate being shouted at and feeling threatened by working class men. If she hasn't, then I'm afraid that slagging Moran for articulating her experience of it does perhaps veer towards cuntlitude.

LadyBryan Sun 30-Jun-13 16:14:43

I find her utterly odious. HTBaW was utter tripe IMO

williaminajetfighter Sun 30-Jun-13 16:17:07

I don't mind her writing but have seen a few interviews with her - most recently at the Hay Festival - and she was soooo gobby and talkative like she was on coke. It was irritating and really turned me off.

Sadly I think a lot of 'personality-based' journalists quickly become caricatures of themselves...

stepawayfromthescreen Sun 30-Jun-13 16:31:46

she's very talented, but tries too hard to be young, fun and cool. I'd like her to be serious on occasion. Sometimes you need to calm the fuck down and grow up a little.

exoticfruits Sun 30-Jun-13 16:36:22

I find her very irritating and don't bother to read most of her articles. I inwardly groan a bit when I see the amount of space she is given some weeks.

AberdeenAngusina Sun 30-Jun-13 17:24:57

I like her.

gettingeasiernow Sun 30-Jun-13 17:25:34

Also find her massively overrated. Amusing sometimes admittedly, but there it ends. Find How to be a Woman very depressing.

luckypeach Mon 01-Jul-13 00:03:31

Initially I found HTBAW quite funny esp the bit about a fanny tax but by the end of it OH MY GOD I found her INTENSELY irritating and SO smug, I wanted to punch her. Her attitude came across as cavalier and trite when she wrote about having an abortion.

Think she tries too hard, can't bear her on twitter esp the chummy banter between her and her hampstead luvvie mates.

Don't believe for a minute that her home-schooling upbringing was as 'oh look at me, am working class me' as she makes out either. Think she's got a TV sitcom or series coming out soon, raised by wolves, god help us biscuit

CoolStoryBro Mon 01-Jul-13 00:33:27

I was very unimpressed with HTBAW but I loved Moranthology. I found it intelligent, perceptive and very witty.

I also don't think what she looks like is relevant at all.

DramaAlpaca Mon 01-Jul-13 00:44:20

YANBU. She's trying too hard to be young & cool & just comes across as irritating. I only read excerpts from HTBAW & that was more than enough. She's a grown woman writing in the style of an over-excited teenager and I find her extremely annoying.

YABU - she's brilliant. Compare the throwaway TV reviews with, for example, her article about library closures. Or even the non-throwaway TV reviews such as the Sri Lankan killings.

I had to unfollow her on Twitter due to the endless banter with Hampstead luvvie mates as well. My feed was cluttered up with her and Lauren Laverne talking to each other and it drove me NUTS. Use private messaging! Or email! Just... something private!

FridaKarlov Mon 01-Jul-13 10:17:35

I like her! I think How To Be A Woman is a decent pop feminism book- wish it was around when I was a teenager. I used to read Melody Maker a lot as a kid so have kind of grown up with her. Agree that she can come across as a bit of a knob sometimes and the luvvie banter with her contemporaries can grate, but I reckon she'd be a lot of fun to hang out with. Not sure why her appearance is relevant but for what it's worth I like her style. Is there some sort of unwritten rule that as soon as a woman hits her 30s and has kids she suddenly has to whip out the Boden catalogue?

wishingchair Mon 01-Jul-13 10:32:08

Love her on twitter (apart from the constant chat between her and Lauren Laverne!), can't get through How to be a Woman, refuse to buy the Times (just can't relate to it these days) so don't read her in there.

Yawn though at the debate on here about whether she is a proper feminist or not. What? Don't get it. Does she want equal rights for women and girls ... yes. Do I want equal rights for women and girls ... yes. Do "proper feminists" want equal rights for women and girls ... yes. We're all feminists. Let's not lose the point by getting tied up in pointless differentiating technicalities.

Trills Mon 01-Jul-13 10:36:39
Trills Mon 01-Jul-13 10:37:49

I enjoy her writing.

You don't.

Many other people do.

Many other people do not.

Yet more people have no opinion.

Where's the question of reasonableness?

BabCNesbitt Mon 01-Jul-13 10:38:52

Luckypeach, have you got reasons for suggesting that she's exaggerating the 'working class-ness' of her upbringing?

mignonette Mon 01-Jul-13 10:40:07

Accidentally self parodying. It seems to be hard to escape this with the tireless over promotion by those she is contracted to.

More seriously when she referred to 'Mentals' in a column after writing about her friend with Schizophrenia in a previous one was the day I stopped reading the hypocritical confused little dear. I took the mentals comment as a gesture of support for her little friend India seeing as it was published around that time.

MarmaladeTwatkins Mon 01-Jul-13 10:46:28

I used to LOVE her. proper fangirl, I was. Then...

She was a wanker with India Knight about mental health and she seems to have started to believe her own hype a bit so I have gone off her. And she was a wanker to someone I am friends with, when she was trying to prove herself at MM. The "apology" in the introduction of Moranthology didn't quite cut it either, Caitlin.

mignonette Mon 01-Jul-13 10:57:00

But didn't you all know CM taught womankind to masturbate whilst wearing eyeliner.....

What did we all do before her.....?

Snazzywaitingforsummer Mon 01-Jul-13 10:57:58

The 'mentals' references have pushed things over the edge a bit. I think she and India have both developed a bit of a 'don't you know who I am?' complex in response to any criticism even when they are in the wrong.

Marmalade I agree about believing the hype - shame as I think HTBAW has some good points - the sections about children, or not having children, and abortion are good, the bit about having to pay to have a vagina is really good as a focused argument to present to younger women - and overall is a good popular book about feminism. But the publicity around it was so hagiographic at times that it just became cringeworthy. The line on the blurb about it being 'The Female Eunuch rewritten from a bar stool', for instance, plus, among the slew of articles the Guardian published on it was the one with someone saying the history of feminism would now refer to 'Before Caitlin' and 'After Caitlin'. Come on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now