Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to not understand appeal of Caitlin Moran writing for The Times?

(316 Posts)
ARealDame Sun 30-Jun-13 11:37:07

She always has at least a couple of articles in The Times on Saturday, including her TV reviews, and seems to be heavily promoted there at the moment.

But I often find her writing cringeworthy e.g. this Saturday TV reviewing The White Queen headlines "She Makes Ingrid Bergman look like Someone Stuck Tits on a Turnip". Last Saturday, reviewing exactly the same programme (did anyone at The Times notice hmm?) the review headlined Battles, Castles and Tons of Fruity Historical Humping. Is she just being crass/offensive for the sake of it? And I find so much of her writing self-adulating plus impossible to make any sense of, a jumble of thoughtless sentences stuck together ... almost like a teenager on speed.

It seems a shame when The Times on Saturday has some enjoyable journalism e.g. the often brilliant Janice Turner, Matthew Paris, Giles Coran, plus some great review stuff of the Arts.

My heart just sinks when I see her bylines and picture. AIBU ?

Trills Thu 04-Jul-13 08:11:11
Snoopingforsoup Thu 04-Jul-13 14:41:30

southeastdweller
I get a bit suspicious when people start a bashing thread on here....
And maybe I'm just a bit fecked off with women being utter cunts to each other with hindsight.

Liz Jones I can understand the scorn. Caitlin Moran, I really can't.

MarmaladeTwatkins Thu 04-Jul-13 14:59:22

I said this when the IK backlash started on here after her monumental balls-up on MH... WHY are we, as women, expected to never judge or be critical of other women?! It's really patronising, actually. I don't believe it granting merit just because someone else happens to have a fanny. I find it a very odd concept. A cunt's a cunt, isn't it, regardless of gender? Where do you draw the line on not being able to criticise other women? Myra Hindley? Thatcher? What is the accepted threshold of distaste at which we are allowed to be critical of our own gender?

Snoopingforsoup Thu 04-Jul-13 19:31:47

Saying women look grubby is plain bitchy. She's not exactly a piss-sodden bus stop dweller is she?
That's not constructive - it's being a bitch for the sake of it.

Has no-one any common decency anymore?

There are plenty of grubby people commenting here, and to think they're raising children! Good luck with the charmers you're doubtless raising!

limitedperiodonly Thu 04-Jul-13 20:16:58

I see regarding Caitlin Moran as grubby as observational, in the same way that some of us might note the tragic irritants that are piss-sodden bus stop dwellers.

Being descriptive is FABULOUS!!! isn't it? And more so if we get CASH MONEY!!!! for it.

MarmaladeTwatkins Thu 04-Jul-13 20:17:44

"There are plenty of grubby people commenting here, and to think they're raising children! Good luck with the charmers you're doubtless raising!"

I just showed this to my DS and he said to tell you to go and boil your face.

Snazzywaitingforsummer Thu 04-Jul-13 20:41:27

Snooping Welcome to the internet. It has many downsides but some of its benefits are that more or less anyone who has uncensored access to it can share their opinions on stuff. 'Stuff' might include journalists. Since they themselves get this privilege all the time, in widely distributed media and for monetary rewards, it doesn't seem like a terribly unfair exchange to me.

Southeastdweller Thu 04-Jul-13 20:58:28

Be careful MT. You'll have Justine on here again moderating if you go too far. I bet there's been a certain amount of handwringing at MNHQ about some comments on here.

Snoopingforsoup Thu 04-Jul-13 21:24:59

Do you ever get sick of yourselves?

You have to ask your hubby for a response?

Lightweight!

Pagwatch Thu 04-Jul-13 21:46:52

My DS said wnkerwankerwankerwanker.
He isn't refined enough for 'boil yer face'

MarmaladeTwatkins Thu 04-Jul-13 22:10:42

Who asked their "hubby" <twitch> anything? confused

LOL at "welcome to the internet" grin

cocolepew United States Thu 04-Jul-13 22:17:30

My children are total charmers, it's just me who's a bitch.

ouryve Thu 04-Jul-13 22:20:12

I think I like your DSs, Marmalade and Pagwatch. So sweet of snooping to take cheap shots at people's children.

Pagwatch Thu 04-Jul-13 22:22:51

I missed 'welcome to the Internet ' grin

Arf.

Darkesteyes Thu 04-Jul-13 22:33:00

I like Caitlin Moran. I read HTBAW last year. Her observations on carers and how food is often their drug of choice because its cheaper than other substances was very insightful.

Southeastdweller Thu 04-Jul-13 22:33:51

flowers Snazzy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now