To think that 8 p.m. is too late for children to eat their tea?

(184 Posts)
whatever5 Sat 29-Jun-13 19:15:18

Dh cooks tea for us all on Saturday (I cook during the week) and as usual he is outside having a beer in the garden at 7 p.m. rather than getting on with cooking.

He can't see the problem and thinks that I am being unreasonable and "controlling" to be annoyed that the children (age 9 and 12) won't get any food until 8 p.m.

Am I being unreasonable?

ByTheSea Sun 30-Jun-13 12:20:25

That is our normal dinnertime.

AaDB Sun 30-Jun-13 12:39:01

This is about a passive aggressive adult making a point of making dinner later than the rest of the family.

It's not a snack they need, it's dinner.

Op's oh is bu and selfish.

I also need to know what they had for dinner and how long it took too make (nosy).

AaDB Sun 30-Jun-13 12:40:10

That should be one person wants dinner much later than the rest of the family.

TheDoctrineOfAllan Sun 30-Jun-13 13:22:42

Four friends want to go out for dinner.

Three of them want to eat at 7pm, one of them at 9pm.

The one who wants to eat at 9pm insists the other three do it their way, no compromise on a time in between or acknowledging they are outnumbered.

Who is the unreasonable one?

Shitsinger Sun 30-Jun-13 13:30:01

The OP said it was 8pm and then it turned into 8.40pm
Dinner readyat 8pm with DC that age is not too bad but clearly he is doing it to be a pain- no one else is happy with the arrangement.

What are you going to do OP ?

luxemburgerli Sun 30-Jun-13 14:53:30

Of course they COULD have a late lunch on a Saturday, or the OP COULD organise a snack/cook herself.

Or, the easiest solution: her DH could just start cooking a bit earlier and have his beer after.

merrymouse Sun 30-Jun-13 19:06:37

Or allan 4 flat mates cook for each other on a rota. 3 take into account everybody else's timetable and reliably put food on the table when expected.

The 4th flat mate thinks that's just too bourgeois and boring and he puts food

merrymouse Sun 30-Jun-13 19:07:58

On the table at some point during the evening, probably within a 2-3 hour window.

Which flat mate needs to pull his finger out?

BsshBossh Sun 30-Jun-13 19:51:07

I agree that weekends = more flexible routine but in this case (taking all your posts into consideration) your DH sounds a bit uptight, perhaps even a bit controlling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now