Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To Thank Thomas Cook for clarifying the matter of paying to sit beside your children

(295 Posts)
Groovee Sat 29-Jun-13 02:57:19

I flew Thomas Cook today to Florida. I paid extra for seats together and got to choose where we were sitting.

We decided to go on last because we had seats and there were near the cabin door. When I got settled a family were not happy that they had 5 single seats. The cabin crew were quite adamant that they could not ask customers who have paid to choose their seats to move.

So last weeks thread is solved gringringringrin

exoticfruits Sat 29-Jun-13 09:36:07

On a bus or a train of course your DC might sit next to a stranger. Strangers don't go on school trips!
The mind boggles at the imagination that people have about being molested under blankets etc. Do people not do 'what if ...........' Scenarios with their DCs? I would think that a loud 'stop touching me now' would do the trick- if they dared risk it in the first place. At 2yrs I embarrassed my mother when the bus conductor helped her by picking me up by saying 'put me down at once'! Therefore I am sure that an older child could manage it.
I think it common sense that airlines sit families together without getting more money out of them. However if I have paid to choose my seat then I am not moving.

Wonder how many paedophiles book flights on the off chance that they might be seated next to a stray child so they can get their pervy kicks. Airports must be full of them.

BringOn2014 Sat 29-Jun-13 09:43:57

exotic what you have just written is truly offensive to people who have been abused and just smacks of victim blaming. A 2yr old should be able to shout 'stop touching me now' ??!
You clearly dont know how terrifying it is to be in that kind of position so until you have been abused yourself and realise how difficult it is to 'speak up' just fuck off.

exoticfruits Sat 29-Jun-13 09:47:23

Sorry- I made that mistake once before and forgot. A 2 yr old isn't going to be away from a parent anyway. I would make it quite plain that you are allowed to shout and make a fuss- children are programmed to think that they can't hit them hard and yell. People round about will help- you are packed like sardines.

exoticfruits Sat 29-Jun-13 09:48:25

An airline can't put a real infant away from the carer.

StayAwayFromTheEdge Sat 29-Jun-13 09:49:35

When it comes down to airlines keep their prices low by adding in optional extras. It seems pretty clear that if you want to sit together that this is something you have to budget for and pay for, or risk sitting apart.

If you aren't bothered about being together you benefit by having cheaper airfare.

I don't really see the problem.

Longdistance Sat 29-Jun-13 09:50:16

My dd1 at 2 could barely speak, let alone tell someone to not touch her.

I agree Bing well out of order exotic

It's only time when the airlines will be banned from cashing in on their passengers.

StayAwayFromTheEdge Sat 29-Jun-13 09:51:48

Longdistance - The airlines will make the same money regardless of a ban on seating payments - they will just increase the price of a basic ticket for all.

exoticfruits Sat 29-Jun-13 09:52:08

I have apologised.
I still think they can't sit a 2yr old away from the carer.
Thomas Cook are useless anyway- they booked us, as a family of 4, into seats that didn't exist! We then got split up.

exoticfruits Sat 29-Jun-13 09:53:36

Prices look good on Easyjet until you realise that your suitcase could cost more than your seat!

Longdistance Sat 29-Jun-13 09:55:37

Stay away it's not the case of low airfares, it's the case of greedy fat cat airline CEO's, on what can we charge passengers for next, as they won't want to buy our soggy sandwiches, and booze.

SoupDragon Sat 29-Jun-13 09:56:30

Would you accept a stranger, totally unknown to anyone, get on the school trip bus and sit next to your child?

You would not expect to pay extra for this not to happen.

I already do pay to ensure this doesn't happen. That's why they are on a school trip with only approved travellers. Otherwise I'd stick them on public transport for less.

StayAwayFromTheEdge Sat 29-Jun-13 09:58:01

Rubbish - they know how much profit they need to make and will adjust prices accordingly. Airfare is ridiculously cheap on the low cost airlines - if you want to the extras you need to pay.

SoupDragon Sat 29-Jun-13 09:58:22

Paying for prebooked seating is not something that was ever included in the airfare. Allowing people to do so is an optional extra. In the Old Days you simply turned up to check in as early as possible. It's not like the airlines are charging for something that used to be free.

crashdoll Sat 29-Jun-13 10:18:53

I'm not sure why so many MNers are fixated on 'stranger danger' paedo hysteria when most children are sexually abused by adults who are well known to them.

CloudsAndTrees Sat 29-Jun-13 10:19:46

Being someone who pays, I'm glad to hear that Thomas Cook didn't ask anyone who had paid to move, but I'd still like to know if this family of five included small children.

Without that information the OP is pretty much useless.

MidniteScribbler Sat 29-Jun-13 10:43:26

I was really that none of the couples offered to swap. The flight was only an hour long. Surely it wouldn't really hurt to sit apart from your DP for an hour.

If I'm travelling with someone, then I want to actually travel with them. I would pay for the privilege of doing so if necessary. Regardless of whether it is a child, partner, parent, sibling, cousin or friend, why should I have to sit apart from my travelling companion, just because someone else wants to try and make a point and not pay?

LtEveDallas Sat 29-Jun-13 10:55:43

I'm not sure this confirms or clears anything up. A number of people on the other thread stated that they had seen children split from their families and others posted that they themselves had been split from partners etc (myself included).

I think it remains clear that until airlines stop wanting to make as much money as they possibly can (yeah right), or until legislation has passed making it LAW for airlines to seat parents and children together, then you either pay your money or take your chance.

What you cannot do is expect airlines or air stewards to move other passengers, especially those who have paid, so that you can be seated together, and neither can you get shirty with other passengers who you make ask to move, but politely refuse.

Groovee Sat 29-Jun-13 10:59:08

The children were not preschoolers. They were age around 10/11 and 8/9.

They had 5 single seats behind each other. That is classed as sitting together apparently.

exoticfruits Sat 29-Jun-13 11:02:21

I think that sums it up LtEveDallas. Even if it is a short flight I want to be sitting next to the people I am with and am not going to swap because they didn't pay to prebook seats. Once the DC is over 7 yrs they can manage for 2/3 hours in a different row.

exoticfruits Sat 29-Jun-13 11:04:21

Well that is fine Grooves- I can't see a problem. We were like that when Thomas Cook booked us into seats that didn't exist. We were close enough and got free drinks because they made a mistake.

Pozzled Sat 29-Jun-13 11:07:02

I'm definitely not one to see a paedophile round every corner, but I do think it would be very easy for strangers to take advantage on a flight if they wanted to. I imagine many children would be in shock, frightened and confused if it happened- not able to confidently yell 'Stop' and ask for help.

I've never flown with my family, but if I did I wouldn't take the risk of not being seated together.

heidihole Sat 29-Jun-13 11:10:16

boneyback I think you misunderstood my comment. I was asking if they were toddlers because I strongly doubted that they would be. OP has now confirmed that they weren't. Personally I don see the problem with a 10 yr old being a few seats from their parent if the parents didn't bother to pay for them to be closer.

If I had a 2 year old and they were seated miles away I'd be upset. But I doubt it happens because common sense would prevail.

exoticfruits Sat 29-Jun-13 11:11:46

I would just pay up.
As they get older you can't rely on always being there and you do have to discuss what they should do if they are uncomfortable, or worse, about a situation.

exoticfruits Sat 29-Jun-13 11:13:07

I really don't think that health and safety would allow a 2year to be separated. 8/9 yrs is fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now