Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To rip my skin off!

(43 Posts)
chickensaladagain Fri 28-Jun-13 22:18:39

Bloody eczema has flared up this week than it has in years

I've taken piriton, stolen dd's steroid cream and covered myself in her dermol lotion

But I still want to rip my skin off -argh!!

NumTumDeDum Fri 28-Jun-13 22:20:23

Yanbu. Horrible condition. Dd has it but not anywhere near as bad as you.

chickensaladagain Fri 28-Jun-13 22:26:15

It's also apparently affected my ability to type!

Worse than its been in years, hence no cream

My leg is bleeding -sob

Vaseline, it works better than anything for me, I just can't hold a cup or do anything without leaving a greasy streak once I get it rubbed all over my eczema.

Purple2012 Fri 28-Jun-13 22:35:05

I feel your pain. I get it on my legs too. I have a hairbrush I keep by the bed to scratch with in the night.

Fakebook Fri 28-Jun-13 22:35:59

I use aveeno for dry skin, but I've heard it's good for eczema sufferers too.

GW297 Fri 28-Jun-13 22:37:58

YADNBU! I sympathise.

5madthings Fri 28-Jun-13 22:41:31

Yanbu I get eczema and would quite happily sandpaper my skin at times. It is awful.

I can't use Vaseline as I am allergic to it.
Is it dry? Can you think of anything that may have triggered it?

Sometimes lightly slapping/pinching my skin helps relieve the itch without making the skin more sore...

Distraction techniques?

WallaceWindsock Fri 28-Jun-13 22:42:15

I've been to the doctors today for exactly this! In three days its broken out everywhere, hands, arms, legs, feet, chest, face. It's bleeding and looks infected but GP said three days is too quick fr it to be infected. He's sent me away with tonnes of steroid and I'm praying t works as I too want to rip my skin offhmm

heritagewarrior Fri 28-Jun-13 22:42:42

I feel your pain. I do the hairbrush thing too, but also often 'skin' my fingers in the winter rubbing them on the sharp edges of table tops or door frames. Feels orgasmic when you're doing it (huge relief from the itching) but stings like buggery about 20 mins afterwards, and then scabs over and looks really disgusting....

WallaceWindsock Fri 28-Jun-13 22:43:54

I know it's not sensible but the only thing that kills the itching for me is a scalding hot bath followed to a blast of freezing water from shower. Have to moisturise loads afterwards but it stops the itching.

chickensaladagain Fri 28-Jun-13 22:44:24

I'm wondering if its anything to do with the pollen count -is that even possible?

Most of my skin is sandpaper dry but my elbows, behind my knees and my feet are all blistery and weepy sad

5madthings Fri 28-Jun-13 22:48:12

Yep could be pollen, I am affected by that.

I have used a comb to itch with... Not good but argghhhh its awful sad

nokidshere Fri 28-Jun-13 22:49:47

I hear you!

I have a massive flare up psoriasis at the moment - the worst I have had for about 15 years - its itchy, painful and gross!

I covered myself in betnovate last night just to get some fairly quick relief!!!

Yes could be. I did read somewhere that bathing in bet diluted bleach helps ?!

*very not bet

froggies Fri 28-Jun-13 22:51:34

DD's has appeared this week too. You have my sympathy but no new advice.

trikken Fri 28-Jun-13 22:54:42

My psoriasis is playing up too. Its on my scalp so not a lot helps.

iheartshoes Fri 28-Jun-13 22:56:49

Have u tried camomille lotion ? I used to use that. Keep in fridge so it is ice cold when u put it on ... Bliss. Also when I was little my mum used to put these kind of bandages on for me, not sure what they were but were covered in yellows stuff which really soothed and where the bandages were on I couldn't itch. If you google eczema bandages the info comes up (sorry I can't find proper name) . I really feel for y, it's a bugger sad

Helpyourself Fri 28-Jun-13 22:57:32

I'm wondering if its anything to do with the pollen count -is that even possible? yes- from experience. Do not scratch 3 years ago I was on 3 different antihistamines and my arms were so swollen I couldn't bend them. I'm sure the scratching exacerbated it and I started reacting to the antihistamines. Cut your nails very short, wear cotton lose stuff to protect your skin and shower to remove pollen/ general debris constantly as often as you need to.

iheartshoes Fri 28-Jun-13 22:57:42

Calamine lotion sorry not camomille !

DDs is awful too at the moment. We are trying essential oils in her bath (bergamot, blue camomile and rosemary) and calendula cream. The steroid cream and emollient from the doctor were doing nothing and the poor kid had ripped her skin to shreds sad

I Feel for you it must be horrible.

Yddraigoldragon Fri 28-Jun-13 23:05:42

Best thing I found to stop itching and prevent scratching (I get dreadful eczema patches on hands and feet) is haelan tape.

It is expensive, was prescribed by consultant but is amazing stuff. Steroid delivered by the tape to skin, can be left on for 12 hours and soothes while it is on.

Anyone else tried it?

chickensaladagain Fri 28-Jun-13 23:07:37

Ooo I've got some of that -dd gets it on prescription

Not sure I can justify stealing that though

HomelessAngua Fri 28-Jun-13 23:13:00

Shower using porridge oats, put them in s stocking,tie stocking around shower head. Mine is much much worse this year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now