To wonder WTF is so special about Sandbanks?

(61 Posts)
PatPig Fri 28-Jun-13 15:03:57

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2350655/Couple-paid-record-3-5million-dilapidated-Sandbanks-home-refused-permission-transform-luxury-bed-house.html

The beach is decent enough, but there are plenty better in the UK, it's a long slog to London by train, it's choked by traffic on a sunny day, no motorway, little in the way of shops, and so on.

jollygoose Sun 30-Jun-13 16:13:10

actually sandbanks has been exclusive for more than 60 years. When my dps got married they were offered a house there, the sale price was £450 but they needed £50 deposit which was way out of their range. Shame I would have enjoyed growing up there but made do with Southbourne which is still lovely.

Latara Sun 30-Jun-13 13:39:30

Southbourne / Fisherman's Walk is lovely. So is Alum Chine up to Canford Cliffs.

If i had the money i'd live in Branksome Park where the same money buys a huge house with a pool and large grounds.

Or i'd live in a big house in the New Forest near Lymington or Burley; or in the Purbecks.

soverylucky Sun 30-Jun-13 12:13:26

Swanage is lovely and I also love barnton on sea - a little further east.

GobbySadcase Sun 30-Jun-13 12:01:57

There are far nicer places on the Sussex/Dorset/Devon and Cornwall coasts tbh.

Not full of flashy monstrosities. No idea why that plan was rejected, it's entirely in keeping with what others have done there.

noddyholder Sun 30-Jun-13 11:58:49

My son is going to Bournemouth uni in Sept We have been several times and tbh I didn't like it at all and Sandbanks which is up the road is especially horrible!

mummylin Sun 30-Jun-13 11:55:53

I also love Swanage ! I think all our surrounding areas are just lovely. We are lucky I think to live here, but don't always appreciate it as its just normal for us. Roll on aug for the air show !!!

fashionlover76 Sun 30-Jun-13 11:46:39

I have many happy memories of Sandbanks as all our childhood holidays were there in the 70s & 80s. Back then it was just a regular 'bucket & spade' seaside holiday destination. I think it has been totally spoilt now, it's so flashy.
We go to Swanage instead. The lovely National Trust beaches at Studland are beautiful and unspoilt, and Swanage is brilliant, a proper old-fashioned seaside town. In fact I just got back from a week there and I have post-holiday blues now!

I love Corfe. I imagine the house prices are pretty massive there too.

Christchurch is still quite nice and quiet compared to Bournemouth. We're very lucky.

I also love Alum Chine. It's very pretty.

EliotNess Sun 30-Jun-13 11:01:08

i like alum chine.

Satnightdropout Sun 30-Jun-13 11:00:43

I live 5 mins up the road from sandbanks and must admit we don't fully appreciate it as we've lived there all our lives.
It's a nice beach but gets ridiculously crowded in summer. I usually take my son down to Hamworthy park instead - the beach isn't as nice but it's got a decent park, huge paddling pool and the fields are spacey.

EliotNess Sun 30-Jun-13 10:53:07

its the seaside innit

Plus other wealthy folk

mummylin Sun 30-Jun-13 10:49:46

petercambell I'm with you. The only time I go down town is if I am going to BIC or Pavilion for a show. I find the large groups of people queuing to get in the nightclubs a bit intimidating.
My dd lives near Chritschurch and goes there now and again on a Sat night. I love All round the area there. If I could pick a place to live I think Corfe is lovely. May go into Poole today as there is a folk festival on the quay I think.

Floppityflop Sun 30-Jun-13 10:36:13

If I could afford to I would certainly not mind living in Sandbanks, but it's a problem I don't have to worry about for now. :-)

mummytime Sun 30-Jun-13 10:32:16

My Geologist would never let me spend that much on land which is going to disappear sooner rather than later.

It is very beautiful, but if I was that rich there are places in the world I'd much rather live/own a second home.

Mummylin- I never go out into Bournemouth on a Saturday night anymore. It's become horrendous.

I went out in Christchurch last night and there were 3 hen parties which I quite surprised about but not on the scale of Bournemouth.

mummylin Sun 30-Jun-13 10:02:29

Just as another bit of info. John lennons aunt Mimi had a house at sandbanks, it's now demolished and another house built in its place !

mummylin Sun 30-Jun-13 10:00:36

I live in Bournemouth and its about15 mins from where I live, I love Sandbanks and especially " millionaires row " you can't actually see many of the houses because they are quite far back from the road or there are trees there. It is a lovely place to be and the views from their back gardens must be spectacular.
However I agree with the poster who said Bournemouth town centre is a hen and stag area. I don't very often venture down town any more as there are hordes of people around. But we have a beautiful beach and the gardens are beautiful.
But they do say that eventually Sandbanks will be under water !

harryhausen Sun 30-Jun-13 09:57:19

I'm an Anglesey girl (lots of great beaches) and I'd rate Sandbanks. We camped in a fantastic campsite Poole when dd was little. I thought the beach was great. Lovely atmosphere, great feel.

If I had the money I definitely would.

I love sandbanks, becasue when you are in sandbanks you know you are only a short way from swanage and that is where all the happiness in the world lives.

tupuedes Sun 30-Jun-13 09:51:11

The attraction is that it is very expensive. So you can buy a place there knowing you don't have to mix it up with the plebs.

notaverynicemum Sun 30-Jun-13 09:29:17

I expect so many are for sale because they have never been homes - just status symbols for rich idiots who now want their cash to "invest" in the latest trendy status symbol.

MrsLouisTheroux Sat 29-Jun-13 08:49:03

Just had a look on right move! There are a lot of properties for sale for such a small area! I wonder why so many houses are for sale?

MrsLouisTheroux Sat 29-Jun-13 07:49:08

All 3 houses look pretty awful to me! The two either side look like holiday apartment blocks in Blackpool and the squished one in the middle just looks neglected.
The 'gardens' don't look very nice. Are people mad?
<goes to google sandbanks to see if there is anything nice about the place>

SoggySummer Fri 28-Jun-13 17:08:01

OMG - my typing is awful.

I meant like SHEEP not sheets!!!

SoggySummer Fri 28-Jun-13 17:07:27

Its been ruined by all the millionaire imo. Was a lovely little place 20/30 years ago.

Not much community anymore and just a load of rich idiots following each other like sheet because its the current "in" place!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now