Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To wonder WTF is so special about Sandbanks?

(61 Posts)
PatPig Fri 28-Jun-13 15:03:57

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2350655/Couple-paid-record-3-5million-dilapidated-Sandbanks-home-refused-permission-transform-luxury-bed-house.html

The beach is decent enough, but there are plenty better in the UK, it's a long slog to London by train, it's choked by traffic on a sunny day, no motorway, little in the way of shops, and so on.

TwasBrillig Fri 28-Jun-13 16:02:00

Its one of the most expensive places to buy in the world. (which I think is nuts!)

FauxFox Fri 28-Jun-13 16:03:47

I live in Poole not far from Sandbanks and it is a completely wonderful place to live, beach after school on sunny days or for breakfast at the weekend before any crowds turn up, fabulous schools, I run by the sea three times a week for free instead of going to the gym, the sea air, the people are lovely, the kids will have an amazing time hanging out at the beach, sailing/windsurfing etc as they get older, it has everything I want. The only thing is house prices are so high that we rent just now but we'll save up eventually. I hope I never have to leave smile

TwasBrillig Fri 28-Jun-13 16:04:06

I certainly wouldn't want to be so close to other people and nearby canford cliffs would be much nicer, but wouldn't have direct harbour access as many of those do.

pollywollydoodle Fri 28-Jun-13 16:04:11

we've been there a couple of times, it's pleasant enough witth good accessibility to the beach via boardwalks but nothing special...

I live down the road and it is a beautiful part of the country to live in.

Most of the houses are 2nd homes from what I can gather.

I definitely don't know anyone who lives there.grin

FauxFox Fri 28-Jun-13 16:22:07

I don't either pete grin

FrenchRuby Fri 28-Jun-13 16:37:00

I live 5 mins away and it's lovely in the summer, especially in the evenings when all the massive crowds have g

FrenchRuby Fri 28-Jun-13 16:37:31

Ooops pressed post by accident.
Especially when the big crowds have gone home.

notJenkins Fri 28-Jun-13 16:39:09

It is lovely when there are no tourists here !

reelingintheyears Fri 28-Jun-13 16:54:56

I don't mind the tourists ,prefer Studland beach though and Middle beach.
We were over in Swanage and Corfe on Tuesday and were watching the SBS parachuting into Poole bay from Middle beach,the tourists were loving it.
Shame they're moving to Plymouth soon.

At the Bournemouth end of the bay Southbourne and Hengistbury head would be my preference for beaches.

reelingintheyears Fri 28-Jun-13 16:59:22

The nearest people I know to live there are in Sherwood Avenue just off Sandbanks road,they have fantastic views over the harbour to the Purbecks.

SoggySummer Fri 28-Jun-13 17:07:27

Its been ruined by all the millionaire imo. Was a lovely little place 20/30 years ago.

Not much community anymore and just a load of rich idiots following each other like sheet because its the current "in" place!

SoggySummer Fri 28-Jun-13 17:08:01

OMG - my typing is awful.

I meant like SHEEP not sheets!!!

MrsLouisTheroux Sat 29-Jun-13 07:49:08

All 3 houses look pretty awful to me! The two either side look like holiday apartment blocks in Blackpool and the squished one in the middle just looks neglected.
The 'gardens' don't look very nice. Are people mad?
<goes to google sandbanks to see if there is anything nice about the place>

MrsLouisTheroux Sat 29-Jun-13 08:49:03

Just had a look on right move! There are a lot of properties for sale for such a small area! I wonder why so many houses are for sale?

notaverynicemum Sun 30-Jun-13 09:29:17

I expect so many are for sale because they have never been homes - just status symbols for rich idiots who now want their cash to "invest" in the latest trendy status symbol.

tupuedes Sun 30-Jun-13 09:51:11

The attraction is that it is very expensive. So you can buy a place there knowing you don't have to mix it up with the plebs.

I love sandbanks, becasue when you are in sandbanks you know you are only a short way from swanage and that is where all the happiness in the world lives.

harryhausen Sun 30-Jun-13 09:57:19

I'm an Anglesey girl (lots of great beaches) and I'd rate Sandbanks. We camped in a fantastic campsite Poole when dd was little. I thought the beach was great. Lovely atmosphere, great feel.

If I had the money I definitely would.

mummylin Sun 30-Jun-13 10:00:36

I live in Bournemouth and its about15 mins from where I live, I love Sandbanks and especially " millionaires row " you can't actually see many of the houses because they are quite far back from the road or there are trees there. It is a lovely place to be and the views from their back gardens must be spectacular.
However I agree with the poster who said Bournemouth town centre is a hen and stag area. I don't very often venture down town any more as there are hordes of people around. But we have a beautiful beach and the gardens are beautiful.
But they do say that eventually Sandbanks will be under water !

mummylin Sun 30-Jun-13 10:02:29

Just as another bit of info. John lennons aunt Mimi had a house at sandbanks, it's now demolished and another house built in its place !

Mummylin- I never go out into Bournemouth on a Saturday night anymore. It's become horrendous.

I went out in Christchurch last night and there were 3 hen parties which I quite surprised about but not on the scale of Bournemouth.

mummytime Belgium Sun 30-Jun-13 10:32:16

My Geologist would never let me spend that much on land which is going to disappear sooner rather than later.

It is very beautiful, but if I was that rich there are places in the world I'd much rather live/own a second home.

Floppityflop Sun 30-Jun-13 10:36:13

If I could afford to I would certainly not mind living in Sandbanks, but it's a problem I don't have to worry about for now. :-)

mummylin Sun 30-Jun-13 10:49:46

petercambell I'm with you. The only time I go down town is if I am going to BIC or Pavilion for a show. I find the large groups of people queuing to get in the nightclubs a bit intimidating.
My dd lives near Chritschurch and goes there now and again on a Sat night. I love All round the area there. If I could pick a place to live I think Corfe is lovely. May go into Poole today as there is a folk festival on the quay I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now