would you go swimming while on a period

(149 Posts)
McNewPants2013 Thu 27-Jun-13 15:44:02

Every thursday i take the DC swimming ( ds has a lesson so I go in with DD)

Its been fine up to now, but i am at the end of my period. Would it be disguesting if i was to wear my mooncup and continue to take them today.

the alternitive is DD not going today.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

oldsilver Sun 30-Jun-13 01:25:07

47, full peri mode and swim - I only avoid the first day because I don't feel like doing anything let alone haul myself off to the local pool.

I actually started using a mooncup because I couldn't deal with periods, tampons and swimming especially after having a pink leak in the changing rooms on stupidly going there to pick a fresh tampon. Oh the joy as I watched the rosy trickle go down towards the drain and all along the pool - being poolside changing rooms, just as the lifeguard was doing the hosing down at the end of the session blush

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Sun 30-Jun-13 00:55:51

Lweji - do fuck off there's a dear.

Nottalotta Sat 29-Jun-13 15:01:38

Although......was hospitalised as a result of toxic shock syndrome, so if my periods ever make a come back i won't be swimming .....

Nottalotta Sat 29-Jun-13 14:57:34

I haven't had a period in years since having the depo proverajab, but prior to that had very heavy periods as a teenager. Always managed with a super sized tampon - change it just before swimming. Never had any issues with it absorbing water though! Just a damp string....

Lweji Sat 29-Jun-13 14:36:28

There I was thinking that this was a nice, non controversial thread with people giving suggestions about how to swim during their periods and giving personal testimonies of how they do it, or not, and then comes someone with a chip on their shoulder claiming to have been called pathetic.
Sigh.

Sometimes I go swimming, sometimes I don't. It depends on the period and how I'm feeling.
It's a very personal choice.

MrsHoarder Sat 29-Jun-13 08:12:26

Stunt three are prescription-only nsaids which might help more if you speak to your gp

Littleballofhate Sat 29-Jun-13 05:00:58

I am 48, with attendant peri menopausal periods. I adore swimming. Just chuck a tampon in before swim and off I go.

StuntGirl Sat 29-Jun-13 01:56:10

I refuse to believe ibuprofen reduces the flow because I cannot fathom what a 'real' period would be for me if I wasn't taking it!

mercury7 Sat 29-Jun-13 01:25:25

At the very least I suppose undetectable traces of blood are bound to leach out into the water, along with all the other traces of everyones bodily fluids, snot, hair, piss, skin etc that ends up in the pool.

I try not to think about all that when I'm doing my lengths confused hmm

Startail Fri 28-Jun-13 23:37:48

45 and swim quite happly, but I take the mini pill and scarcely have periods.

I have absolutely no intention of stopping anytime soon

specialsubject Fri 28-Jun-13 21:06:20

the question is 'can I swim on my period?'. It is an OPTION. It isn't compulsory.

hopefully some people have learned something.

redrubyshoes Fri 28-Jun-13 21:03:02

Chipping

I understand. Even in a hot bath which helps with the cramps I can push out huge clots of blood.

The thought of that happening in a public pool is just horrible. I leak through super plus Lilets.

<shudders>

SugarMouse1 Fri 28-Jun-13 02:01:07

Ijustbluemyself

I thought that was true! When I'm in the shower or having a bath- the bleeding actually does stop for me!

I still use a tampon when swimming just because of getting in and out.

CoolStoryBro Fri 28-Jun-13 01:55:59

I have my own pool and don't go in on my heaviest days. I don't really care if people think I'm being delicate about it tbh. I wouldn't even get into a swimsuit on a bleeeurgh day.

Mimishimi Fri 28-Jun-13 01:51:43

With a tampon in the pool on the tail end of my period, yes. In the first couple of days no. In the ocean, never, due to the tiny risk of sharks picking up my scent grin

sashh Fri 28-Jun-13 01:05:51

Swimming with a tampon fine, but don't use one in the dead sea.

chickenliversfortea Thu 27-Jun-13 23:37:44

Chipping -oooohhh! Who's saying you are pathetic? In answer to Op consensus is you can swim unless you have a really heavy flow. In which case you can't

But oh yes poor you since you made it about how we all feel about each other.

BreconBeBuggered Thu 27-Jun-13 23:35:45

Who'd have thought a simple question could be so divisive, Chipping?

I don't go swimming during my period, but then again I don't go swimming during the rest of the month either. Does that make me more or less pathetic and 19th-century than those who otherwise swim regularly, I wonder?

LivingThings Thu 27-Jun-13 23:19:58

I have used tampons for nearly 30 years and will happily swim with one but I have never had one soak up pool water! A tampon is quite deep inserted and its not a gaping hole you have there!

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Thu 27-Jun-13 22:53:44

Which ones exactly Curlew?

curlew Thu 27-Jun-13 22:49:36

No, you're not strange, lillibet- you are sensible and rational. Some of the attitudes on this thread seem to be hang overs from the Nineteenth century!

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Thu 27-Jun-13 22:49:23

You know what - it really pisses me off when you have a thread full of women explaining why they cannot swim when they have their period and others come on saying how ridiculous it is not to and how they always swim and they'd never let a period stop them doing anything, it's not the 1800's etc etc etc.

Well, news flash. We are all different.

There's no way on this earth you'd get me in a swimming pool when I have my period these days. I can barely contain it without adding water into the equasion.

I used to be able to - no problem at all. Then I hit 40, I can no longer take the pill and hey presto... periods from hell that would definitely make for a Big Mess in the pool.

But no... just keep telling us we're pathetic, that's fine.

hmm

lillibet1 Thu 27-Jun-13 22:32:13

maybe I am strange about these things but I use tampons and have always swum no they don't absorb water and let blood in to the swimming pool. maybe i'm using them wrong but they have not caused me a problem for the last 25 years, tuck the sting inside and hay presto no one knows or cares and you can take your DD swimming

Buddhagirl Thu 27-Jun-13 22:16:32

I don't think I've ever not taken ibuprofen during a period. Also think I'll continue to do that. Interesting

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now